Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship and how to proceed now!

Dual Citizenship and how to proceed now!

Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

OliveCameToo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship and how to proceed now!

I'm becoming a bit down about my, already too long, journey to claim my dual citizenship!

Briefly, application turned down (June 2016) due to Italian Mum losing citizenship through marrying an English man. Consulate informed me I had to find proof she reaquired Italian citizenship.

Meanwhile, we moved to Italy to live.

Found said documents, sent them off several weeks ago. Had an email answer yesterday saying

"We have received your letter on the 8th March 2017 informing us that you moved to live to Italy.
Therefore we are not able to process in London your application because we have not Consular jurisdiction anymore
according to your new Country of residence.
We are not able either to send you the documents in your file.
If you wish you could apply for the Italian citizenship again where you are residing now."

They didnt even bother telling me if the certificate was enough proof! Nor did they say they would now amend Mum's file.

Swore......a lot.

Ironically, I had asked on here whether it would be quicker doing the business in Italy rather than sending docs to London!

What now?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: Dual Citizenship and how to proceed now!

Originally Posted by OliveCameToo
I'm becoming a bit down about my, already too long, journey to claim my dual citizenship!

Briefly, application turned down (June 2016) due to Italian Mum losing citizenship through marrying an English man. Consulate informed me I had to find proof she reaquired Italian citizenship.

Meanwhile, we moved to Italy to live.

Found said documents, sent them off several weeks ago. Had an email answer yesterday saying

"We have received your letter on the 8th March 2017 informing us that you moved to live to Italy.
Therefore we are not able to process in London your application because we have not Consular jurisdiction anymore
according to your new Country of residence.
We are not able either to send you the documents in your file.
If you wish you could apply for the Italian citizenship again where you are residing now."

They didnt even bother telling me if the certificate was enough proof! Nor did they say they would now amend Mum's file.

Swore......a lot.

Ironically, I had asked on here whether it would be quicker doing the business in Italy rather than sending docs to London!

What now?
Sorry to hear the latest news don't let them get to you

Having had to deal with the consulates when I lived in England I know how they can drive you insane (Manchester was the pits Liverpool isn't any better)

You will now have to apply for citizenship from here you could try contacting them Cittadinanza Italiana - Come e quando Richiedere la Cittadinanza Italiana - SPORTELLO IMMIGRAZIONE or try one of your local CAF centres, or a lawyer
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Clint - fount of all knowledge
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's really worth the hassle, or even necessary?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ononno
Are you sure it's really worth the hassle, or even necessary?
It's worth it to me
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth it to me
Well at the end of the day that's all that matters and I hope everything works out okay for you in the end
Old Mar 31st 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nick1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth it to me
I am also looking to get an Italian passport, as I'm looking to eventually move there to live and work. Also it may become useful after the UK exits in a couple of years, if only to get through customs quicker!
I'm slightly more fortunate, in that both my parents are Italian & I have family out there.
I've been trying to get all the paperwork I need together before even making an appointment at the consulate in London. I have a copy of my birth certificate, my fathers birth certificate & just need to find my mothers now. On the plus side, I've found my old Italian passport from when I was 16! I'm not sure if that would be of any use as proof, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have it. Hopefully the process may be easier as you are out there. Although knowing how slow the Italian system is, chances are, it'll be at least the same as it is in the UK consulate!
But on the plus side, at least you're out there now. I've had to delay my departure due to all manner of bad luck. I'm now hoping to make it, at least for a holiday, by August. That is provided that the second operation on my ankles goes as planned.
I hope it all works out for you.
In bocca al lupo!
Nick.

Last edited by Nick1971; Mar 31st 2017 at 3:51 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

I dont think you would even need your mothers birth certificate, as you can get your citizenship through your father (as long as he never renounced his Italian citizenship?)
If you have an Italian passport (as a child) I presume you were registered, so I cant see that would have any problems. Good luck anyway!