Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Crazy Italian drivers

Crazy Italian drivers

Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crazy Italian drivers

The "Slip road" if you can it that from Genova Airport towards Savona gives you an acceleration area of about 10m, Ok maybe for a Lambo ????
M
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Talking of indicators .....I have only just found out (from my son) 30 odd years after passing my test, that if you lightly tap the indicator stick, it will blink 3 times and then automatically turn itself off. Now that's a woman driver for you!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

What make of car do you have, My C4 doesn't do that.
M
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

its not so much a tap more only moving the indicator lever slightly so as to not engage the lock mechanism.

By the way i'm correct about the give way to the right rule. Lorna, if you give way to the left then i'll need to keep out of the Castelli on my sunday burn ups on the Bonneville.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
What make of car do you have, My C4 doesn't do that.
M
Just asked son and he says they all do it (but never say never) especially with the French. I've now got a VW UP after smashing up the Fiesta and they both did it.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris120
its not so much a tap more only moving the indicator lever slightly so as to not engage the lock mechanism.

By the way i'm correct about the give way to the right rule. Lorna, if you give way to the left then i'll need to keep out of the Castelli on my sunday burn ups on the Bonneville.
I don't get it. I really don't. I look left at roundabouts to give way. To be honet I look all ways just to try and fathom out where everyone is going, but the nearest is the left.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

JD1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I don't get it. I really don't. I look left at roundabouts to give way. To be honet I look all ways just to try and fathom out where everyone is going, but the nearest is the left.
It seems strange to me also. It means that you are happily driving around the roundabout and a car can pull out onto the roundabout in front of you, and you are at fault if you crash into him! I give up, i really do.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

mm

Yes I'd look left as well. Just as in London I'd look right.

On a bike you have certain possible advantages which maybe come into their own in Italy.

I'm a great fan of the studied wobbly - keeps folk on their toes makes you apparently more unpredictable.

And at junctions and on roundabouts if anyone so much as thinks of pulling out, look them in the eye AND wobble AND accelerate. AND sometimes I point with my arm in what maybe looks to the casual observer like a roman salute. AND sometimes shout.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Destra per sinistra rule applies if there are NO signs. If you enter a roundabout (or a junction) where there are no signs, the person coming from your right has the the right of way. If the person is coming from your left and there are NO signs, you have the right of way.

Right!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JD1963
It seems strange to me also. It means that you are happily driving around the roundabout and a car can pull out onto the roundabout in front of you, and you are at fault if you crash into him! I give up, i really do.
Precisely, this is the point i was trying to make, roundabouts don’t work in countries where you drive on the right UNLESS you have a give way to the LEFT rule (which, in Europe at least, they don’t generally).

Another thing that would be useful in Italy but impossible to implement, due to the culture, are the yellow cross hatched boxes that you see on junctions in the UK, try explaining those to an Italian.

In the 70s I lived in Torino with its controviale, which gives rise sometimes to 6*6 lane intersections, when the lights failed (a regular thing then) the junction would auto block thanks to the give way to the right rule. Sometimes this would result in a central knot of jammed up vehicles which the rest would then treat as a roundabout!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1963
The roundabouts I have seen in Italy, not many admittedly, had a dotted line across each entrance and a Give Way sign next to each entrance. I don't recall seeing roundabouts without such markings and signage, but I can image they'd be scary.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The roundabouts I have seen in Italy, not many admittedly, had a dotted line across each entrance and a Give Way sign next to each entrance. I don't recall seeing roundabouts without such markings and signage, but I can image they'd be scary.
There are many roundabouts in Italy without such markings (you may not have noticed them!) and, as i said earlier, they are mixed i.e. you can have a roundabout with some entry roads not signed (priority to the right therefore) and some signed as priority to the left. Until recently there was a roundabout under the Via Cristofero Colombo on the Via Laurentina that allowed traffic to go CW for 1/3 of the circumference (as well as ACW). Thankfully that little horror was eliminated a couple of years ago.

Having said that I often go back to UK with Italians and I love to scare them by taking them around the famous “magic” roundabout near LHR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R...l_Hempstead%29
Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris120
There are many roundabouts in Italy without such markings (you may not have noticed them!) and, as i said earlier, they are mixed i.e. you can have a roundabout with some entry roads not signed (priority to the right therefore) and some signed as priority to the left. Until recently there was a roundabout under the Via Cristofero Colombo on the Via Laurentina that allowed traffic to go CW for 1/3 of the circumference (as well as ACW). Thankfully that little horror was eliminated a couple of years ago.

Having said that I often go back to UK with Italians and I love to scare them by taking them around the famous “magic” roundabout near LHR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R...l_Hempstead%29
I know the other one, in Swindon. I worked there for a while.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,we live in calabria,the wild west of italy,our local driving school is called auto scoula "pit stop" perhaps that sums it all up,cheers brian.