Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship - pros/cons

Dual citizenship - pros/cons

Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Dual citizenship - pros/cons

Hi All,

I have searched the forum and various sites already on this, but would appreciate your direct input hence this thread.

I am a Brit and my husband is Italian. I previously lived in Italy for around 10years, whilst now we both live in the UK.

We have both started to think about applying for UK/Italian citizenship to give us both dual citizenship.
On my part it would be so that I can enter Italy and the rest of Europe without issue post-Brexit. OH is not as motivated since we plan to stay as UK residents.

We do not plan to return to live in Italy - but who knows in years to come.

I'm a little concerned that Italy will put some kind of tax on me for having any connection with Italy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any input.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship - pros/cons

As far as British citizenship for your husband is concerned there is no downside other than the cost of the application. Applying now before Brexit would be a wise decision given the current uncertainty over future status. AFAIK becoming an Italian citizen would have no disadvantages for you. Others may be able to give you a more informed opinion.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

What 'con' could there be.? You cant be taxed just because you are a citizen - (if it were possible you should worry about the UK more than Italy), and you get to have a drawer full of passports like Jason Bourne!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks both for your replies. I can't think of any disadvantages, except as I touched on that there are so many taxes that perhaps Italy could find some reason to tax me for something
I think I will go for it.
Assume I can do it through the Italian consulate.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 12:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Thanks both for your replies. I can't think of any disadvantages, except as I touched on that there are so many taxes that perhaps Italy could find some reason to tax me for something
I think I will go for it.
Assume I can do it through the Italian consulate.
You can.

Italian citizenship by virtue of being married to an italian citizen
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you BritInParis!
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've started going through the points in the link from BritInParis's link.

This may take some time .......Will probably take me up to Brexit with all the to and fro-ing. I though that getting our marriage recognised in Italy was hardwork, but that is only point 1 of an 8 point list.

Back to the hunt for my birth certificate....

Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I've started going through the points in the link from BritInParis's link.

This may take some time .......Will probably take me up to Brexit with all the to and fro-ing. I though that getting our marriage recognised in Italy was hardwork, but that is only point 1 of an 8 point list.

Back to the hunt for my birth certificate....

If you were born in England or Wales then you can order a new copy from the GRO for £9.25.