Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The BBC channels have gone.....

The BBC channels have gone.....

Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default The BBC channels have gone.....

So, it finally happened, they must have switched all the BBC channels on the new satellite.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

jenny g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The BBC channels have gone.....

So what do we do now Duffer..please advise!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenny g
So what do we do now Duffer..please advise!!!
Jenny, have a look at the last posts in getting Sky Tv -Duffer explains how to do it via the internet.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:18 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item25.html

some information on the changeover here for those interested
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:50 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao!

I had completely forgotten about the changeover to Astra 2E for the BBC channels today so I didn't check. All I can confirm is that the Cartoon Network HD on Sky 601 and Sports News on 405 were working fine.

I will check at lunchtime what I can receive and then again in the evening.

Right now, the best thing to do is wait a couple of weeks so that we can update the reception reports regarding the dish sizes required for BBC.

At the end of the day, we all knew that Astra 1N was a temporary service and it wouldn't last forever. Before Astra 1N we had 2D which was pretty difficult to obtain in many parts of Italy.

Anyway, fingers crossed and if I find any news I will update it here.

In the meantime, start thinking about VPNs!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:07 am
Banned

richburnett@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - it looks like it's gone for good this time, I think all the rest will go in the next few days as well looking at the Astra 2e footprint. I have seen a few reports from Spain saying that they can get UK Sky, but not sure whether it will work here in Italy - any one out there still getting UK Sky?

UK Sky by satellite may be a way forward - if we can still get it by the end of the week!

You don't need to stream Sky on the Internet though, you can watch all the popular UK Channels for free on the web.
BBC iPlayer works fine and you can even download, but all channels are just about available "Live", you will need a UK iP address and a fast Internet connection if you are going to view on anything other than a phone or a tablet - otherwise the definition will be poor - or you will start to buffer - very annoying!

At the moment I am streaming the BBC on Satellite Internet (www.europasat.com) - works perfectly on my 42 inch Plasma, but data costs money and you have to think about what you want to watch, rather than just having it on in the background!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:22 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Well from a simple engineering perspective, and presuming the 45 and 60 on the BBC diagram are size of dish in cm's required in the UK and that the contour lines on the diagram represent the 3dB (half power) points of the beam, my guestimate is that Southern and Central Italy will struggle to get a useable signal without a very big dish (2.5-3m or even more down south!). moreover, existing dishes that currently work in Northern Italy may need to be replaced with bigger versions.

As duffer says - now may be a good time to investigate VPNs as an alternative.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

sonofjoe will become famous soon enoughsonofjoe will become famous soon enough

Well I dumped Sky last year and now watch BBC, ITV, CH4 & 5 among others via www.filmon.com. with an HDMI. Its quite good, minimal adverts free recording for up to 10 hours a month, but for HD you have to pay - 9.95 Euros a month or 99.50 a year
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:53 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a bigger dish might be required but there is hope for people with weak signal or in the fringe areas, i.e. those that might get a little bit of signal during the day and then see it disappear in the evening. Sometimes an upgrade of LNB and cable can help improve the signal quality.

As long as the kids' channels and Sky and BT Sport are working I'm happy!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:06 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes, a bigger dish might be required but there is hope for people with weak signal or in the fringe areas, i.e. those that might get a little bit of signal during the day and then see it disappear in the evening. Sometimes an upgrade of LNB and cable can help improve the signal quality.
Agreed duffer, a low-loss cable and better LNB will improve the chances of getting a useable signal as will a bigger dish. Planning regs or condominium rules may hamper the chance of getting a big enough dish for some people methinks.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:11 am
Dunroaming back in UK

One of these might help
Attached Thumbnails The BBC channels have gone.....-big-antennae.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:02 am
Pull my finger

Excellent! I wonder if Amazon have them in stock!

No BBC for me either. Not even the regional versions or Cbeebies. However, Sky OnDemand working fine for me, tested iPlayer and now currently streaming Film 2014.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

We have lost BBC in central Italy. Not sure how true it is but a friend said by realigning his 1m dish he could get C5 but then lost everything else so wondering when all goes we will get away with a 1m dish or have to upgrade.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:32 pm
Pull my finger

Well in theory you shouldn't have to realign the dish because Astra 2F and 2E are in the same position as 1N, i.e. 28.2E. The point being that those in the UK get improved signal without needing to do anything at all and the BBC are doing their bit by making their content available only to the UK where they hold the rights.

Sky on the other hand do not have the same problem as BBC because their signal is encrypted and you would need a UK address to gain a subscription. So hopefully if and when Sky moves to Astra 2E, we hope they broadcast on the European beam and not the UK beam like the BBC are doing.

Having said that Mike, it's always worth checking your dish is aligned correctly because it might have been knocked off slightly due to high winds, etc. and being 1-2mm out with a strong signal is not such a big problem but when we are talking about a weak signal, then everything needs to be perfect or as close to!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:36 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by mikethomo
We have lost BBC in central Italy. Not sure how true it is but a friend said by realigning his 1m dish he could get C5 but then lost everything else so wondering when all goes we will get away with a 1m dish or have to upgrade.
What Duffer said

i would also add that it is probably worth noting that daytime and night time signal levels may be different and that rain can also adversely affect a weak signal so tiem of day and weathe rmay be significant.

A 1m dish strikes me as small for central Italy but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.