Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving licence confiscated by police

Driving licence confiscated by police

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving licence confiscated by police

I wrote on my blog about the fun and games I had changing my driving licence to an Italian one. Today I received an E mail from someone who had read my blog because she was looking for answers, not that my blog is particularly helpful or has any useful answers.

So here is the question.

The lady was stopped by the Italian Police, first they decided her licence was issued in UKraine, when they realised it was issued in the UK they confiscated it, because the driver has been resident in Italy for 2 years. To make matters even better, it would appear the police have now lost the licence. No shock there

So questions,
1) Has anyone had any experience with the police confiscating a UK licence.
2) Does anyone have a link to the length of time you can drive on a UK licence in Italy

3) Any useful suggestions, Duffer please keep them clean (ish)

I would be tempted to apply for a replacement UK licence and then exchange it. I know you need a UK address.

Thanks
PN
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence confiscated by police

Pecora, when I saw the title of your post I immediately thought -o, no, he waited for such a long time and now they have confiscated it?

Then I realized it was a question for someone else. I do not think I can help you a lot, apart from the fact that I used to know a Canadian lady who was driving here for several years on a Canadian licence.
When the Carabinieri stopped her and realized this, they impounded her car and confiscated her licence.
I remember her being stranded in Campo Felice with 2 young children, being taken in the local police station and she was very upset.
I do not rememenber though how it ended apart from paying 700 euro to get her car back, which she could not drive without a licence.

My only suggestion would be for this person to contact someone in the British Consulate for help.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I wrote on my blog about the fun and games I had changing my driving licence to an Italian one. Today I received an E mail from someone who had read my blog because she was looking for answers, not that my blog is particularly helpful or has any useful answers.

So here is the question.

The lady was stopped by the Italian Police, first they decided her licence was issued in UKraine, when they realised it was issued in the UK they confiscated it, because the driver has been resident in Italy for 2 years. To make matters even better, it would appear the police have now lost the licence. No shock there

So questions,
2) Does anyone have a link to the length of time you can drive on a UK licence in Italy

I would be tempted to apply for a replacement UK licence and then exchange it. I know you need a UK address.

Thanks
PN
Pecora,

My understanding is that you can drive on a UK licence until it runs out, after which you must transfer to an Italian one if you are resident here.

BTW - I carry a translation of my UK licence into Italian, which has an official looking stamp in case of this sort of thing albeit I have not yet needed it so can't comment on whether this will work - but best be prepared eh!

If you have a UK address go for the replacment, which I did on line when I replaced mine recently as I had lost the counterpart bit and needed it for a hire car in the UK.
:

As to a link, I offer this:

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-italy

In accordance with EU regulations on the recognition of licences, Italian licence regulations will apply to the driver’s EU/EEA licence regarding:

•the period of validity of the licence
•required medical checks
•minimum driver’s age
•penalties and restrictions, including suspension, withdrawal and cancellation of the licence

Validity periods of an Italian licence are as follows
•ten years for people under the age of 50
•five years for those between 50 and 70 years of age
•three years thereafter

As Italian licence regulations apply to anyone obtaining residence in Italy, for residents under 50 years of age who hold a driving licence from another EU/EEA country, their licence will expire 10 years after residency is obtained, regardless of the validity period of the EU/EEA licence they hold. For those between 50 and 70 years of age, their EU/EEA licence will expire 5 years after the first day residency is obtained. At this time, the foreign licence must be surrendered and exchanged for an Italian licence.

Exchange an EU/EEA licence for an Italian licence
To convert a foreign licence the holder should go to the nearest Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Ufficio Provinciale della Motorizzazione Civile) and be prepared to provide the following:

•application form TT 2112 (obtained at the Office of Motor Vehicles)
•the licence and at least one clear photocopy of front and back
•valid ID and at least one photocopy of the photo/details page
•residence permit and at least one photocopy of the front and back
•two recent passport photographs (white background, head uncovered)
•medical certificate issued within the previous six months certifying that the driver is physically and mentally fit
•receipt of payment of the fee (for the current fee amount, inquire at the Office of Motor Vehicles)
The original licence will be retained or stamped as exchanged. Expect the process to take up to four months after which an Italian licence will be issued.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera

So here is the question.

So questions,

Thanks
PN
2yrs for driving licences that do not have an expiry date. This is the Italian Ministry of Transport's link.
http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=cm&o=vd&id=308#5

Yeap, I'd be tempted to just apply for a replacement.

Isakat. Do not expect help from the consulate.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:54 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Also be aware that the DVLA are sharks.

My replacment licence, which they charged me a bundle for is only valid to the expiry date of the one I was replacing hence I will need to replace it again, and pay again, in a mere 12 months time - gits!!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:57 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Garbettellamike. You can't AFAIK, drive on a UK licence here until it runs out. The date of residency is what counts. That is under 50 you can drive for 10yrs, 5 yrs between 50 and 70 etc.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:01 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by 37100
Garbettellamike. You can't AFAIK, drive on a UK licence here until it runs out. The date of residency is what counts. That is under 50 you can drive for 10yrs, 5 yrs between 50 and 70 etc.
Yes I think you are spot on there 37100
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The law changed last year. A UK European licence - ie one with a photocard is valid in Italy until its expiry - as it now the case in all EU countries.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by modicasa
The law changed last year. A UK European licence - ie one with a photocard is valid in Italy until its expiry - as it now the case in all EU countries.
Not until it's UK expiry date, but from the date of residency, until it would expire if it was an Italian one.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Isakat
Pecora, when I saw the title of your post I immediately thought -o, no, he waited for such a long time and now they have confiscated it?

Then I realized it was a question for someone else. I do not think I can help you a lot, apart from the fact that I used to know a Canadian lady who was driving here for several years on a Canadian licence.
When the Carabinieri stopped her and realized this, they impounded her car and confiscated her licence.
I remember her being stranded in Campo Felice with 2 young children, being taken in the local police station and she was very upset.
I do not rememenber though how it ended apart from paying 700 euro to get her car back, which she could not drive without a licence.

My only suggestion would be for this person to contact someone in the British Consulate for help.
Hi Isakat,

Touch wood (he says as he touches his head) I still have my licence. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice, I have passed the advice on to the lady.

PN
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

OH had a query with the local vigili over UK driving licence initially they said you had to change it I think they mentioned points and 160€ fine, when I pointed out that this was not correct and showed them what was previously posted they had to agreed that one can drive on UK licence without converting till the expiry date of the photocard part of the licence
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by clint
OH had a query with the local vigili over UK driving licence initially they said you had to change it I think they mentioned points and 160€ fine, when I pointed out that this was not correct and showed them what was previously posted they had to agreed that one can drive on UK licence without converting till the expiry date of the photocard part of the licence
Again, no Clint. You have to respect the Italian expiry dates from the date of residency.
Ministero Trasporti: PATENTE COMUNITARIA O RILASCIATA DA STATO DELLO SPAZIO ECONOMICO EUROPEO
Per i titolari di una patente di guida rilasciata da uno Stato dell'Unione Europea o dello Spazio economico europeo è possibile guidare sul territorio italiano veicoli per i quali è valida la loro patente, senza obbligo di conversione dopo un anno dall'acquisizione della residenza in Italia.
Tuttavia se la patente non ha limiti di validità deve essere convertita dopo due anni dall'acquisizione della residenza ni Italia.
E' comunque consigliabile richiedere, in alternativa, la conversione oppure il riconoscimento di validità (ad esempio per facilitare le procedure di rinnovo o duplicato patente).
Le patenti per cui non si provvede a nessuna delle operazioni sopra riportate seguono comunque le normative italiane per quanto riguarda il rinnovo ed eventuali provvedimenti sanzionatori
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:33 pm
Concierge

Something we found out a few days ago. In the case of physical injuries in a car accident, the police now confiscate your licence until they recieve blood test results.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by 37100
Again, no Clint. You have to respect the Italian expiry dates from the date of residency.
Ministero Trasporti: PATENTE COMUNITARIA O RILASCIATA DA STATO DELLO SPAZIO ECONOMICO EUROPEO
Per i titolari di una patente di guida rilasciata da uno Stato dell'Unione Europea o dello Spazio economico europeo è possibile guidare sul territorio italiano veicoli per i quali è valida la loro patente, senza obbligo di conversione dopo un anno dall'acquisizione della residenza in Italia.
Tuttavia se la patente non ha limiti di validità deve essere convertita dopo due anni dall'acquisizione della residenza ni Italia.
E' comunque consigliabile richiedere, in alternativa, la conversione oppure il riconoscimento di validità (ad esempio per facilitare le procedure di rinnovo o duplicato patente).
Le patenti per cui non si provvede a nessuna delle operazioni sopra riportate seguono comunque le normative italiane per quanto riguarda il rinnovo ed eventuali provvedimenti sanzionatori

Sorry but I don't agree with your interpretation the paper part of a UK driving licence states vaild till 70th birthday however the photocard part of it is only valid for 10 years from the date of issue and has to be reniewed when it expires. The vigile agreed that it was the correct interpretation after having looked up their own reference manual and checked with another higher grade officer as at the time the photocard part of the licence was (still is) valid till 2015 after that we will have to change to an Italian one

He did however suggest that it would be better to do the riconoscimento di validità
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im afraid I dont agree with you Concierge. The new law from 2013 is applicable throughout Europe and licences are valid until their expiry. Upon their expiry you must renew in the country of your residence. You are quoting the previous law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.