Earthquake

Old May 31st 2012, 8:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I know what you mean .. it's happening all the time here.

We saw a big one in the wall of the factory where I work after Tuesday . .the amministratore assures us it's been there all the time....
Oh God, it's so not nice is it?

Was going to send a message to OH but then thought better of it. Why worry him in Russia? And he can't do sod all about anything from there.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oh God, it's so not nice is it?

Was going to send a message to OH but then thought better of it. Why worry him in Russia? And he can't do sod all about anything from there.
Bloody hell - Russia!? We even hate it now when we have to go off to our respective work places, 50 km away from each other. Every morning it's like I'm going off to war or summat.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:26 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

He should be home on Saturday.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

tonber is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hell - have just found a crack in my kitchen floor !!!!!!

I gave the kitchen floor a damn good cleaning last Saturday after making all those pop cakes and the kids getting sprinkles and hundreds and thousands all over. I gave it another quick once over after that and I'm pretty sure I didn't see any cracks.

The crack runs through the black cement type stuff that is around the marble pieces of the palladiana flooring and it goes around the marble pieces.

It's not deep, only a milimetre or two. I have stuck cocktail sticks in it so that you can see. It's long though - looks like it goes all the way under the sink at one side of the kitchen and under the cabinets at the other side.

I have a similar crack to this (but smaller) in the entrance. That one has been there for as long as I can remember and I was told that it's just because there is a central heating pipe underneath it and the cement has dried out over the years and split. Underneath the palladiana there is a solid concrete base.

What do I do about it? Do I just leave it like the other one has been left all these years as it's only superifcial?
Hi,

If your feeling brave, you could try removing a little bit of the grout to see if the crack goes down to the cement below, hopefully it won't.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tonber
Hi,

If your feeling brave, you could try removing a little bit of the grout to see if the crack goes down to the cement below, hopefully it won't.
None of the grout around the crack line is loose or can be lifted up or removed. It all feels pretty solid.
I'd have to dig down a couple of inches before getting to the base.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

None of the grout around the crack line is loose or can be lifted up or removed. It all feels pretty solid.
You'll be needing an ingegnere!
Old May 31st 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

tonber is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds like too much work, anyway if it feels pretty solid, hopefully its ok.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:49 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna,
my take for what it is worth is I think Mark is probably right and would add that you might want to wait until normality returns (hopeful very soon) and then get an expert in to have a look at it just in case and maybe to seal the crack too.

Mike
Old May 31st 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Lorna,
my take for what it is worth is I think Mark is probably right and would add that you might want to wait until normality returns (hopeful very soon) and then get an expert in to have a look at it just in case and maybe to seal the crack too.

Mike

Thanks all of you.

I know the floor is deep because I once asked a plumber to change the position of my loo. He said it just wasn't worth it as he'd have to drill up all the floor (same stuff as the kitchen) and dig out all the bits and then it would all have to be levelled off and filled in and then we'd have to tile it as there is no way you can get that palladiana back down once you've dug it up.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Thanks all ..

another 3.6 at 6.20 this morning...

what's that about 'il buongiorno si vede dal mattino..?
I didn't feel the one this morning (perhaps that's a good thing!) As it is, we sleep fully clothed and with a bag by the door to make a quick getaway!
Old May 31st 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by K in Modena
I didn't feel the one this morning (perhaps that's a good thing!) As it is, we sleep fully clothed and with a bag by the door to make a quick getaway!
That is scary !
Old May 31st 2012, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

That is scary !
It makes us feel better I guess. I think what's worrying is being responsible for a small child. If it were just the two of us we might be a bit more relaxed about it. A bit!
Old May 31st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

It makes us feel better I guess. I think what's worrying is being responsible for a small child. If it were just the two of us we might be a bit more relaxed about it. A bit!
Yup..know what you mean, we also have bags (and valuables) at the ready but I must insist on wearing proper pyjamas to bed!

Old May 31st 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Gosh K in Modena,

I hope it calms down for you and everyone else that is affected.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Breaking news: schools closed in Ferrara until September.... I don't know if they've decided the same in Modena, K

brilliant! So what about those who are taking exams? what about those who don't where to put their kids? .... the list goes on.

Naturally no valid "alternatives" have been given ..

Comment from co-worker whose OH is a teacher .."Oh good, cos my wife is so stressed out from looking after kids.." WTF??!?!?!??!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.