Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old May 16th 2015, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by 37100
True, you need to get friendly with a butcher. Our one in Turin will get you anything. OH'S uncle buys belly of pork Asti way to make his own copatta.

There used to be a place in Turin that anything pig including kidneys. Boy, the whole place stanch of urine!

Coming from Piemonte OH's love fritto misto piemontese. Breaded and fried, liver, heart, brains, frog legs, dried apricots, amaretto.
hi,sussed it,the problem is the wee smell,never noticed it before.i think they are more fussy down here maybe with certain things.frogs legs in italy,i didnt know that either.i had frogs legs in a french restaurant years ago,ok until i found out the french cut the legs off live and throw the poor sod back in the pond.when it rains here all the old girls come out with their carrier bags collecting snails.when we go for our daily walk we pick up the ones in the road and put them on grass to stop them being runover,sad i know.cheers,brian.
Old May 16th 2015, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I looked for veg suet for you and found zilch. I've seen plenty of kidneys though. What I'd like is a bit of belly pork and crackling, oxtail or other cheaper cuts of meat for very slow cooking with some fat left on it. I had a discussion with the butcher here about how everything is "lean" and "magro" and sometimes you need a bit of fat to keep the meat from drying out and to add to the flavour.
Todis "in-house" butcher sell belly pork by the slab. It's wonderful especially when you can get a piece with the skin on (sometimes they take it off) for crackling. The butcher could not understand why I wouldn't let him slice it up!
Most things I get from him he wants to chop up into small bits-why?
Old May 16th 2015, 10:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Todis "in-house" butcher sell belly pork by the slab. It's wonderful especially when you can get a piece with the skin on (sometimes they take it off) for crackling. The butcher could not understand why I wouldn't let him slice it up!
Most things I get from him he wants to chop up into small bits-why?
Could it be because they don't do big, roast joints like we do for big, Sunday dinners?
Old May 17th 2015, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Could it be because they don't do big, roast joints like we do for big, Sunday dinners?
Most probably you're right. Take chicken breast for example. They never cut it into chunky pieces for maybe curry or nuggets-it's always sliced dead thin breadcrumbed and fried-can't get the taste of chicken.
Old May 31st 2015, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,red cheddar slices in todis at moment 8 slices 150 gms for 1.50 something.looks like it is dutch from writing on front.cheers,brian.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

When I buy celery I end up throwing away the leaves and the small fennel leaves also get the same treatment. Can they be used for anything? Seems such a waste.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

I use fennel leaves a bit like herbs. I am sure you can use the celery leaves but I end up throwing those away too.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret M
I use fennel leaves a bit like herbs. I am sure you can use the celery leaves but I end up throwing those away too.
You certainly can! I've seen chopped celery leaves in a meat-loaf recipe.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

hi,fennel grows wild round here and the locals cut off the fronds for use in pasta etc.very tasty,our neighbour cooked us a lunch one day with it,cheers,brian.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi,for those who dont already know,british week in lidl tomorrow,mature cheddar and marmalade among other things,cheers,brian.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britaly00
When I buy celery I end up throwing away the leaves and the small fennel leaves also get the same treatment. Can they be used for anything? Seems such a waste.
Celery leaves as flavouring for your tomato sauces-throw them away before serving of course.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:18 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
hi,for those who dont already know,british week in lidl tomorrow,mature cheddar and marmalade among other things,cheers,brian.
Cheers I didn't know. They are selling cheddar slices in Tosano now, but the orangy one and in packs of 30 slices. I prefer the mature one however.
Do they have anything else different to previous times?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duffer
Cheers I didn't know. They are selling cheddar slices in Tosano now, but the orangy one and in packs of 30 slices. I prefer the mature one however.
Do they have anything else different to previous times?
hi,yes we bought 3 packs today, we have a few from uk in freezer already,its called hatherwood and it is made in ireland,tried a bit lunchtime,perfect,cheers,brian.ps get on lidl it. website,its all on there.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
hi,yes we bought 3 packs today, we have a few from uk in freezer already,its called hatherwood and it is made in ireland,tried a bit lunchtime,perfect,cheers,brian.ps get on lidl it. website,its all on there.
Bought some medium-matured pecorino from our local butcher/salumiere on offer at €9.50 a kilo. With this I'm not missing cheddar - a bit similar to a mature cheddar to tell the truth.
Sorry, that's sacrilege!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonwel
Bought some medium-matured pecorino from our local butcher/salumiere on offer at €9.50 a kilo. With this I'm not missing cheddar - a bit similar to a mature cheddar to tell the truth.
Sorry, that's sacrilege!
No, it's true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.