Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

best phone-wifi packages

best phone-wifi packages

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough
Default best phone-wifi packages

Hi All, I'm looking for any up to date tips on the best packages for phone and broadband as FINALLY OH and I have our own place to move to 1st July!!!

I was astounded to discover that he and the smelly flatmate are paying over €70 every 2 mths for their internet... who pays that???? I know some thigns are just more expensive over here but that seems extortionate!

What we need is a decent speed broadband (essential for all my Slingbox viewing ) and a basic phone line, if free landline calls are included (seems standard these days), great, if some international calls are included, even better.

I had a quick look at Fastweb and saw a decentish offer - 22.40 per month (but only for the first 3 months, then double the price) but it still seems dear to me. Also, a bit worried about cancelling and penalty fees for not cancelling in the absolutely right moment etc.

So far, I'm keen to go with the Fastweb option but would appreciate any comments from people if they'd recommend/avoid any other companies too.

Thanks a million,

Bxx
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: best phone-wifi packages

Hi Ballerina,

I'm not techie but we are very pleased with Teledue, I bought my own Linksys Wireless Modem and we pay about 40 euros every two months for telephone and internet. I use Skype alot so very affordable.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

ooh thanks for that I'll look into it! I use Skype a lot too but no matter how much I've nagged family etc over the years, they can never get to grips with it enough to use it so they end up wasting hundreds on their phone bills calling my mobile!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with good old telecomm and am happy with the service tbh! I have their 20mg package which includes wi-fi and Alice tv ( or did) for about 25 a month inc. IVA. I do still pay the canone though, but there is an Alice package without a phone line where you make all the calls via voip and therefore no canone. Downside is you then can't have Teleconomy Internazionale, which is 10 a month for unlimited international calls to a fixed line from your fixed line and reduced price calls to an international cell phone. Anyway, quality is good and so far it has been reliable - had it 4 years. Very few dropped calls and the Internet is way fast enough for a slingbox - I can download a tv prog in less than 10 minutes, so not bad. Fastweb for the few months we had it, 4 years ago admittedly, was pricey and dropped alot of calls.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that. I did hesitate about hte Fastweb package to be honest. I've heard things like it's difficult to get set up (takes ages) and cancel etc.

You know, I've just seen the box for OH and smelly flatmate's Alice modem and I was wondering why it was called a 'voip' modem.. i think you have answered that for me! God, I can't believe they got the phone service as well, they are paying a fortune when they don't need it! They should have had me sort it out for them, they just dont know how to do research!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

I'm gonna miss Smelly Flatmate when you move out. I've grown rather fond of him.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

MR BAROLO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, we are with WIND/ INFOSTRADA we are very happy with them, been with them 18 months and the contract is €19 a month plus €3 extra if you want a WiFi box which we did but should of bought it ourselves - cheaper, calls locally are 12 cents per min but if you go to the post office and get ourself an international calling card which is dirt cheap ie, €2 for 100 hrs talk time you can call the world for a local call of 12 cents but we use Skype like most people, we have the monthly contract of €5 but can call any landline in europa for free and for €10 per month you can call the world

Hope i've been able to help?

Mr Barolo
Old Jun 26th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

MichelleLang is on a distinguished road

I would suggest research it very well, as we got into Fastweb which is expensive, but I have to say very good , but we have heard so many horror stories of changing providers that we are afraid to do so as my husband relies on the internet for work.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:10 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You are right to be wary - however if you want to change to telecomm I "believe" it is simpler because they own the lines! I could be wrong but it might be worth checking with them!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

We switched from Fastweb to Infostrada when we moved and it went ok. Our experience with Infostrada so far is also very good.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao tutti, been with Telecom since before they were called SIP and see no reason to change. As far as t'internet is concerned pay €16 per month for a broadband and WiFi modem which allows no. 3 son to work or play or both on his PC. At the same time, here I am on my laptop and listening to Sunday morning Classic FM as I type.
ciao for now,
'o nonno