Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Coolest places in Italy?

Coolest places in Italy?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coolest places in Italy?

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
Perhaps things have improved, K. I haven't been to Matera for good few years now. Like pete, I remember it being very difficult to find any English speaking guide for my guests. Also it all looked just a tad too neglected. Cool though.
Maybe it has improved a little since gaining UNESCO world heritage site status? I've never tried to find an English speaking guide of course but I would be surprised if there weren't any these days. A lot of the buildings are being converted into B&Bs etc (not really the English Heritage method of preservation, buy hey) so some look really new, while others do still have quite a run-down appearance. I would love to do a proper tour of the Sassi some time instead of just going for a drink after spending all day at some family member's house!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:48 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davehornet6
Hi Pete. I have 2 recommendations.

1: The Ducati museum in Bologna.

It is an Italian motorcyle museum, it was totally free and tours are available in English when booked online (no cost at all). It was that good i would have gladly paid for a tour. You can tour the factory also if you join a Ducati owners club.

2: Standing on the top of Vesuvius with that view over everything!!

where else on Earth can you stand on the rim of an active volcano and see countryside/mountains/a city and the sea.

I haven't really been to that many places in Italy yet but when your website is sorted i will have to check some of the cool places out.

ETNA
Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
ETNA
DOH!! Apparently, so i was told a few days ago, there is also a biggy in Tenarife.
And I spose Hawaii has its fair share.
Dont mind me, brain was in gear but clutch slipping!!

Last edited by davehornet6; Apr 16th 2011 at 11:53 pm. Reason: clutch has exploded
Old May 10th 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

crystalpalace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ambra_wandsworth
some more:

Reggia di Caserta

Prato della Valle -Padova

Campo dei Miracoli -Pisa

Piazza Ducale di Vigevano

Piazza Navona-Roma

Piazza di Spagna-Roma

Fontana di Trevi- Roma

Palazzina di caccia di Stupinigi -Turin

Certosa di Pavia

Piazza del Campo -Siena

Cinque terre, Camogli, Portofino – Liguria

Piazza del Popolo -Ascoli

Sorry, i've just got a bit excited because...

You're from VIGEVANO! my mum's from Vigevano (moved to London in her 20s) and I still have grandparents there, so many memories!

What do you think of the place???

We both seem to have a South London/Vigevano link by the way, incredible !
Old May 10th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by crystalpalace
Sorry, i've just got a bit excited because...

You're from VIGEVANO! my mum's from Vigevano (moved to London in her 20s) and I still have grandparents there, so many memories!

What do you think of the place???

We both seem to have a South London/Vigevano link by the way, incredible !

lol It's a small world, isn't it?! and it ended up we knew each other ... for a sec I thought of an english lady,that I know here in Vigevano,who married an italian chap in the seventies..but reading it properly you say your mum is italian, another story then

What do I think of this "village"?? mmh...lovely square and castle, italian small cities mentality, with all the typical "faults" most of english notice when they start living in Italy, like people "looking at each other bums" ( to say in my own words, if you know what I mean..) ; no wonder I spent most of the time at Uni and first job in Milan, then run away to London..

I hate living 24/7 here now, but I loved the idea that I belonged to an historical place with one the most beautiful and rare proper reinassance square in Italy when I was away.
As I said before, I'm londonsick now, and every couple of months I go there to see friends and honestly to take a breath as relatives are nice when they far away sometimes

What about you, I guess you're a brit expat living somewhere in Italy, now?
Did you spend your summer holiday here as a child?
Old May 11th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

lol It's a small world, isn't it?! and it ended up we knew each other ... for a sec I thought of an english lady,that I know here in Vigevano,who married an italian chap in the seventies..but reading it properly you say your mum is italian, another story then

What do I think of this "village"?? mmh...lovely square and castle, italian small cities mentality, with all the typical "faults" most of english notice when they start living in Italy, like people "looking at each other bums" ( to say in my own words, if you know what I mean..) ; no wonder I spent most of the time at Uni and first job in Milan, then run away to London..

I hate living 24/7 here now, but I loved the idea that I belonged to an historical place with one the most beautiful and rare proper reinassance square in Italy when I was away.
As I said before, I'm londonsick now, and every couple of months I go there to see friends and honestly to take a breath as relatives are nice when they far away sometimes

What about you, I guess you're a brit expat living somewhere in Italy, now?
Did you spend your summer holiday here as a child?
Yes yes, I've been living in Mestre since September teaching English

And yes I used to go to Vigevano every summer as a child, me and my sister used to get bored out of our minds there! I know exactly what you mean about the small town mentality though, it drives me absolutely insane! Also part of the reason why my mum had to scappare!

Why did you return to Vigevano? Are you planning on going back to London?
Old May 11th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Sure your mum is not like the average of Vigevanesi

I got back to Vigevano for a few reasons, partly and mostly because of my family business, my father had been "pleading" me to carry on with it for over a year, so it was a matter of time me staying in London..
Secondly thinking long term, turned a bit difficult last year, because credit crunch slowly affected my sector as well, so It wasn't that easy to jump from a job to another as I wanted to do at some point, I missed a couple of occasions before and It was too risky at that point,to stay so I had to decide to leave at a proper time and started here in September.
Finally I own my house here while over there, my landlord was planning the increase illogically the rent, looking at the market, which really put me down from considering to stay, I was settled down and that was just the final thing I didn't need.
Now I'm a bit struggling to find my "dimension" and I need to adjust my role in the business and doing my own things as well..
I feel a bit lost sometimes.. but I'm not really planning on going back, it's always tempting though..

How's Mestre? Are u having a break from London?

ps Sorry everyone for the OT

Last edited by ambra_wandsworth; May 11th 2011 at 8:47 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road

definitely rocca calascio and campo imperatore in abruzzo absolutely amazing scenery
Old May 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Sure your mum is not like the average of Vigevanesi

I got back to Vigevano for a few reasons, partly and mostly because of my family business, my father had been "pleading" me to carry on with it for over a year, so it was a matter of time me staying in London..
Secondly thinking long term, turned a bit difficult last year, because credit crunch slowly affected my sector as well, so It wasn't that easy to jump from a job to another as I wanted to do at some point, I missed a couple of occasions before and It was too risky at that point,to stay so I had to decide to leave at a proper time and started here in September.
Finally I own my house here while over there, my landlord was planning the increase illogically the rent, looking at the market, which really put me down from considering to stay, I was settled down and that was just the final thing I didn't need.
Now I'm a bit struggling to find my "dimension" and I need to adjust my role in the business and doing my own things as well..
I feel a bit lost sometimes.. but I'm not really planning on going back, it's always tempting though..

How's Mestre? Are u having a break from London?

ps Sorry everyone for the OT
Mestre isn't the most exciting of places, in fact it's something like a ghost town. I shan't be here in Mestre beyond July though, 9 months here will have been enough. I'll hopefully try and find work in another Italian city next year. Will probs have a break from London for the next couple of years at least.

I was actually in Vigevano at the weekend! Even though i've never been keen on Vigevano there definitely is something cute and peaceful about it !