Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving License in Italy

Driving License in Italy

Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:14 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in Italy

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Insofar as I understand it, you would have to be working in Italy. If you have an employment contract, that would do. If you are a self-employed contractor, again that employer would need to be in Italy.

In contrast, my wife is a contractor for an English company. To get residence was difficult but we ended up applying for a partita IVA (VAT number) via the Agenzia delle Entrate which was successful. When we took that paperwork to the Comune, getting residency was very straightforward.
You opened a PIVA to get residency! . Did you actually need it? If you didn't, surely health insurance would have been cheaper?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
But if your passport expires you wouldn't be able to get home on your CdI. .
Exactly - you'd have to leave the country before your passport expired...
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Fair point, maybe "you will be less surprised" is more accurate? It's the roundabouts which really get me, it's almost as if they think the French priorité � droit applies.
It did till 2000, so anyone who took their test before then still drives according to the old system.....
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dannygordon3004

So essentially i need to provide:

1) passport
2) codice fiscale
3) contract from work
4) letter from the family im staying with to show im staying with them

After submitting these documents, what would i receive, documents wise, which would allow me to remain for five years?

Thanks
Your work contract would have to be more than a seasonal one however. And it wont mean you can stay for five years - it just means you can stay until your circumstances change. After 5 years you can apply for permanent residence. The only documents you will get will be a carta d'indentita and a health card.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Exactly - you'd have to leave the country before your passport expired...
Or simple renew your passport from here.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Modicasa - that explains SO MUCH!

37000 - yes, I work self-employed full time so it was actually quite hard for me to get residency as I didn't have a contract of employment and I didn't want to fork out for private health insurance. Cost nothing to open the partita IVA, I was going to have to do it sooner or later anyway when I wanted to start issuing invoices.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannygordon3004

After submitting these documents, what would i receive, documents wise, which would allow me to remain for five years?

Thanks
There's some confusion here that needs clearing up.

You apply for residency with all the documents that the comune request, and once it is granted, you are a resident of that comune. It does not expire. You don't get a nice residency certificate or anything with a big fat expiry date on it. It is your job to change things if you move house, town, comune.

The five years thing is something slightly different. You can be a resident in the same place for 2 years, 10 years, 20 years, forever and not do anything else about it. The law however states that EU citizens can apply for permanent residency after they have been legally registered and lived as a resident for 5 years. It's not obligatory and who knows what, if anything will change with all the Brexit madness? The big plus side to asking for permanent residency is that it gets you into the Italian national health system.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 15th 2016 at 7:55 am.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

My CdI expires 18.12.22 (my birthday is 18.12).My passport expires 13.12.22.
Not much about all this makes any sense to me.
Maybe whoever filled the paperwork at the Comune couldn't see very well ?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pica
My CdI expires 18.12.22 (my birthday is 18.12).My passport expires 13.12.22.
Not much about all this makes any sense to me.
Maybe whoever filled the paperwork at the Comune couldn't see very well ?
CdI and driving licences now expire on our birthdays.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:48 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
CdI and driving licences now expire on our birthdays.
Yep, all just changed recently. My kids' ones now expire on their 18th birthday and mine on my birthday in 2026. I haven't even worked out how old I'll be then.