Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Declaring presence in Italy

Declaring presence in Italy

Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring presence in Italy

Your residence will be valid for 1 year, then it will need to renewed probably
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

theitaliansboyfriend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by modicasa
Your residence will be valid for 1 year, then it will need to renewed probably
Can I apply for full 5 year residency? Or would I need to prove employment/self-employment for that?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to be a pest on here but does anyone have any experience of receiving a full 5 year residency certificate even if they just show a bank statement with the 6500 euros in?

I will sort all of the employment side of things out etc later this year but I'd need a 5 year certificate ideally because due to Brexit I wouldn't want to take the risk of not being able to renew a shorter residency or running into any problems.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps I misled you. You apply for residency full stop. not for one year nor for 5 years. You get permanent residency after 5 years (at the moment - post article 50 nobody knows). in practise you need to renew your health insurance and (in some communes) show your financial situation every year, so it is in essence renewed - even though you remain resident.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
perhaps I misled you. You apply for residency full stop. not for one year nor for 5 years. You get permanent residency after 5 years (at the moment - post article 50 nobody knows). in practise you need to renew your health insurance and (in some communes) show your financial situation every year, so it is in essence renewed - even though you remain resident.
Ahh I see. That doesn't sound too bad then.

I assumed that they would give you a certificate of residency for 5 years, and then if you stay for 5 years or more, you can then apply for permanent residency. Is that not right?

Usually I wouldn't fret so much about all of this but with Brexit approaching I need to be extra careful.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theitaliansboyfriend
Ahh I see. That doesn't sound too bad then.

I assumed that they would give you a certificate of residency for 5 years, and then if you stay for 5 years or more, you can then apply for permanent residency. Is that not right?

Usually I wouldn't fret so much about all of this but with Brexit approaching I need to be extra careful.
Jesus Bloody Christ. God help me for swearing but FFS. Why would you need to be extra careful and you're not even here yet? What about us (Brexits) that have homes and kids and land and property here?

Isn't it clear enough yet? You go and ask for residence. They ask you for papers including health insurance and proof of income. You get residency. That only means that you have an official register on the log books. Nobody gives you a nice, big certificate. Nobody gives you any kind of permit. Nobody asks you to a nice residency ceremony with the town mayor. Residency is a great big thing, and some town halls make it harder than others. but the end result is just a name and address in a log book.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

and the five year thing after five years is true (so far). You haven't even got to stage one yet.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Jesus Bloody Christ. God help me for swearing but FFS. Why would you need to be extra careful and you're not even here yet? What about us (Brexits) that have homes and kids and land and property here?

Isn't it clear enough yet? You go and ask for residence. They ask you for papers including health insurance and proof of income. You get residency. That only means that you have an official register on the log books. Nobody gives you a nice, big certificate. Nobody gives you any kind of permit. Nobody asks you to a nice residency ceremony with the town mayor. Residency is a great big thing, and some town halls make it harder than others. but the end result is just a name and address in a log book.
I need to be extra careful because of this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...w-eu-migrants/

If correct, and if reciprocated by other EU members, I have about two weeks.

And if I run into any issues, it means I'll have to leave the woman I really want to marry someday, so I apologise if I'm being a bit annoying with my questions.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by theitaliansboyfriend
I need to be extra careful because of this:

Theresa May poised to announce end of free movement for new EU migrants next month

If correct, and if reciprocated by other EU members, I have about two weeks.

And if I run into any issues, it means I'll have to leave the woman I really want to marry someday, so I apologise if I'm being a bit annoying with my questions.
Oh come on. Get moving and don't be a fool. That article is all about people moving INTO the UK and not out of it. That two weeks is not real.

You're not annoying. You're worried and unsure and upset ............. but too much in advance. Just get here and be like the rest of us and then we will all see what Brexshit brings.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:12 pm
Living the Dream

Efes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to all

Why extra careful? To be honest, so what? What exactly will it change for you? Just because you're not going to be an EU citizen at some vague point in the future, do you think Italy is going to kick you out? There are other nationalities that aren't EU citizens that live in Italy you know

Until all the negotiations have been completed anything may or may not be agreed. At worst, I imagine things will be the same as for non-EU citizens living here, which, from what I gather, is a little more paperwork, less free stuff, and longer timescales.

If TM does what the article seems to be implying, then you may have to jump through a few more hoops. And, I can promise you, you will run into some issues moving here, it's never completely hassle-free
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Come on give the young lad a break, perhaps we no longer remember this being young biz..
From what this UK Gov link says, you should get a certificate of sorts, we did. This EU link gives information what should (just now) after 5 years. However, as has been said, no one knows what will happen in 2 weeks hence and onwards.
I really should try to redeem myself a little now. Those already that have moved here, perhaps with children, settled in a new life I see as the brave and in many way these with the most to worry about. I think, and strongly hope, that all will turn out okay for them.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies folks.

To be honest the only thing I'm left unsure on is whether this 6000 euro in the bank (or whatever figure it is) means that I need that much for every year I want to stay otherwise they'll "note" me down for however many years I can support myself for the money I have.

The UK Gov link above indicates that the attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica can vary:

You will be issued with a certificate (attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica), which is valid for 5 years from the date of issue, or for your period of intended residency (if this is less than 5 years).
So if I can volunteer to have this set at 1, 2, 4 years or whatever, I presume they can also adjust that however they wish.

So the question is, for 5 years of secure residency, do I need 6500 euros in the bank, or 32,500 euros.

That's really the only thing I'm left concerned over as everything else is in order (I'll be buying my private health insurance tomorrow).
Old Feb 28th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Modi has said he knows of some comune that ask each year that you have an income of that amount, note it is income they are really interested in. However that is the 1st time I've ever heard of any comune checking up once you have residency. Granted this is only the people we know, covering a dozen or so different comune. You really should find out from your intended comune exactly what they want.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Idont know where in Italy you're planning to be, but with an italian girlfriend you 're going to have to relax a little. Like you, most Brits get worried about the paperwork. once you are here and have had a couple of run ins with bureaucracy you learn to be a little more relaxed about it all. In the south AlOT more relaxed.
Dont be worried about the UK situation. Article50 is not activated, and the UK remains a full EU member for at least another 2 years. Thats the law. For Italy to impose reciprocity will take a further 2 years - so you will be a permanent resident by the time it could possibly be a problem. More important for you is a job and your future - dont get in a flap about the red tape - its much more flexible in ITaly than what you're used to.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:47 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

You are over thinking things. What the UK Gov says about Italy is one thing, but what Italy actually does is another. Residency doesn't last 1,2, or 5 yrs etc. Residency is permant from day one. After 5 yrs, you just gain the right to stay permanently. The comune might or might issue with a residency certificate, but it doesn't matter because you can obtain one any time. All certificates last 5 years here, including birth and death certificates. It's just the way things are done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.