"Brexit"

Old Feb 24th 2016, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default "Brexit"

Now might be a good time to ask what thoughts people have on the possible exit of the UK from the EU. Will they vote to leave or to stay in ? Either way, what'll happen then ? What consequences might there be for Brit residents in Italy ? Any precautions one could take ? Will M & S still deliver ? etc
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Brexit"

I don't know what might happen to me in Italy, but yesterday I requested a passport application form from the Irish Embassy. For the sake of 80 Euro it won't do any harm to have another passport.  
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not worried - Brits were living here long before the EU ever existed.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I am a bit worried because as EU citizens we are usually on a par with Italian citizens, and I don't like the idea of becoming an extra-comunitario.

The whole Conservative Party campaign is based on the immigrant question, but they don't think about the rights of British citizens living in the EU, it's never even crossed their minds.

Anyway I hear this morning that many with big economic interests (including M&S Sancho!) are pushing to stay in so ...
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Bankers want us out. My solution would be the Icelandic one. Lock up all those bankers and throw the keys away.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The problem will be that Italy applies the law of reciprocity. So if the Uk say Italians cant have this or that, then it will be applied to Uk citizens in Italy.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that, as with many other parts of the world, British state pensions for Italian residents would be frozen. Not a very pleasant prospect for the poorer expats particularly if inflation reappears!

Last edited by philat98; Feb 24th 2016 at 10:24 am.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know who is entitled to vote in the referendum. British citizens resident in the UK only or British citizens who live abroad.
It will be very interesting if we can vote too.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Isakat
I would like to know who is entitled to vote in the referendum. British citizens resident in the UK only or British citizens who live abroad.
It will be very interesting if we can vote too.
Probably the same rules as for General Elections..you lose your right to vote if you've been out of the UK for 15 years. You basically have the same (non) rights as prisoners and illegal immigrants.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

thats about it MarkRD - this will be the last thing Im allowed to vote in...
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by modicasa
thats about it MarkRD - this will be the last thing Im allowed to vote in...
From BBC website:

Who will be able to vote?
British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals who have lived overseas for less than 15 years. Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I've just applied to https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote,
also to be able to vote by proxy (British citizen living overseas), this option is on the same site.
But I have only been out of the UK for 5 years.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so I qualify then with 13 years being an expat?
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Ok, so I qualify then with 13 years being an expat?
I would imagine so, you can only try!
I applied online, printed off the proxy vote application form. Now just waiting for forms to be posted out to me which obviously need to be returned by post. You need to get it sorted sooner than later, if you want to vote.

Last edited by Pica; Feb 24th 2016 at 3:18 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

The UK press are a bit fixated on the pound dollar exchange rate probably because over the past couple of years the dollar has seen significant strength. ie a weak pound and strong dollar makes for bigger headline changes. Over the past three months, however, the pound has lost 7.5% of its value compared to the euro. Financial markets are currently pricing in a roughly 33% chance of an Out victory so in this event it would not be unrealistic to see the pound down by a further 15% to around 1.10. This is crudely where the likes of HSBC and JP Morgan's Brexit prediction rates are coming from. Personally, I think the analysis is quite reasonable so unless you are currently selling your home or moving back to the UK, it's difficult to see how most Brits will gain financially (at least for quite some time) from the Out vote winning.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Feb 24th 2016 at 4:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.