Reload this Page >

Bolzano - Merano

Bolzano - Merano

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:32 am
Just Joined

beatusvir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bolzano - Merano

Hi all,
I'm planning a move to this area. Wondering if anyone already there could provide some advice.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bolzano - Merano

How good is your German?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Sehr gut, danke. That's one of the reasons my wife and I are planning to move there, we both speak German, I also speak Italian but my wife doesn't. Also, we love the area.
Do you live there?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

No but I know it well. It's a magical part of Italy. As both of you speak German - your integration will go a lot more smoothly.

Have you looked at real estate? It can be pricey, even by northern Italian standards.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:22 am
Just Joined

We were planning to rent at the start. Will that be a problem?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Renting to start is of course a great idea and I doubt it will be a problem. Once you and your wife get employed - follow the advice of your colleagues on buying.

You may find (may find, not for sure will find) that rentals can be quite small for what you pay, but so what. It's a great part of the world.

Congratulations on the upcoming move.

One other note - some consider Bolzano town to be somewhat industrial and less scenic than other towns around there, though it routinely tops quality-of-live surveys in Italy. You may want to consider outlying areas from Bolzano town and commuting in.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Renting to start is of course a great idea and I doubt it will be a problem. Once you and your wife get employed - follow the advice of your colleagues on buying.

You may find (may find, not for sure will find) that rentals can be quite small for what you pay, but so what. It's a great part of the world.

Congratulations on the upcoming move.

One other note - some consider Bolzano town to be somewhat industrial and less scenic than other towns around there, though it routinely tops quality-of-live surveys in Italy. You may want to consider outlying areas from Bolzano town and commuting in.
I returned to Bolzano last year after 40 years of absence. It was no longer the town I remembered. As the previous poster said "very industrial", dirty, Romanian beggars at every church door, lots of African migrants, overrun by tourists. I also noticed that Italian was more widely used than German. Merano or Bressanone left a better impression.
Property is very expensive.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I live just down the road in Trento and am regularly up in the Sued Tirol. Did you have any specific questions/issues in mind?
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:58 pm
sar
Just Joined

sar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We are American "English" speaking expats currently living in Italy. Due to unfortunate circumstances, we have to move from our present location and after much research are thinking of moving to Merano. We don't speak Italian, but my husband speaks very good German and I am at the kindergarten-level of learning Italian.

We'd like to know if Merano has English speaking residents. My husband is an American Master Point bridge player and wants to know if there is a bridge/skat club or players.

Would appreciate a reply. Thank you.

Cheers,
Sar
Old Jun 26th 2019, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Meran(o) is, like Bozen/Bolzano, probably slightly majority Italian speaking but German is an official language and as soon as you head up the side valleys you find people for whom Italian is very much a foreign language.

I know people who live in Merano but can't give you any info on card clubs I'm afraid. It's a wonderful town though and if you like the active life, I cannot image a better city to live in. So many paths, from the ancient Waalwegs, to the Höhenweg, to the challenging Alpine routes & ferratas. Plus some beautifully maintained long distance cycle paths headnig towards Bolzano, up the Val Venosta and the Val Passiria. Merano can get incredibly hot in summer (about 35-36*C in summer) and snow at city level is pretty rare in winter. I only visit the place as a base for hikes/runs/rides so can't comment too much on life there other than to say that it might come across as being a bit too bourgeois for some tastes but I find cities are generally what you make of them.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Meg7622 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sar
Hello,

We are American "English" speaking expats currently living in Italy. Due to unfortunate circumstances, we have to move from our present location and after much research are thinking of moving to Merano. We don't speak Italian, but my husband speaks very good German and I am at the kindergarten-level of learning Italian.

We'd like to know if Merano has English speaking residents. My husband is an American Master Point bridge player and wants to know if there is a bridge/skat club or players.

Would appreciate a reply. Thank you.

Cheers,
Sar
Hello,
I am from New York and have lived in Merano for about a year now. Have you decided to move here? There are definitely many people who speak English. Although I speak fair Italian, I’ve been lucky with my doctors, my accountant, landlord, etc. who all speak English fluently. Please let me know if you would like to meet for a coffee or if you have any other questions. I do not know about Bridge clubs, sorry.

Cheers!
Megan
Old Oct 20th 2019, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Maje is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meg7622

Hello,
I am from New York and have lived in Merano for about a year now. Have you decided to move here? There are definitely many people who speak English. Although I speak fair Italian, I’ve been lucky with my doctors, my accountant, landlord, etc. who all speak English fluently. Please let me know if you would like to meet for a coffee or if you have any other questions. I do not know about Bridge clubs, sorry.

Cheers!
Megan
Hi Megan,

We're Americans stationed in Stuttgart, Germany and are thinking about moving to Merano when my husband retires in about 3 years. We'll be down there over Veteran's Day if you'd like to get together.

Maje Brennan
Old Oct 20th 2019, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I returned to Bolzano last year after 40 years of absence. It was no longer the town I remembered. As the previous poster said "very industrial", dirty, Romanian beggars at every church door, lots of African migrants, overrun by tourists. I also noticed that Italian was more widely used than German. Merano or Bressanone left a better impression.
Property is very expensive.
We were just there an did not find it dirty at all. I also didn't see any Romanian beggars, nor did it seem industrial. We live in Germany, so dirt stands out to me.

Maje
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maje
We were just there an did not find it dirty at all. I also didn't see any Romanian beggars, nor did it seem industrial. We live in Germany, so dirt stands out to me.

Maje
All depends where you went? A town is not just the core of tourist center. "Dirty" is relative. For me it was so. What has Germany got to do with Bolzano?
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

We were all over. We have parts of Stuttgart that are industrial as well. But that's part of being in a city. Germany has a reputation of being very clean.

Maje

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.