Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Crazy Italian drivers

Crazy Italian drivers

Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: Crazy Italian drivers

Some interesting views in this thread on roundabouts in Italy which have been aired before. However, as far as I know, there is no special law or rule covering roundabouts in Italy so the “give way to the right” rule applies unless signposted otherwise. Most roundabouts are signposted otherwise - but not all. Some near me have a mixture with some inroads give way to right and others not. For roundabouts to work in Italy (as they do in the UK) Italy would need to change to a give way to the left rule or have a special rule for roundabouts along the lines of give way to vehicles already on the roundabout - but they don’t.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

and Italian car makers don't fit indicaters as standard . and I think they must be an expencive extra
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to persuade three separate Italians (2 in Italy, one in the UK) how to cycle round roundabouts but without success - maybe they know something I don't but I haven't come to grief yet. I indicate clearly of course.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The rules of driving have been summarised by a graffiti artist in our town "Famo come ce pare" that translates as "We do what we want".
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a driving instructor in Spain about lane discipline on and approaching roundabouts, She had no specific instructions except to use your indicators when you want to change lanes or "park" on the roundabout!!!!!!!
M
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

JD1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris120
Some interesting views in this thread on roundabouts in Italy which have been aired before. However, as far as I know, there is no special law or rule covering roundabouts in Italy so the “give way to the right” rule applies unless signposted otherwise. Most roundabouts are signposted otherwise - but not all. Some near me have a mixture with some inroads give way to right and others not. For roundabouts to work in Italy (as they do in the UK) Italy would need to change to a give way to the left rule or have a special rule for roundabouts along the lines of give way to vehicles already on the roundabout - but they don’t.
I've never seen any indication of the give way to the right rule here. Everybody seems to give way to the left. The only problem i've noticed on roundabouts is that most drivers don't position themselves correctly and of course don't indicate.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1963
I've never seen any indication of the give way to the right rule here. Everybody seems to give way to the left. The only problem i've noticed on roundabouts is that most drivers don't position themselves correctly and of course don't indicate.
I think Chris must have been wearing his English head when he said "give way to the right".

You do give way to the left in Italy.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Lane discipline is rather poor on roundabouts and I must add on motorways too.
M
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just say it ...... they're shite on roundabouts and just as shitty with no ******* indicators when they change motorway lanes. And they do like to zig zag.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tut tut!!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
with no ******* indicators when they change motorway lanes.
Yes indeed.

Why aren't there more appalling crashes because of this Lorna?

Already a fair few of course.

The main north south road in Sardinia is the island's motorway (though it isn't classified as one and no tolls) and I've seen some shocking driving on this. And I've broken some Brit motorway speed limits in my time but some of the drivers seem to be on warp factor. It's not too long ago that it had no central barriers at all.

Anyone got any theories as to why indicators are used so little? (apologies if this subject has been to death before - am newish here)

It's a major problem if you are on a bike.

sunnysider
(London side)
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I think Chris must have been wearing his English head when he said "give way to the right".

You do give way to the left in Italy.
May be I'm am not the best person to comment (driving skills!) but I think Chris' comment is right: you do have to give way to the vehicle coming from the right if there are no other signs. Perhaps some expert can clarify this point for us, as it's quite important.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
May be I'm am not the best person to comment (driving skills!) but I think Chris' comment is right: you do have to give way to the vehicle coming from the right if there are no other signs. Perhaps some expert can clarify this point for us, as it's quite important.
That is what I understand too, at least it is what I am told is supposed to happen here, not that it ever does.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yes there is that 'old' rule about having to give way to cars coming from the right, which is why many don't stop at roundabouts when they are entering .. plain ignorance of course.

I spoke to someone once (an ingenere or whatever) and he told me that they are trying to get rid of any ambiguous junctions like that, putting in 'give ways' or 'stops'. Still quite a few ambiguous ones in pretty important places though.

I've often wondered if the exit from Bologna's tangenziale to join the A13 to Padova is the only one in Italy on the left? Basically you have to be in the fast, overtaking lane if you want to get off the tangenziale and onto the sliproad.

Italian driving and roads: you know it makes sense. Not.

Oh and the reason why Italians don't use indicators is that it's too much of an effort and "I know where I'm going, why should I bother to tell you?" sort of attitude.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkRD

I've often wondered if the exit from Bologna's tangenziale to join the A13 to Padova is the only one in Italy on the left? Basically you have to be in the fast, overtaking lane if you want to get off the tangenziale and onto the sliproad.
No it's not - there's at least one exit off the SS131 (virtually a motorway) in Sardinia like that - you have to sit there stationary to do a 90 degree turn just praying that none of the guided missiles in that lane run straight into the back of you. They have fairly recently added a bit more paint on the road to make you feel protected. Strangely I think I feel safer in that spot on a bike than in a car.

A road best avoided in the dark but at least it now has central barriers. The new SS125 doesn't for lots of its length. I'd also avoid that at night (angel manning levels might be reduced)

Originally Posted by MarkRD

Oh and the reason why Italians don't use indicators is that it's too much of an effort and "I know where I'm going, why should I bother to tell you?" sort of attitude.
Ah I fear that's true mark and translates as "selfish gits" - no other word for it I'm afraid. Not all of them of course but way too many

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.