British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Boiling bacon or gammon joint (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/boiling-bacon-gammon-joint-904588/)

Caprihana Oct 15th 2017 10:29 am

Boiling bacon or gammon joint

I have a real craving for some lovely thick slices of boiling bacon/gammon. I know you can ask for thick cuts of cooked ham in the supermarket, but I'd like to boil my own. Does anyone know what this might be called in Italy and if I might be able to get hold of any?

BRIAN 1 Oct 15th 2017 12:43 pm

Re: Boiling bacon or gammon joint

Originally Posted by Caprihana (Post 12361323)
I have a real craving for some lovely thick slices of boiling bacon/gammon. I know you can ask for thick cuts of cooked ham in the supermarket, but I'd like to boil my own. Does anyone know what this might be called in Italy and if I might be able to get hold of any?

Hi,we don't know of a similar product here.We bring back uncooked gammon back from the UK in the suitcase.We boil it up here and freeze.Being cured and wrapped there is no problem with going off.At least we're still alive to prove it,cheers,Brian.

giuliana Oct 16th 2017 11:22 am

Try Richmonds, they deliver gammon here in Italy. https://www.richmonds.it/

milanoclaire Nov 6th 2017 7:52 pm

Ikea do a frozen ham for roasting.

Caprihana Nov 7th 2017 6:33 am

Sorry for the delay in responding, thanks everyone for the replies!

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 7th 2017 7:55 am

I usually buy mine back in the UK too, get it vacuum packed and then shove it into the freezer here to bring out for a treat later.
This post and this autumnal weather has made me want to eat thick slices of it too.
My Irish Granny nearly always had a ham joint and I loved it warm served like a roast and cold in sandwiches too.
I prefer ham to turkey at Christmas though I eat both.

BRIAN 1 Nov 7th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12376536)
I usually buy mine back in the UK too, get it vacuum packed and then shove it into the freezer here to bring out for a treat later.
This post and this autumnal weather has made me want to eat thick slices of it too.
My Irish Granny nearly always had a ham joint and I loved it warm served like a roast and cold in sandwiches too.
I prefer ham to turkey at Christmas though I eat both.

Hi,we've just brought one over on friday packed in hand luggage.My other half cooks it up with peas pudding,mushy peas and mashed spuds and freezes the rest,cheers,Brian.

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 7th 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1 (Post 12376833)
Hi,we've just brought one over on friday packed in hand luggage.My other half cooks it up with peas pudding,mushy peas and mashed spuds and freezes the rest,cheers,Brian.

I HATE YOU.

Geordieborn Nov 7th 2017 9:37 pm

Oh Brian has become a lovely sprout!

BRIAN 1 Nov 8th 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12376883)
I HATE YOU.

Don't worry this will make you less envious.We had BRUSSELS with our chicken and leak pie last night,lol.

Plan B Nov 8th 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks Giuliana for highlighting Richmonds; very convenient.

Geordieborn Nov 8th 2017 4:55 pm

I'n not noticed the link for Richmonds, might be a good alternative to British Corner Shop here. I have to admit that the only thing we have found we still have to have is Marmite! So we succumed to using the BCS this year for a one off purchase of x10 500g jars (yes we eat a lot) and it worked out quite reasonable and the service (used UPS) was very good.

philat98 Nov 8th 2017 5:25 pm

Amazon UK has a good selection of food now with good prices and low cost shipping.

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 8th 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1 (Post 12377630)
Don't worry this will make you less envious.We had BRUSSELS with our chicken and leak pie last night,lol.

I would have taken the pie. You can all keep your sprouts. Nasty little round things.
Wouldn't mind some honey and mustard roast parsnips though. Anybody got those?

BRIAN 1 Nov 9th 2017 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12378044)
I would have taken the pie. You can all keep your sprouts. Nasty little round things.
Wouldn't mind some honey and mustard roast parsnips though. Anybody got those?

Hi,I hate to say this but we've got those in the freezer also,lol.