Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Rome

Cost of living in Rome

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

miranda75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Rome

My husband has been offered a job as an assistant professor at a university in Rome on a salary of 38,000 euros. We are a family of three, soon to be four.
I work in the media but I don't speak very good italian.

First of all, is this a good salary for Rome or will we struggle if we have to rely on one income? We're not planning on living in the city centre and would prefer to be out in the country, reasonable communiting distance away. We would rent at first, what are the rents like on, say, a three bedroom house/flat 30 km from the city for example?

Secondly, would it be easy to find work in a media organisation in Rome without being able to speak good italian?

Thirdly, what would be the schooling options for our 9 year old son?

A lot of questions, I know, but we didn't do enough research on our last expat posting which was in the Gulf.

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 1:20 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost of living in Rome

Check out www.wantedinrome.com you should find a lot of info here.

I lived near Milano so cannot comment specifically regarding Rome but i can give you a few observations.

38K Euro is a good salary in Italy.
Housing is very expensive in a city, renting or buying. www.tecnocasa.it
Commuting is a nightmare 30km from the city would be a difficult commute by car.
Speaking at least some Italian will help in the job market, lot's of Italians speak English well.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:59 am
GIG
Just Joined

GIG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Rome

I have lived in Rome most of my life, and still have family there. It is a beautiful city..............................but the Euro has made it even more expensive..shame there.

Houses, renting or buying are abominable prices, and if you live in the city the transport is not as good as in uk for example, so car to get around more easily is a must.

Schools for your nine year old, well yes there are various English schools in Rome and very highly priced.......

finding a job in media with not very good Italian, well I can';t help you on that one..............sorry!

I have noticed that eating out and shopping for clothes (if I compare to the UK) is not such a good deal anymore, the main difference being in UK we have the option of cheap shops, medium level ones, expensive and very expensive ones................in Rome you find cheap and very expensive, not too much choice in between................and as far as getting refunds on things you buy, careful cause there is a fiscal law that doesn't really permit money back.............voucher possible, but on that side customer service is not a patch on US or UK.

there are many beautiful aspects of Rome, the Italians can be so welcoming and friendly, but as a City it can be very beaurocratic and not as easy to do things are here in uk.

Hope all this made some sense,........................................I truly hope you enjoy and settle in well there.

GG