Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

! No idea, just wanted to share!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Is it just where I live or has Golden Syrup disappeared from the shelves of Italy? There used to be two supermarkets and a whole host of ethnic shops where I could get it. Is anyone else noticing a shortage?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been able to get it for about 2 years to be honest, BUT and this is the weird one, I can still get it in maple syrup flavour...... Tate & Lyle Golden syrup Maple flavour in a squeezy bottle. It's alright if you can find it. Esselunga has it here with the Nutella etc.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:46 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Our Esselunga stopped doing it a while back, but I found some in a place that stocks a few English things. It does seem to have fallen out of grace.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

Tis very strange! But, yes, I had noticed it! I think you can still get treacle too, but not syrup...!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I've not been able to get it for about 2 years to be honest, BUT and this is the weird one, I can still get it in maple syrup flavour...... Tate & Lyle Golden syrup Maple flavour in a squeezy bottle. It's alright if you can find it. Esselunga has it here with the Nutella etc.
Does maple syrup work in biscuit recipes, or does it make the dough too sticky?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:20 pm
The Original Red Head!

That's the thing, this isn't maple syrup - it's golden syrup that's maple flavoured! So it works just like golden syrup but with a slightly different flavour, that's all. So I don't know how real maple syrup would work. Sorry.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that I'll just have to experiment. I haven't seen the Maple Syrup flavoured Golden Syrup (MSFGS?) but we can get Maple Syrup and Pancake Syrup. Might try honey first though.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hmmm I'm not so sure... isn't maple a bit liquidy and won't it taste smoky too? What are you using it for?? I must admit that I always buy a couple of tins of golden syrup when we're home in the UK.... but not helpful... I did see some Agave nectar in a health food shop here and a lot of my 'green' friends use this in place of sugar... not exactly cheap but I wonder if this might be a more acceptable solution... not 100% though... I will ask around and come back to you...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I only want to make biscuits with the children (they will be "helping", they wont be an ingredient). I'll try honey first, I nearly always use it instead of syrup anyway.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I only want to make biscuits with the children (they will be "helping", they wont be an ingredient). I'll try honey first, I nearly always use it instead of syrup anyway.

Okay, I must admit for biccies that should be lovely... especially if it is xmas type biscuits... not sure for things like flapjack though...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flapjacks work with honey - you just have to cook them for a bit less than normal otherwise they go a bit hard.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Flapjacks work with honey - you just have to cook them for a bit less than normal otherwise they go a bit hard.
ooh that is good to know... thanks... oh isn't keen on the taste of honey though but hey ho more flapjack for me and the kids then.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I just spoke to the other English woman in the village. Her daughter, SIL and the kids are coming over from the UK with Easyjet for xmas, not much luggage allowance etc and she was lamenting the fact that her daughter couldn't manage mince pies or xmas pud as well as the other stuff they're bringing over. After having a laugh about a shop in Torino selling mince pies for €8.50 for 6, I suddenly remembered the two boxes of suet that my lovely Gran brought over in May. I've got one earmarked for a suet sponge sometime in the near future but I offered the other to my friend so she can make her own xmas pud now and give it a bit of time to mature for xmas. Well i think it made her week! Funny how it's the small things that make a big difference here isn't it??!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a really bad cold and feel really cruddy. Has anybody seen Lucozade out here? It's the only thing that will make me feel better, I feel too sick to eat, I need some energy! If it's in or near Florence that would be fab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.