Cars in Italy

Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough
Default Cars in Italy

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. We're moving out in a few weeks and don't know whether to bring our right hand drive care or buy a left hand drive before we leave the UK. Does anyone know how long it take to a RHD registered and a LHD with U.K. plates to be reregistered.
Many thanks 😊
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in Italy

you must reregister a foreign car within 6 months/1 year, but you will need to be resident first. If you can get a lhd do so, its much safer.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fliss59
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. We're moving out in a few weeks and don't know whether to bring our right hand drive care or buy a left hand drive before we leave the UK. Does anyone know how long it take to a RHD registered and a LHD with U.K. plates to be reregistered.
Many thanks 😊
I would advise buying a LHD in UK bef0re you leave. You'll get a better deal on price, and it will be easier to replate in Italy. You will have to change over rear lighting to swtch sides for reverse light and rear fog lamps, and you will have to change dipping side for front lights. You will also need the homologation details of said vehicle, and its EU technical cert.
I replated an LHD motorhome a few years ago, took about 5 months, a lot of paperwork and runnng around, and about 1200 eurines.
To replate a RHD vehicle, whilst not impossible very stressful.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:33 am
Living the Dream

Efes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to all

Changing over to Italian plates for most RHD cars is an absolute minefield to try and get your head around The process itself is relatively simple if a tad long-winded. There is a simple calculation for the cost based on euros per horse-power. However, you will also need to have the correct headlights and dashboard. The headlights are easy enough to replace - no, the sick-ons will not do), it's the dash is where most people come unstuck. From what I understand, you need to have the odometer in KM, which isn't as simple as it first appears for the majority of cars.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the advice. We will definitely buy a lhd before we leave the UK