Car insurance

Old May 8th 2017, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough
Question Car insurance

Hi, hope someone can help. We are moving to our house in Italy next week and I am stressed out re car insurance. We have bought a LHD with UK plates and will reregister when we get there. My query is about getting insurance until it's reregistered as we won't have a UK address. Has anyone else gone through this?
Old May 8th 2017, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by fliss59
Hi, hope someone can help. We are moving to our house in Italy next week and I am stressed out re car insurance. We have bought a LHD with UK plates and will reregister when we get there. My query is about getting insurance until it's reregistered as we won't have a UK address. Has anyone else gone through this?
This may or may not help, but many years ago when I used to do the inverse (buy RHD cars in Scandinavia destined for final import to the UK, which sometimes meant 3 different registration numbers - once even 4) I used to insure the vehicles with British companies on the basis of the chassis number - and they weren't in the least fazed by a non-UK address.

Also, another point, if you insure with Direct Line they have a subsiduary company here, so again may be a bit more open-minded than most.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not insure it in the UK before you leave just to tide you over? Might be best to have a word with a broker there or a company directly. Have you got a no claims from a UK company? If you intend getting insurance here you will need to traverse their equivalent. We eventually got some great help from our local ACI in sorting what turned out to be cheaper insurance than the Direct Line IT quote we had.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by Serrano
This may or may not help, but many years ago when I used to do the inverse (buy RHD cars in Scandinavia destined for final import to the UK, which sometimes meant 3 different registration numbers - once even 4) I used to insure the vehicles with British companies on the basis of the chassis number - and they weren't in the least fazed by a non-UK address.

Also, another point, if you insure with Direct Line they have a subsiduary company here, so again may be a bit more open-minded than most.
Thanks. I gave it insured with British company who say it will vet invalid with no UK address. Will look at Direct Line and looking at Stuart Collins as well
Old May 8th 2017, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Can you not insure it in the UK before you leave just to tide you over? Might be best to have a word with a broker there or a company directly. Have you got a no claims from a UK company? If you intend getting insurance here you will need to traverse their equivalent. We eventually got some great help from our local ACI in sorting what turned out to be cheaper insurance than the Direct Line IT quote we had.
Many thanks. I have it insured over here but company say they can't insure it with no uk address. Looking at Stuart Collins and Unity - in Rome. May just have to go with current and sort out when we get there as we have 4 days until we go and still outs to be packed!!
Old May 9th 2017, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sure you cannot it insure it in Italy until it is an Italian car.