Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by 37100
My gran used to make this too and she also made delicious toffee. I'll have to ask my aunt if she knows the recipe.
ive made a really chewy sticky stuff to hold rice krispy cakes together.
cant remember the amounts but it was a big knob of butter, big dollop of syrup, little splash of vanilla essence(or whisky, in fact anything you like really) and about half a bag of sugar. boil it all up for 5 mins plus and let it cool. i only put it on rice krispys though so unsure on its own.
love to hear your grans/aunties recipe for proper toffee
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Our local ipercoop has just started stocking Mc Vities MILK Chocolate digestives Bit expensive - €2.20 for a small box - but who cares!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for McV's Suncrock too, they are Hobnobs (ever so slightly less crunchy - which is strange for here).
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish Tesco would get their arses into gear and open out here! They have branches in Thailand and Japan, surely Italy isn't asking much? At the moment I'm setting up a food exchange with a friend at home who's partly Italian, I think she's almost more excited than me! We're trying to agre on a weight for the parcel - I was thinking 10kg, is that a ridiculous amount though? Especially as I have to send the same back to her! I'm vegetarian and really miss Quorn stuff and veggie sausages. And crisps, the closer I move to home the more I seem to be missing everything. Does anyone else find it hard to get a "normal" kind of cheese for sandwiches? It seems to be all blue types or that plasticy leerdammer stuff. I found a shop that sells red cheddar but it's 25 euro/kg!
When I get my new passport a trip home with an empty suitcase is definitely in order. If I can persuade a friend to drive over I'll fill up a car!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:34 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same moan about tesco's in Auchan this morning. They gave us a Nectar card! It's taken them 20yrs to get Nectar cards so I'm won't be holding my breath for a Tesco. They did try to take over Esselunga, the one supermarket I like. BTW. Auchan sent their staff to the u.k to see how Nectar cards work!

I get my cheddar from the the Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company. It's not cheap, but very good. Mum's found a company Skipton way that also exports , but I haven't tried it yet.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:59 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

DaniL you might be better sending it in dribs both ways. That's going to cost well over €30 to send. My niece sent a ski jacket, hoody, and little but heavy bits to us for Christmas in two separate parcels from the UK. Sending them as one was going to set her back 34!!! She sent them in these self seal plastic bags, no good for food really, and saved a fortune. Depends how much you want this stuff I suppose!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:01 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Look out for McV's Suncrock too, they are Hobnobs (ever so slightly less crunchy - which is strange for here).
McVities have rebranded all the biscuits they sell here as Digestives....work that one out!! Still Hobnobs, shortcake etc. but they are now called digestives...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Today was my last lesson with a group I've had since last June. I decided to do 'afternoon tea ' with them and so I took a flask of tea and a box of milk choc digestives! They loved them Now they're all off to the Ipercoop to buy the biccies
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My little local co-op has started selling sushi.

I knew the big Iper co-op had started to sell it on Fridays and Saturdays but I couldn't be bothered to go all the way over there just for a tray of mixed sushi.

It comes with a little tube of wasabi and another of soya sauce and isn't bad at all. The kids loved it .......... without the wasabi !
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:47 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Auchan too - I picked some up with 50% discount as they were expiring in a day!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:29 pm
The Original Red Head!

Sushi more than a day old!! Guess they must have been using smoked salmon or all veggie then? Wouldn't get me buying raw fish sushi more than a day old I must admit!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:46 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Sushi more than a day old!! Guess they must have been using smoked salmon or all veggie then? Wouldn't get me buying raw fish sushi more than a day old I must admit!!
Have to say that yes - most of it was rice, salmon, tuna, prawn and seaweed wrapped little things.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:34 am
The Original Red Head!

I was meaning duffer and his salmonella sushi tbh...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:44 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a huge lump of red cheddar at Le Corte Venete today. Red, because the shop tried strong white in January and it didn't sell. That's because I didn't see it.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Bought a huge lump of red cheddar at Le Corte Venete today. Red, because the shop tried strong white in January and it didn't sell. That's because I didn't see it.
oooooh. Can I dare to ask how much??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.