Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Brexit & Italian passports

Brexit & Italian passports

Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of
Default Brexit & Italian passports

Just curious if anyone on here has considered or decided to take on Italian citizenship to help quell any of the concerns about their status when the UK eventually leaves the EU.

As it stands, I'll have been resident in Italy for 18 months when Article 50 is called, so I'll quite possibly fall just short of the 4-year residency requirement for EU citizens when the UK leaves. Non-EU citizens are apparently required to have 10 years' residence!

Obviously we don't know what are rights will or won't be in 2 years from now but given as we are apparently "negotiating capital", it seems prudent to explore all opportunities.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit & Italian passports

Hi , one of my plans for 2017 is to take out italian citizenship although I hate the idea . I've been here over 20 years and am married so I just need to deal with the forms . I am also converting my new uk photo driving license and getting both daughters UK passports . It'll probably cost a small fortune and not be necessary but definately prudent
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Yes, UK passports cost a small fortune and am I right that ones for children are only valid for 5 years?

Would you have to do a daft "history of Britain" exam and pledge of allegiance like in the UK?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Just curious if anyone on here has considered or decided to take on Italian citizenship to help quell any of the concerns about their status when the UK eventually leaves the EU.
Yes, me. I'm not sure how much hassle it'll involve. It may even turn out to be impossible for some surprise reason, though people say I have the right. One worry is that as well as taking an oath I'll be required to sing the Italian national anthem.

Last edited by Sancho; Jan 18th 2017 at 8:30 am.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Would you be in the Abruzzo by any chance Sancho?

At least the Italian anthem is a decent tune! And I'm sure there'll always be another piece of paper required.

Would be interested to hear progress on people's experiences as they go through the process.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Think there is a lot of interest in the UK of going down the Irish passport route, something we are looking at via the grandparent(s).
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Yes, definitely. We decided the day after the referendum, and it's on my list of things to do (real soon now, as they say). Should be no problems as we've already got 12 years on the clock

Originally Posted by Sancho
Yes, me. I'm not sure how much hassle it'll involve. It may even turn out to be impossible for some surprise reason, though people say I have the right. One worry is that as well as taking an oath I'll be required to sing the Italian national anthem.
By coincidence I was talking to our Sindaco just last Sunday, and mentioned this - he said categorically that it was not necessary. Of course, it is also possible that he's heard me singing (an unforgettable experience if there ever was) and was taking the coward's approach
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Think there is a lot of interest in the UK of going down the Irish passport route, something we are looking at via the grandparent(s).
I've already got the application form here for an Irish passport and my dad's long form birth certificate. I sent an email months ago to the Irish Embassy and they posted the form and instructions and stuff to me.
It's my own fault that I haven't filled it out yet, got the photos and gone off to the police station for counter signatures on everything.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not an option for me at present, although if Scotland gets independence that might be.

I'd imagine the Irish passport office is pretty busy at present so you probably wouldn't have got it yet anyway Lorna!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Ellie_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just going through the process of applying for Italian citizenship now I've met the residency requirement.. I'd recommend anyone planning to apply to arm themselves with plenty of patience!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be keeping my british passport.
I cannot foresee any circumstance where it would be a problem. An arrangement will be reached between the EU and UK regarding current residents.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not sure what to do. I have been here now for 14 years and have a piece of paper that gives me permanent residency. However, my British passport is a little different from most as we in the Channel Islands were not in the EU anyway. Any thoughts on this anybody?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellie_
I'm just going through the process of applying for Italian citizenship now I've met the residency requirement.. I'd recommend anyone planning to apply to arm themselves with plenty of patience!
I am doing it too. It might well pay off in the future and not much lost if it is not needed.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I'm really not sure what to do. I have been here now for 14 years and have a piece of paper that gives me permanent residency. However, my British passport is a little different from most as we in the Channel Islands were not in the EU anyway. Any thoughts on this anybody?
If you're a Channel Islander with no links to the UK then Brexit won't affect you as you have no EEA freedom of movement rights anyway.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

whats the problem with the residency requirement? i thought the form was easy as far as italians forms go. As Italy practises the law of reciprocity, for 200 euros its worth every penny to apply for citizenship. Once GB is ex EU it will be permessi di soggiorno oer tutti at 150 euros a year, plus fingerprints and visits to the questura. Its a no brainer,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.