Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

considering moving to italy

considering moving to italy

Old Apr 9th 2016, 8:53 am
Just Joined

rattywye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default considering moving to italy

hi everybody ,I'm paul and hopefully looking for advice about moving to Italy so 1st a bit about me ,, I'm 46 and sadly recently divorced and I am considering moving to Italy with a view of being there full time but wanted to hear if its possible ,,, I have wanted to move to Italy for a long time , I did spend a lot of time there at 1 stage and have been from Veneto in the north to isla capri in the south my Italian is basic {very} I will of course be arriving on my own and I am looking to rent a apartment for about 300 euros a month I'm not looking at a city but large town or semi rural and apartment wise nothing grand a 2 bed will do fine I do not drive ,hense being close to shops,bank, etc or good public transport is a must. at 46 I feel I'm not a party animal so will live pretty simple,internet is a must and obviously eating and paying bills now the important bit , I will have 1000 euros total per month to spend inc rent and I just wanted to hear anybody imput on this , is it possible? can it be possible? am I just nuts lol?...... thanks for any feedback,,sorry meant to say I will be arriving from the uk.

Last edited by rattywye; Apr 9th 2016 at 9:07 am. Reason: added text
Old Apr 9th 2016, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering moving to italy

Hello and welcome I am sure there will be plenty of advice forthcoming. We are in Umbria and most certainly in our area you would not have a problem find something for 300 e pcm. I suppose a lot depends on the area that suits the best here there are good rail links and you can get to Rome or Florence quickly. There are quite a few brits dotted about most are very helpful and willing to share experiances and thoughts on the amount you are talking about you should be fine . Dont live your life with what ifs go for it , as you are renting if it does not work out you have lost nowt! Just gained a new experiance , thats my take anyway. If you need to know anything you will find it on here just ask
Old Apr 9th 2016, 10:04 am
Just Joined

thank you for you reply mikethomo and glad to know I aint living in cloud cuckoo land I love the Umbrian region very much I stayed there for a while in a small village on the main rail line {san donato} and used to catch the train into Firenze about twice a week and my main shop was at the local village so I found it pretty easy to get stuff I needed and to travel so it may well be I intend to settle in that area,, its also good to know that there are a few expats in the area as ok it sounds viable on paper regarding finances the only other thing that worrys me is the paperwork ,I'm a uk citizen coming from the uk but I still need to set up residency and pay bills etc so I may need some help in doing that initially,,my time frame in coming to Italy is aug/sept.thanks once again....paul.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

The paperwork is not that much of a problem , but you will need to think about healthcare to get residency you will need some type of health policy , there are a few threads on here that deal with that . Initially you will be ok with the e111 or whatever its called now. First thing you will need to do is get a code fiscale again the easiest thing to do .
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:25 am
Just Joined

yep get to Firenze pop into the tax office fill out a form , that I will do first day I arrive,thank you.just applied for European health service card.

Last edited by rattywye; Apr 9th 2016 at 11:37 am.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Also refer to past threads about tax reporting.

Since you will be here full time, that means you will be tax liable and you must report your worldwide income. Since you mention your budget is 1000 euros a month I presume you have some source of earnings. So forget about any "personal allowance" you may benefit from in the UK (or other country) - you will have to pay tax on that income and any property you may own in other countries. I'm just saying because that might affect your yearly budget.

For example … if your yearly income is (12,000 euros) £9,600 -- in the UK you wouldn't be liable for any tax on that amount because you have a personal allowance. However in Italy you would be in the lowest tax band 0 - 15K euros on which you would pay 23% tax. So on 12,000 euros a year you would pay 2760 euros tax.

Just wanted to make sure you get into this with all the facts … don't let it put you off coming because Italy is an amazing country to live in … just don't want you be under informed.

Also, if you want to run a car you'll need to budget those costs. Insurance on a small car will be about 700 euros minimum pa. (you'll have to start again on the no claims bonus thing)
Old Apr 9th 2016, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

thank you donna my income is uk based and isn't taxable so I'm not worried n the tax issue as for driving well I don't so that is also not a problem I haven't got round to driving and Italy isn't the best place to learn ,,,my next problem is trying to find propertys to rent in the Umbrian region ,trying to get info whilst in the uk can be limiting and I wondered if theres a good place you guys get to hear of any rental propertys? as for the tax issue I should have said I'm on long term disability {due to losing right arm} some years ago and according to Italian tax law is exempt from taxes especially when there uk based.

Last edited by rattywye; Apr 9th 2016 at 1:49 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

the more I look at it the more its becoming a pipe dream,,yes you can take ya disability benefits to Italy, no you cant if your staying there,loads of places this side of the world that offer property places but when you click on them the site just disappears,got to get paperwork to stay in Italy but then your resident and aint entitled to much etc, have to be resident to get services etc,,,its just all running round in circles ,,if I could just go to Italy get a place to live and slide out the country once every 3 months that wouldent be bad but I guess that's a bit of a misconception also....oh well it was nice while it lasted........naw not really I'm like you guys that live over there already , you know its where you wanted to be so you went ,,,,so my plan is get a rucksack get to Italy and go from there with the prospect of staying 3 months {I already know I want to make Italy my permanent home if possible}so I,ll do the 3 months and see if I can extend it longer and live day by day. beware though I might start pestering you all from a cyber café in Firenze real soon.

Last edited by rattywye; Apr 9th 2016 at 5:13 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Italy is a fab place to live and I hope you enjoy it, to be honest I haven't ever heard the words 'good public transport' and 'Italy' used in the same sentence
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

thank you pecora , when I was in Italy before I used to love going on the train really quite cheap and reliable,brilliant way to get about.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

mrtati is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi rattywye, Having looked at your post we may be in similar positions, although you have more experience of travelling in Italy. I am looking for a rental property around Perugia which has a renowned University for foreign students. I have done a bit of research on rental agencies in the Umbrian region so if you want to keep in touch and exchange ideas that would be great. Paul.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

hi mrtati that would be great ,,,when you thinking of going? I do hope we keep in touch.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

mrtati is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul, Do you want to contact me on my skpe (on my profile)to exchange emails.. I hope to travel to Italy in May. Paul
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

I did send you message mrtati ,,it looks like I shall be Italy bound end of june very early july.