Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Old May 30th 2010, 7:46 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Originally Posted by indiebird
ohh I've not seen Tea with Mussolini... I have a few fave 'English' films that I go back to again and again. One is, and will always be 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' it's like comfort food to me that film... but I guess it is very much a girl film... I also adore 'Hot Fuzz' which I know is silly but it just tickles me and is English to the core. I also have 'Finding Neverland' which was Johnny Depp playing JM Barrie. I know that he was not a Scot like Barrie but I do think he played a good part and again it is very English. I spent a lot of my Yoof sitting up late and watching British films and screenplays on BBC 2 and the brilliant Film Four films too. I don't mind Americany stuff but I still often go back to English films.... '24Hour Party People' is something else I like but mainly for the Music as it was the Music I grew up with... there was a time in the 1990's where you couldn't move for spotty blokes in Parkers with a Manc Accent in the pubs and clubs of Brighton...
I keep meaning to watch 24hour Party People, if only because I've met one of the people that is portrayed in the film in real life, Hooky - he married an aquaintance of mine - and the Hacienda really was a brilliant, amazing club!!
Old May 30th 2010, 7:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angeli
Loved 'Hot Fuzz' and have watched at least 3 times....
One of the best I watch every year is ' Death at a Funeral'..with Jayne Asher and others...good english comedy....Have Avatar still sealed in plastic...have you watched......think I need to concentrate so will need rainy day....oh no, I didn't say that....really !!!
Loved Avatar! Really! Seen it about 3 times now.... Not much of a story but the effects are amazing when you realise that about 90% of the film doesn't exist!!!

Got my son Assassin's Creed II - he wanted it for Xmas but I waited and got from Hmv.co.uk for €20 instead of €70....Anyway all set in Florence in the renaissance and when you land on an important building you can click an option to read the history of that place!! Makes a change from the usual beat em up!!
Old May 30th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I keep meaning to watch 24hour Party People, if only because I've met one of the people that is portrayed in the film in real life, Hooky - he married an aquaintance of mine - and the Hacienda really was a brilliant, amazing club!!
was it a 'Royale' aquaintance

I would have loved to have gone to the Hacienda but you know me, 'North' seemed like a long way away for a Brightonian like me.... although I did apply and was going to go to Manchester Met. before I failed the second lot of A levels...

Not seen Avatar yet... don't know why we kept meaning to go to the pics then we were offered an illegal copy and still we haven't seen it!
Old May 30th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Same guy who did Hot Fuzz was also in another funny british film - Shaun of the Dead.

could you imagine trying to translate The Royle Family into italian
Old May 30th 2010, 8:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by indiebird
was it a 'Royale' aquaintance

I would have loved to have gone to the Hacienda but you know me, 'North' seemed like a long way away for a Brightonian like me.... although I did apply and was going to go to Manchester Met. before I failed the second lot of A levels...

Not seen Avatar yet... don't know why we kept meaning to go to the pics then we were offered an illegal copy and still we haven't seen it!
Yes it was. She hung with our group as was a year or two younger...so not a friend but a regular when we went out as a big gang, her brother was same age as my OH and a "friend" of his (his mum babysat him and thought they should like each other based on that, the fact he was a complete and total w****r being beside the point...) Johnny Marr was in the same group....and Ian Brown, but he was mates with OH's best mates younger brother...
Old May 31st 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Yes it was. She hung with our group as was a year or two younger...so not a friend but a regular when we went out as a big gang, her brother was same age as my OH and a "friend" of his (his mum babysat him and thought they should like each other based on that, the fact he was a complete and total w****r being beside the point...) Johnny Marr was in the same group....and Ian Brown, but he was mates with OH's best mates younger brother...
OMG!! Sounds like a small (but rather talented) world you lived in TR!! Ian Brown...
Old May 31st 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Testarossa, you spent your youth hanging round with some of my fave musical heroes! Blimey!
Old May 31st 2010, 7:16 am
The Original Red Head!

Stone Roses? We went to their first ever proper gig at the hac, of course.. - I thought it was shite..

Didn't know all this at the time though - hooky came after Royale family, marr was just a kid that hung with us older ones trying to impress, didn't really figure except my OH and mates tolerated him as he was always the butt of jokes - someone sold him grass as "grass" and he tried to smoke it..always wore shades tho..

All went to different schools all lived in same bit of Manc. Only link.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

I never saw the Roses live, but their first album is a masterpiece. I love The Smiths and think Marr was one of best guitarists ever. And Hooky was in not one but TWO of the greatest bands ever. There have been 3 films about Joy Division, but I liked 24 Hour Party People most as it's the only one with humour.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
I never saw the Roses live, but their first album is a masterpiece. I love The Smiths and think Marr was one of best guitarists ever. And Hooky was in not one but TWO of the greatest bands ever. There have been 3 films about Joy Division, but I liked 24 Hour Party People most as it's the only one with humour.
I love all of the above PLUS I adored the Happy Mondays music too. I agree totally with Tony Wilson that Shaun Ryder was a total poet... just a shame that he chose to piss it all up the wall but there you go -that be the price of genius and soul as they say....
Old May 31st 2010, 3:29 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I love New Order and thru them I discovered Joy Divison, Electronic, The Smiths and Monaco. I love all that stuff!
Old May 31st 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

I've never heard of Monaco.
Old May 31st 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me either... maybe worth checking out if in a similar vein....
Old May 31st 2010, 10:00 pm
The Original Red Head!

I liked New Order, that was it...seriously...

Tbh I was a big Oasis fan, still think there old stuff was great - we lived around the corner from their mum, and by default them, for 12 years while we were married...They went to the senior school up the road from our house, but I never actually knew them...Must be something in the Manchester water I think! Btw - no-one in Manchester speaks like the Gallaghers. Royale Family, unfortunately, is far more like it. We never watched it - already lived it once didn't need to sit through it all again!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:21 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you know them. And you've heard their biggest and only hit countless times before no doubt. They were Peter Hook's side project. Their hit What do you Want from Me is one of my favourite tracks and is very New Order in style with the distinctive bass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.