Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by jonwel
I

PS Drinking wine socially (i.e. outside meal times) instead of beer is definitely not an Italian habit. When my Italian wife sees people drinking wine without food on British TV programmes, she says, "Non sanno bere il vino"!
Except for the aperitivo of course .... if it's not one of those ghastly spritz type drinks then a glass of (trendy) wine seems to be the fashion round here ..
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Except for the aperitivo of course .... if it's not one of those ghastly spritz type drinks then a glass of (trendy) wine seems to be the fashion round here ..
Yes, for the aperitif your right, but it has to be the right kind of wine. And then they do serve food at Happy Hour...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonwel
Yes, for the aperitif your right, but it has to be the right kind of wine. And then they do serve food at Happy Hour...
right! almost as a subsitute for dinner .. I'm not into these things but know someone who is!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough
Default make mine a 99

I was back home the week before last for the first time in a few years and had a couple of 99's, and since I came back I have had such a longing for one but havn't seen them in any gelateria's here. Any body know if they exist here ?.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engliano
Well tally ho we'd get on just great ! you drink all the coffee and i'll sup all the Gin !
I'm too old for you-Hell I'm too old for myself
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: make mine a 99

Originally Posted by Beep
I was back home the week before last for the first time in a few years and had a couple of 99's, and since I came back I have had such a longing for one but havn't seen them in any gelateria's here. Any body know if they exist here ?.
Don't know if you ever see those Carpigiani machines at bars in your neck of the woods. They make a 'soft' ice-cream similar to Mr Whippy type, but alas without the choc flakes to make it a '99'..
http://www.1001-petites-annonces.com...71910926-1.jpg

Algida did a similar 'soft' ice-cream a few years ago in different flavours, but I haven't seen those machines about much recently.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Mark

I found one of those Algida soft ice creams machines in my local Auchan and while it's not exactly the same it was close enough to get me over my longing for the real thing

Last edited by Beep; Jul 17th 2012 at 2:31 pm. Reason: messed up the quote thingy
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beep
Cheers Mark

I found one of those Algida soft ice creams machines in my local Auchan and while it's not exactly the same it was close enough to get me over my longing for the real thing
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I just rang my dad and said,

"Guess what I found today Dad for the first time in over 20 years?"

- I don't know girleen. Bacon?

"WD-40 !"

Sounds daft I know but when I saw it I knew I had to buy a can of it. All my life I heard my Granddad and my dad say 'get some WD-40 on it.'

I bet when OH discovers it, he'll want it down in the cellar where he keeps his expensive bike and the kids' cheaper ones. Well he can keep his hands off it.

A nice bit of bacon would have been better though.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh came from the UK last night and informed me that one of his bags had not arrived. They were to send it by courier the following day.
Well, it was the bag with bacon and cheese and smoked ham leg.
I wanted to cry.
This morning he drove to Fiumicino to collect it as soon as it landed; forget couriers. Checked all stuff and all was cold in the cool bag

I found WD40 sometime ago and use it on everything-creaking doors, window hinges.....
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Oh came from the UK last night and informed me that one of his bags had not arrived. They were to send it by courier the following day.
Well, it was the bag with bacon and cheese and smoked ham leg.
I wanted to cry.
This morning he drove to Fiumicino to collect it as soon as it landed; forget couriers. Checked all stuff and all was cold in the cool bag

I found WD40 sometime ago and use it on everything-creaking doors, window hinges.....
Glad you didn't lose your precious food.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I found WD-40 at a DIY store near us well about half hour away and the DIY store is called Leroy Merlin...
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter bought me a lovely pressie from Milan - a jar of Lemon curd - yum yum ! Had it on my toast this morning
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Dark chocolate 'may lower blood pressure' see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19241924

Just seen this good news and all the shops are shut
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I have enough tea bags t last 1 week and I am not due to go to the UK for another 3 weeks.

Do any of the supermarkets ship to Italy, I have looked at the British corner shop but they are very expensive. I have searched the forums but can't find the post I remember reading.

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.