Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dual Passport UK/ITALY for my baby.

Dual Passport UK/ITALY for my baby.

Old May 22nd 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

chaniemoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Passport UK/ITALY for my baby.

I am a UK Citizen and my partner is an Italian Citizen.
I am due to give birth in the UK this August and am trying to get an understanding on a passport for her and acquiring dual citizenship.

any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chanie
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Passport UK/ITALY for my baby.

Your child will be a British citizen by birth. You apply for her British passport in the usual manner.

In order to obtain her Italian passport you should first register the birth with the Italian authorities. More information is available from the Italian consulate here.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Do I have to register her birth with the Italian consulate in London or can this all be done when we return to Italy ?
Thankyou for your help!
Apologies for the ridiculously delayed reply!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaniemoon
Do I have to register her birth with the Italian consulate in London or can this all be done when we return to Italy ?
Thankyou for your help!
Apologies for the ridiculously delayed reply!
Knowing a little about Italian bureaucracy I would strongly advice registering your daughter's birth in London rather than trying to do it in Italy.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

...(and one more for the road...)

Sorry, but couldn't resist
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

I have been reading up online a fair amount on the Italian Consulate Website about Registration and Passports for my baby and there are a few issues that confuse me as nothing seems to be completely straight forward. it states that one of us has to be registered with A.I.R.E before doing so...

I just want to be sure that when we go back to Italy 6 weeks after her birth that she has dual nationality and has all the necessary rights.

I'm getting very confused as I have to register her birth with both UK and Italian Authorities and acquire her passport from both.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure what you are insinuating...

Originally Posted by arjacey
...(and one more for the road...)

Sorry, but couldn't resist
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:31 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reading up online a fair amount on the Italian Consulate Website about Registration and Passports for my baby and there are a few issues that confuse me as nothing seems to be completely straight forward. it states that one of us has to be registered with A.I.R.E before doing so...

I just want to be sure that when we go back to Italy 6 weeks after her birth that she has dual nationality and has all the necessary rights.

I'm getting very confused as I have to register her birth with both UK and Italian Authorities and acquire her passport from both.
If your Italian partner isn't resident in the UK, he can't register with AIRE. You'll have to register junior here in Italy. Get a copy of junior's birth certificate and notarized It will then need to be translated. A copy because the Italians have a habit of pinching originals even when it's not necessary or needed. Don't stress too much about Italian citizenship, it's fairly straight forward.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Am I not able to register her birth with the Italian Consulate in London at all then?
I saw that I can send a full birth certificate alongside apostille and translation and they can register her birth with the anagrafe back in Italy.
I am just worried that if I leave it 6 or more weeks and then go back to italy with her having NO Italian Documents it will make a problem and my partner is very keen to sort it out as soon as she is born as we quite hectic lives.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:29 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I not able to register her birth with the Italian Consulate in London at all then?
I saw that I can send a full birth certificate alongside apostille and translation and they can register her birth with the anagrafe back in Italy.
I am just worried that if I leave it 6 or more weeks and then go back to italy with her having NO Italian Documents it will make a problem and my partner is very keen to sort it out as soon as she is born as we quite hectic lives.

You should be able to even if your baby's partner isn't registered in the UK. Have you contacted the Consulate to ask specifically if you can registered the baby with them? You plan to come to Italy, but what if you hadn't? Junior is Italian and they would have had to register him. However, it might be easier to register him directly in Italy because transfering his registration might take a few weeks. In theory, an Italian is resident from the day of requesting residency, but with a baby transferring from another country, the comune might lean towards cautious. Are you registered in Italy?

Last edited by 37100; Jul 23rd 2017 at 1:32 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

I plan on calling the consulate today to ask them what they suggest but from previous experience of trying to get in touch with the consulate its never easy!
I am not registered in Italy yet but when we go back will be needing to do this also. I just wish I could get it all sorted before going back, would be handy if I could also do for myself. I just want to go to Italy all together 6 weeks after she is born and have everything in place but I know this is being very optimistic!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a UK Citizen and my partner is an Italian Citizen.
I am due to give birth in the UK this August and am trying to get an understanding on a passport for her and acquiring dual citizenship.

any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chanie
You can even get tri-nationality for your baby if you give birth in Northern Ireland - British / Irish & Italian citizenships for the little one!
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

we plan to move to Italy in about 6 weeks time and will stay there permanately. Myself , my partner and our baby who was born four days ago.

My partner is already an italian citizen.

I need to be sure that before I go back , both myself and my daughter have the correct documents and certificates already sorted as we need to go back knowing we have access to healthcare as citizens . She will be needed examinations and vaccinations and I want to sort this from England before we move so that we already have citizenship when we arrive . Is this possible ?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

our baby who was born four days ago.
Sorry, i can't be of more help but just wanted to say congratulations!!

Contact the consulate. Hope you get it sorted.