Baptism

Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Baptism

Hi,

I am going to be the godmother at an italian baptism soon. I thought i was chilled about this but now i'm beginning to panic that i dont know what to take as a gift or wear.

Ok, i probably can work out the outfit, but what gift?? I know presents are usually big money in italy.. But do they go for the usually silver gifts as in the uk or what? Id like to get a nice "bella figura" gift but dont want to get something that will never see the light of day again.

Muchos grazie xx
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Nellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baptism

We received children's gold neckchains/bracelets (the idea being the kids can always trade in gold when they are older), silver photo frames, Thun bunnies...(No-one gave cash)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

When my youngest was baptised, a close friend gifted a beautiful silver spoon. When he grew up he lost it.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:13 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

don't give cash.

When my kids were younger and starting to feed themseleves, I could only find really blunt, clunky, plastic forks and spoon sets here. There is no way they could stab a piece of penne or fusili pasta with those blunt, rounded forks let alone a piece of meat, so I bought a stainless steel set in the UK.

Later I bought a silver set for a friend and had the child's name engraved on them. She loved it and it was different to the usual stuff given here. It was something that she used and then cleaned and put away for the child to keep forever.

There are some beautifully boxed sets that you can buy and would make a great present..... like these :

http://www.childrens-cutlery.co.uk/p...tlery-c-2.html

Shop around for good prices as you'll have to check delivery charges too.

If you don't like that idea, go internet shopping on UK sites for silver christening gifts or personalised dinner sets or ceramic dishes and cups. There are some really lovely things out there. Italy hasn't got as far with the personalised things as we have and apart from some crappy keyrings or magnets, they don't have a lot, but all the people who have seen my kids' cups or door plaques or pens with their names on have loved them. Obviously you wouldn't buy pens, but you know what I mean.

If you don't have time for UK delivery, some of the Italian bonboniere shops have some great gifts to buy, pretty trinket boxes or crystal or bedroom wall clocks and things. It's not just about sugared almonds.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Hi,
Thanks all for your replies. Great suggestions, i will get searching.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

re Lorna's cutlery idea. When my eldest was born a friend of my mums bought me a lovely cutlery set. At the time I thought wtf, but it was great - we still use the knife for butter and when the children were starting to feed themselves they couldn't hurt themselves but could stab the food.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

They might get cash from Grannies as such, who don't really know what you want or to put towards a designer pram or something.

As godmother go for something expensive. The more expensive (looking) the better, wich will assure you a bella figura, and yes you're probably better off buying in the UK.

PS Please do not say "Muchos grazie" on this forum ...
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

I think I'm sorted. Over spent but hopefully have done the bella figura with a lovely personalised necklace. I like it alot. I'd wear it

Gifts are much more expensive in Italy.

"PS Please do not say "Muchos grazie" on this forum ... "
Bit too Del Boy?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by .Ariel.

"PS Please do not say "Muchos grazie" on this forum ... "
Bit too Del Boy?