Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old May 3rd 2012, 2:11 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by starfred
Hi, I never used Philadelphia/mascarpone with past and 99% of Italians would never do that.
I never have either but have you seen the new Philadelphia ads?
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:14 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Philly pasta was a staple for my kids growing up. And an Italian taught me how to make it! You can use Mascapone Twinkle. It's the same as using cream. I've also used gorgonzola and mascapone to stuff chicken breasts.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

starfred is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they are very imaginative

Do you really use cream with pasta?
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Philly pasta was a staple for my kids growing up. And an Italian taught me how to make it! You can use Mascapone Twinkle. It's the same as using cream. I've also used gorgonzola and mascapone to stuff chicken breasts.

I suppose that's just like using the baby pasta and mixing "formaggino" into it. Felt a bit funny the first time I mixed something resembling a cheese triangle into a bowl of baby pasta.

Yes they are very imaginative

Do you really use cream with pasta?
Course you can use cream with pasta. What about all the creamy mushroom sauces and carbonara etc.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

starfred is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah sorry, misunderstand.
When you say only "cream" I think about the cream cakes.
If you say to an Italian: "ho mangiato un bel piatto di pasta con la crema." He think that you eat past with sweet cream

Anyway carbonara is not a cream. Carbonara is a sauce.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:56 pm

Ah sorry, misunderstand.
When you say only "cream" I think about the cream cakes.
If you say to an Italian: "ho mangiato un bel piatto di pasta con la crema." He think that you eat past with sweet cream

Anyway carbonara is not a cream. Carbonara is a sauce.
panna not crema

Plenty of tortellini dishes served up with 'panna da cucina' and lots of risotto dishes are finished off with a dollop of cream too.

Carbonara is a creamy type of sauce as opposed to a tomato based sauce.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Thanks all. I'll have a try and let you know.... I will fry some mushrooms with maybe some onion, garlic and thyme, add a splosh of brandy, then a few blobs of marscapone and seasoning. Not sure whether the parmesan will go in it yet or just on the top. Should be a cheap meat free dinner using leftovers!
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
Thanks all. I'll have a try and let you know.... I will fry some mushrooms with maybe some onion, garlic and thyme, add a splosh of brandy, then a few blobs of marscapone and seasoning. Not sure whether the parmesan will go in it yet or just on the top. Should be a cheap meat free dinner using leftovers!
This sounds like the kind of thing my non-meat-eating OH would make, but he'd probably use a splosh of white wine instead of brandy - and parsley instead of thyme since I let the thyme plant die.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yep. Will do that again..... we ate every bit with no parmesan needed. It was Marsala not brandy cos I didn't have my glasses on when I went to the drinks cupboard!!! Thank you!
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

When I first met my OH, he introduced me to tortellini con panna e funghi
(tortellini with cream and mushrooms) I ate it and fell in love There are many pasta dishes made with 'panna'
Old May 4th 2012, 1:14 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Will do that again..... we ate every bit with no parmesan needed. It was Marsala not brandy cos I didn't have my glasses on when I went to the drinks cupboard!!! Thank you!
Hehe. So I'm not the only one who really needs her specs when cooking. Meant to say, you can freeze marscarpone.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,we were in calabria at easter crap weather not many restaurants open that time of year.always loved prawn or lobster linquine creamy.saw a whole range of panna in supermarket up road,not too sure what it was gave it a go with frozen seafood and spag ,brilliant never seen it anywhere else before.changing subject,saw 1kg tub of don horio baked beans complete with italian flag on front in 99p store in my town in essex says produce of italy on label,whats all that about,cheers brian.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

coco chanel is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if I can use marscapone in a savoury dish? I've got a tub in the fridge with some wrinkly mushrooms and am thinking of putting them together with some pasta and parmesan for dinner..... I've only ever used marscapone in sweet dishes before but never got round to making it into anything

Sorry, I have just read this and your mascarpone is probably out of date by now !!! However I would recommend making pasta (farfalle) with mascarpone and smoked salmon. Have you ever tried it ?? It is very tasty and very quick and easy to make. (There are no mushrooms in it though. You can use them for your second course !!!!!!!!!!)
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Eurospin today and got some sour cream. Mexican food tomorrow
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

One of my regular quick and easy dinners used to be smoked salmon and prawns stirred into creme fraiche and mixed through pasta.... have tried it with the panna here but it's a bit too rich and creamy (and probably unhealthy!!) for us to have often.

Eurospin is just opening a branch here so will look in there when it's open - sounds interesting as sour cream is something else we miss. Did try mixing lemon juice into panna but it wasn't the same..... Is Eurospin like Lidl's in that it has special weeks for different types of food? Or do they always sell the same range??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.