Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship

Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dual citizenship

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thanks.

Originally Posted by philat98
Both have to be legalised in th UK by the FO and then translated into Italian.
For the translation I take it has to be done by a registered (with any specific org.?) professional translator, but does his/her citizenship matter? I have a (British) translator friend based in Italy but does not have Italian citizenship.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Translation doesnt have to be done a by an Italian citizen, but they need to be resident in Italy. They then go to the Justice of the Peace and swear the translation.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Both have to be legalised in th UK by the FO and then translated into Italian.

Does anyone know if as an Italian/UK dual citizen you can travel abroad with just an Italian Id card issued by the Comune? If so would it be restricted to travel within the EU?
EEA/EU only. You would need a passport to go further afield.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
EEA/EU only. You would need a passport to go further afield.
Thanks for that. An ID card is a lot easier and cheaper to get than a passport. I wonder if the UK will remain within the EEA? Hammond sounds like he is in favour of keeping trade agreements.

Last edited by philat98; Jun 18th 2017 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. An ID card is a lot easier and cheaper to get than a passport. I wonder if the UK will remain within the EEA? Hammond sounds like he is in favour of keeping trade agreements.
I think it unlikely as things stand but two years is a long time in politics, particularly at the moment.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt try to second guess anything this mad bunch of baboons are doing or planning to do.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by modicasa
Translation doesnt have to be done a by an Italian citizen, but they need to be resident in Italy. They then go to the Justice of the Peace and swear the translation.
thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Going through my documents I have found 2 forms of birth certificate:
One is an original, quite small, red border, about 6" square( maybe this is what is referred to on the GRO site as a 'short birth certificate'?); the other is a copy of a larger, A4-sized, certificate, with more details on it -father and mother's names.
Am I to assume the latter is necessary, from the GRO, then to be forwarded to the legalisation office?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Even in the UK the "short" (6", yes) is not accepted by many organisations there, I would always go with the "full" certificate.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

great, cheers, geordie.
And they then forward to the legalisation office, I understand?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

I think so - the legalisation office will certainly send the legalised version direct to Italy. I cant remember if I did that or took another route... My new birth certificate was sent for legalisation direct from the records office.
Could I ask you to elaborate: the legalisation office says that they must receive it by post with a "completed Legalisation Office Application Form and a suitable envelope for return of you documents".
How was the form completed if it was sent from the GRO directly, and the postage supplied for the return from the legalisation office?
Also when one gets to the delivery address page for the certificate on the GRO site it seems one would have to enter the Legalisation Office address maybe, as there is no option to automatically direct it there.
Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
Could I ask you to elaborate: the legalisation office says that they must receive it by post with a "completed Legalisation Office Application Form and a suitable envelope for return of you documents".
How was the form completed if it was sent from the GRO directly, and the postage supplied for the return from the legalisation office?
Also when one gets to the delivery address page for the certificate on the GRO site it seems one would have to enter the Legalisation Office address maybe, as there is no option to automatically direct it there.
Thanks.
I created an account on the FO website. After you have entered the list of documents required it gives you the option to print out a customized letter. I can't see why they need an envelope when they are charging 15pounds for postage. I asked for ACRO to send direct to the FO and they said it was not possible.

Last edited by philat98; Jun 23rd 2017 at 6:31 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:32 pm

Your 'short' birth certificate is practically useless - the 'full' birth certificate is the only one to present to any official body.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I did it all online, form and payment. The birth certificate was sent direct from the issuing office to Milton Keynes - and it arrived in Italy by courier. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

I created an account on the FO website. After you have entered the list of documents required it gives you the option to print out a customized letter. I can't see why they need an envelope when they are charging 15pounds for postage. I asked for ACRO to send direct to the FO and they said it was not possible.
cheers. fair point re. postage.
And when you say F(oreign)O(ffice) site, this would be the GRO, under the HM Passport Office?

I did it all online, form and payment. The birth certificate was sent direct from the issuing office to Milton Keynes - and it arrived in Italy by courier. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Thanks. Hope this works for me too.

So, could I recap, open to correction:
ACRO report can't be sent directly to legalisation office- would have to go there via intermediary address. (maybe a UK contact address or back to Italy before being sent back to legalisation office
GRO birth certificate can be directed to legalisation office, then on to Italy.

Also, I read somewhere the docs need to be translated and sworn within a certain period (maybe 6 mths?); is this correct?

thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.