Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:31 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Lol! What makes life interesting! In the "revival" I was a mod not a rocker, my 18th birthday present from my OH (then boyfriend!) was tickets to see The Who at Deeside Leisure...For me, best concert ever!!!!

Like stuff my son likes now, like The Hoosiers, Coldplay, Rhianna but he likes the stuff we like or liked, so it's a nice exchange of generations!! I have eclectic tastes as you can tell..
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
D.S.O.T.M. best album ever made. Floyd best band who ever existed. (Floyd took their name from two old bluesmen: Pink ANDERSON and Floyd COUNCIL). Generally though my tastes are much nearer Indie's, I think. Can't stand The Who for example. Or any of that 60's rubbish (cept Velvet Underground and Iggy and Bowie). For me, rock pretty much started with The Sex Pistols and ended with The Stone Roses.
oh now hold on... I see myself as more of a Mod... we do have DSOM but we only brought it recently when OH discovered The Floyd. I love their music and I literally get lost in it. Love the Who but, like the Stones, prefer the earlier stuff. I went through my 'Beatles phase' at about Alex's age. I still love a lot of their music but I did sicken of it a bit. H is named after the late, great, George Harrison. Rubber Soul is my fave album. I love the Kinks too and things like The Small Faces, but yes also Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop etc. There was a long time in the 1990's when I wanted to marry Damon Albarn and I still think they had real longevity. Also love Gorillaz.... oh and Black Grape's first album. I also, in true Brightonian homage, like Fat Boy Slims stuff and the Housemartins... there's definately a method in my madness.... and sorry but for me you can tell much of the Music has a definate English flavour to it....
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Me too, English all the way. I watched the Live Aid dvd recently and thought that the worst of the English lot (Sade, Brian Ferry etc) was miles better than the best of of the Yank lot. Can't stand Kinks, Who, Rolling Stones or Beatles though. With you 100% on Black Grape's first though. Shake Your Moneymaker!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Ps. Did you see on the news, The Small Faces are reforming? With Mick bleeding Hucknell on vocals! Enough said.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:43 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Who's nearly, but not quite, a Manc too.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Me too, English all the way. I watched the Live Aid dvd recently and thought that the worst of the English lot (Sade, Brian Ferry etc) was miles better than the best of of the Yank lot. Can't stand Kinks, Who, Rolling Stones or Beatles though. With you 100% on Black Grape's first though. Shake Your Moneymaker!
I have to say that I grew up in a house where music was important to us. My Dad is a huge Stones fan and a Who fan and I think it rubbed off a bit. He also went through a phase of being addicted to Mike OIdfield and Jean Michelle Jarre.... not my kinda thing at all.... but he had such passion for it... my Mum also loved her music but was a bit more.... sappy, I think would be the right word. She gave me plenty to rebel against! Simply Red, Dr Hook, Hot Chocolate.... need I go on??!! My Grandparents always had radio two on in their house and my Granddad had a rather expensive record player (in fact he still has it!) I adored his Johnny Cash records and wasn't adverse to a bit of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin or Lonnie Donegan! but that is about the limit to my American likings... oh and The White Stripes and a bit of REM before they got up themselves (known as the Coldplay effect in this house!) oh and maybe a bit of Aretha......
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ps. Did you see on the news, The Small Faces are reforming? With Mick bleeding Hucknell on vocals! Enough said.
well that puts paid to that being a good idea then! I thought Mick was a Manc... ??
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum was definitely sappy. She listened to Jimmy Saville's Golden Oldies every Sunday.
I can still remember all the words to Tammy Wynette songs and Petula Clark.

Grandparents had their radio permanently tuned to Radio Dublin.

Older male cousin was mad about Queen.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:13 am
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by indiebird
well that puts paid to that being a good idea then! I thought Mick was a Manc... ??
Born in Denton, which is virtually the Peak District and brought up in Stockport, nah, not Manchester, sorry... Greater Manchester, but not a real Manc!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

It seems all Italian adolescent males are into Queen. Must be the opera thing. I forgot about Johnny Cash. He's great. I can't stand Bob Dylan's music (or more to the point, his voice) but I saw Martin Scorcese's film No Direction Home the other day and loved it. Dylan's autobiography is a great read too.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:28 am
The Original Red Head!

No ALL adolescent males, up to a certain age, are into Queen! Seems to be an early teen thing, as my son is pretty much out of them now.

Walk the Line was a good film. Has Joaquim Phoenix taken up rap as he threatened to?!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Did you see him talk about that on Letterman? (if not, check it out on youtube). Amazingly weird!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:01 am
The Original Red Head!

Yes I saw it, and the beard and him falling off stage....
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
No ALL adolescent males, up to a certain age, are into Queen! Seems to be an early teen thing, as my son is pretty much out of them now.

Walk the Line was a good film. Has Joaquim Phoenix taken up rap as he threatened to?!
Loved Walk the Line and my pre-adolescent son loves Queen... and the Harry Potter soundtracks.... he is majorly weird!

I love the idea of Bob Dylans songs just not his voice too. I feel a bit like that about Simon and Garfunkell as well! Love Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith too... I've got a friend here who sings like Patti Smith. She is tiny and Italian but she obviously has soul. Her boyfriend told me he learnt English so he could understand Iron Maiden's lyrics and then when he did, he realised they were shite!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
The Original Red Head!

Patti Smith! She only had one good song! I get the impression she's pretty much in residence here in Florence at the moment! She had a photography/art exhibition and then did a poetry reading all over the last few months.

Only Dylan I ever bought was Slow Train Coming when he went Christian, total garbage! Like S&G, but then I like The Graduate.

Alex was the same, including HP, he will develop better taste, don't worry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.