Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:10 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Cool, she made it to the post office then?! I remember now, duh! Lucky you, enjoy!!

One of the restaurants in Pila called bar Yeti does donkey stew - never had it though!! I love polenta!! I make it a lot, but I really, really didn't like it in Aosta - I cannot stand smoked cheese!! Yurgh! Shame because the polenta itself was nice, bit sloppier than here, plus it tends to get fried up into squares here, very good!

On the subject of Vicenza - I noticed the cheapie Panettone I bought from Pennymarket for €2-something was made in Vicenza, well in the province anyway!! It's very soft and tasty which is why I buy cheap ones 'cos they go really quickly!! Plus I've tried some allegedly handmade by nuns etc. and they are dry and horrid!!
Mum can't make it too the p.o. with a 25kilo box, she's working on it though. Mind you, her knee scar split because she pushed it along the hall with her leg. Mailboxes picks it up. Among other things there was a huge box of biscuits, 2 of maltessers, tin of quality street, tin of Roses, loads of choc xmas tree decorations, 5 advent calenders plus all your usual tea, coffemate etc and shredded wheat for me. I'm a happy person.

Pannetone are dirt cheap in the supermarkets here because loads are made locally and you can go to their factory shops. We are not that fond of them.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:12 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Why didn't you say? Me and Duffer could have met you. I bet he's not frightened of a bit of donkey.
Would have loved to. We were at friends though. We had a good old moan about adult kids not leaving home.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:02 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't you say? Me and Duffer could have met you. I bet he's not frightened of a bit of donkey.
Shirley, you're joking? I ain't eating no donkey, no horse and no cat! What is wrong with you people! I take it you were talking about something to eat, yes and not a kinky sex game similar to spit-roasting...
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by duffer
Shirley, you're joking? I ain't eating no donkey, no horse and no cat! What is wrong with you people! I take it you were talking about something to eat, yes and not a kinky sex game similar to spit-roasting...
Draw the line at eating cats and I can't bring myself to eat quails. I don't like horse meat, it's too sweet, but donkey just as long as it's tender.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Mum can't make it too the p.o. with a 25kilo box, she's working on it though. Mind you, her knee scar split because she pushed it along the hall with her leg. Mailboxes picks it up. Among other things there was a huge box of biscuits, 2 of maltessers, tin of quality street, tin of Roses, loads of choc xmas tree decorations, 5 advent calenders plus all your usual tea, coffemate etc and shredded wheat for me. I'm a happy person.

Pannetone are dirt cheap in the supermarkets here because loads are made locally and you can go to their factory shops. We are not that fond of them.
Mmmmmm malteasers....... only just over 3 weeks to go before I am back in the land of mincepies and malteasers....

I don't mind pannetone, prefer pandoro tbh....

By the way how to these Vino Sfuso places work? One has just opened down the road... do I need my own bottles and is it acceptable to try before you buy? I got annoyed after spending €5 on a bottle of Barbera that even I couldn't drink.....
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by indiebird
Mmmmmm malteasers....... only just over 3 weeks to go before I am back in the land of mincepies and malteasers....

I don't mind pannetone, prefer pandoro tbh....

By the way how to these Vino Sfuso places work? One has just opened down the road... do I need my own bottles and is it acceptable to try before you buy? I got annoyed after spending €5 on a bottle of Barbera that even I couldn't drink.....

There where mince pies as well.

You can take your own bottles or even one of the plastic cannisters. You buy as much as you want or need. Where is it, in case we want to check it out. We use them a lot here. When Auchan have offers they do some good buys for Barbera or so hubby say's.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

There where mince pies as well.

You can take your own bottles or even one of the plastic cannisters. You buy as much as you want or need. Where is it, in case we want to check it out. We use them a lot here. When Auchan have offers they do some good buys for Barbera or so hubby say's.
It is in San Maurizio just along the road from the station so a bit tucked away but I thought I might check it out.... don't actually have any bottles though.... maybe I might nip in there one morning and have a chat and see how it all works...
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
If it was a kinky sex game, you'd have been there in a shot !!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

5 advent calendars ????

Sounds like a great box of goodies though. Good ol' mum !
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
It is in San Maurizio just along the road from the station so a bit tucked away but I thought I might check it out.... don't actually have any bottles though.... maybe I might nip in there one morning and have a chat and see how it all works...
Take a little plastic glass with you and ask for a small taster.
Make sure they know that if you find a wine you like, you'll be a regular customer
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:20 pm
Concierge

5 advent calendars ????

Sounds like a great box of goodies though. Good ol' mum !
Yeep, 5. She probably forgot because she does the packs over the course of a couple of weeks.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:27 pm

Yeep, 5. She probably forgot because she does the packs over the course of a couple of weeks.
Well if your sons and OH aren't interested you can have 5 little chocolates every morning starting from Tuesday.

Mum did send ones with chocolates in didn't she and not just little pictures behind each window?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Well if your sons and OH aren't interested you can have 5 little chocolates every morning starting from Tuesday.

Mum did send ones with chocolates in didn't she and not just little pictures behind each window?
3 with, 2 without. She also sent books, films and magazines.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:49 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Most vino sfuso here supply the bottle for about €1.50 and they have tasting glasses. Don't do what I did though and get a box. They fill it from the tap but it isn't air tight like the ones from the UK supermarkets - goes off after about a week! So I'm back to bottles, but my grocers across the road belongs to an azienda and their wine is really good for €4.50 so I've started buying that instead!

I don't like pandoro - keep thinking I could make a trifle with one....Love panettone though! Great toasted or with custard - very bread and butter pudding-ey!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:51 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

3 with, 2 without. She also sent books, films and magazines.
What films has she sent you?? I got Star Trek, Angels and Demons, Ice Age 3 and Monsters v. Aliens while I was there! The first one isn't out yet or wasn't when we left and the others were just expensive here! I bought about 6 mags, two for the kids and 4 for me! I put Good Housekeeping back, decided it wasn't quite what I wanted!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.