Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Changes for the better

Changes for the better

Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:16 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes for the better

Originally Posted by surly
Glad to hear it's not an obsession. but your observations based on US servicemen and tourists is hardly representative.
Perhaps if you were a little less narrow focused you might find the average American isn't much different to yourself.

Personally I prefer to judge the individual rather than their nationality.
cannot type now without spell check but will anser to moroowwo
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Confucius say,
"The gentleman/lady calls attention to the good points in others; he/she does not call attention to their defects. The small man/woman does just the reverse of this."
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

juliansdaughter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have definitely noticed fewer hole-in-the-ground loos than there used to be and for those of us without the coordination to squat and hold our noses at the same time this is a Very Good Thing. I also noticed last time I was around Garda that there are more public loos but none of them are new - it's as if they just decided to reopen something mysteriously closed since 1953!

Maggie
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it's not an obsession. but your observations based on US servicemen and tourists is hardly representative.
Perhaps if you were a little less narrow focused you might find the average American isn't much different to yourself.

After only a few mild comments on Americanisms or soldiers I hardly think this classes as an obsession.

I know these are not representative of a whole nation so I find it bewildering that you say I am somewhat narrow focused. Are you not guilty of the same thing then ........ judging me based only on a couple of comments ???
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Location: Berkshire UK + apartment in the town of Scalea, in Calabria, Southern Italy
ENGJMAX is an unknown quantity at this point

hi folks

We have noticed a couple of changes for the better in the last four years

The A3 Autostrada south of Salerno has ongoing major road improvements with some new tunnels & bridges,involving some mega engineering work, I have been impressed with the speed these works. they will make the trip south a lot easier.

Also in Scalea there is a bit of a refurbishment drive going on, some of the 1970`s blocks, including ours, are being painted, and there are some of the buildings in the Historic Centro Storico being refurbished as well.

But still no public loo`s ! :curse:

best wishes to all

John
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Oh perlease! Get lost and pick a fight somewhere else, surly!
and Lorna, dont rise to the bait, rise above!!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
well I'm coming back to the UK next week and hoping that a heat wave hits England . lol
I'm there now. Its pissing down.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I'm there now. Its pissing down.
just great - I knew it.

Still - it won't be raining inside the shops and the pubs !
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

just great - I knew it.

Hi Lorna

Fancy a drink in the Maple Leaf forum, you know that Inn that we all drink in?

I am a bit tired, or maybe i have had a few too many

NovaGirl
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

just great - I knew it.

Just been to the pub followed by and Indian, bliss. Thinking of tomorrow morning has reminded me of something fantastic about Italy. Roller shutters. Tomorrow, without fail the baby will wake up at five o'clock because of the daylight. The others following soon after. Whilst they are all bribable (dummy for baby, threats to older ones) it still means broken sleep for me.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

I found that, last week in the UK, I couldn't sleep for the bright street lights coming through the curtains and we don't even have roller shutters, just the ordinary green ones here in Italy.

But having people hold doors open, say please and thank you and smile was WONDERFUL
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Alan1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Changes for the better

I have only been here for 2 years but can certainly see the improvements. Not necessarily in services, but in lifestyle.

Things are so much more relaxing here in Abruzzo. to be quite honest, where we are is like my part of England used to be years ago when I was a kid.

I think that we are all lucky to be here and to have been accepted as we have (or as I have at least) The food quality is outstanding, the people are so welcoming, the air is clean and I have never waited more than 20 mins for my doctor which makes a nice change from the UK.

Changes for the better?

Definitely