Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Italy How much a year?

Cost of Living Italy How much a year?

Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Apricot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cost of Living Italy How much a year?

Hi

This is my first post so am a real newbie!

Does anyone know how £s / euros a year, a person needs to live a simple lifesyle in rural Italy. Am considering moving there and getting away from the UK for ever, but as I am getting on in years, need to find out if I can outlive my savings!

Thanks
Apricot
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Nieuwe Nederlander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living Italy How much a year?

Originally Posted by Apricot
Hi

Does anyone know how £s / euros a year, a person needs to live a simple lifesyle in rural Italy. Am considering moving there and getting away from the UK for ever, but as I am getting on in years, need to find out if I can outlive my savings!

Thanks
Apricot
Depends where you go in Italy, my wife's family are from the Napoli area, the south is cheaper,but less developed, all in all prices are about a third of to half the price of the UK (as we all know the UK is extremely expensive!!) Around the Milan area or Rome prices are on par with the UK, avoid "touristy" areas.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nieuwe Nederlander
Depends where you go in Italy, my wife's family are from the Napoli area, the south is cheaper,but less developed, all in all prices are about a third of to half the price of the UK (as we all know the UK is extremely expensive!!) Around the Milan area or Rome prices are on par with the UK, avoid "touristy" areas.
New to the Italian forum.
Quick question. Assuming we do not have to take a mortgage, is it possible for a couple with a 13 year old daughter to live modestly in southern Italy (I assume this is the cheaper area to live) with an income of approximately £950 to £1000 per month? By modest we mean, eat out once a week, but no major extravagances, such as twice a week on the golf course and foreign holidays 3 times a year. Just general normal day to day living.

I know that there is no definitive answer to this question, but a bit of guidance would help
Old May 30th 2005, 9:46 am
Capo di nessuno capo

stefanaccio is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right to head to southern Italy where things will be cheaper. Some of my Italian relatives live on this amount of income and if you are satisfied with a simple life you can do it. After you pay for gasoline and insurance for your car, heating (up to 400 euros/month in the cold of winter), electricity (500 euro to connect and ?50 euro/month), water, ICI (?200 euro/year), TARI (refuse), a trip to the doctor from time to time, etc etc the key word remains "simple"...

Casale-Abruzzo Villa with No Bidet
Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

fcorazza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apricot
Hi

Thanks
Apricot
I live in Rome and for a "simple" lifestyle I spend about 300/400 euro/month. I own a motorcycle and yes, gasoline costs a lot!

I rent a room in the peripheral Rome area (outside GRA, about 1km far) and the room costs me 310/month + electricity and heat costs. Other 3 persons live together me, and each of them has their own room. Inside Rome a single room costs about 450/month + other costs.

I think in rural areas you can spend just the half of my costs, but you have to specify the exact location to receive better help.

Have a nice day
Fabio