Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Hi first timer here. My first visit to Abruzzo is next week for a few days.Have never driven in Italy before. Can anyone tell me best way to exit Rome Ciampino to go to Pescara Nord.
I am even terrified of driving out of the airport to get started but know that I need to do it sometime.
Here's a big tip ............. stay on the right side of the roads

Sorry, I souldn't joke if you're already nervous.

If you don't have a sat nav could you google some maps and print them out?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Here's a big tip ............. stay on the right side of the roads

Sorry, I souldn't joke if you're already nervous.

If you don't have a sat nav could you google some maps and print them out?
Thanks Lorna, I will get sat nav. Can't wait to go.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

and you'll need 10 sets of eys on the motorways. Italians are not the most considerate drivers and far too many of them lane swap without ever indicating.

Motorway speed limits are 130 km per hour but if you're doing 130 in the middle lane then you'll see an awul lot of cars going faster than that in the fast lane....and if you get in their way many of them will come speeding up your arse and flash their lights at you - which is in fact illegal but they do it.

Take it nice and easy and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

and you'll need 10 sets of eys on the motorways. Italians are not the most considerate drivers and far too many of them lane swap without ever indicating.

Motorway speed limits are 130 km per hour but if you're doing 130 in the middle lane then you'll see an awul lot of cars going faster than that in the fast lane....and if you get in their way many of them will come speeding up your arse and flash their lights at you - which is in fact illegal but they do it.

Take it nice and easy and you'll be fine.
Is there a slow lane or a 'best lane' to stay sitting in on the route to Abruzzo?
Is there an acceptable slower speed allowed say 55mph - 60mph. I don't really want to exceed this on my first journey. Where I live in the Highlands of Scotland, we have 2 lane dual carriageways and no more than that which is of course easy, so not even used to motorways in Britain.
Ta
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road

hi there, sorry for the delay in replying hope all is going well for you and don't worry too much about driving in italy it's not half as bad as is made out and i drive a right hand car. as far as coming out of the airport i haven't actually done it myself but have been getting directions for friends of mine who are going to the aiport next week. apparently when you come out of the aiport you look for the signs for the grande raccordo anulare (GRA) the ring road and go anti clockwise heading south looking for the sign for l'aquila then on to teramo. i think there will be a turn off when you get up towards pescara. re things to do and see around atri. well atri is a lovely town and there are some nice restaurants fantastic views all around the town. there is a jazz festival next week that is very popular so there will be plenty going on. also pineto on the coast is lovely very clean beaches surrounded by pine trees. teramo is worth going to they have a great market on saturday mornings. if you get near to my area bisenti give me a call and we can meet up for a coffee. best wishes, sheila
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Hi Maur-Ross,
Welcome!
Don't worry about the driving - you'll be absolutely fine. As soon as you're out of Rome, it's the quietest motorway ever.

So here's what you do:
1. From the airport go onto the GRA (Grande Raccordo Annullare, or ring road to you and me). It's only a few stops NORTHwards to exit 14 for L'Aquila (to make sure you go northwards, take the direction for Firenze).
2. After exit 14, you'll stop at the booth to get a ticket and then continue east on the A24/E80 motorway. The motorway splits in two for Pescara and L'Aquila. For Atri, it's a bit quicker to go via L'Aquila.
3. Come off the motorway at the Val Vomano and follow blue signs for Pescara (green signs refer to motorways, blue to normal roads). You'll follow the SS150 for 14km before you come to the Atri turn off.

Here's the route map:
http://maps.google.it/maps?f=d&sourc...3,0.06712&z=14

Have fun!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheilamarsco
hi there, sorry for the delay in replying hope all is going well for you and don't worry too much about driving in italy it's not half as bad as is made out and i drive a right hand car. as far as coming out of the airport i haven't actually done it myself but have been getting directions for friends of mine who are going to the aiport next week. apparently when you come out of the aiport you look for the signs for the grande raccordo anulare (GRA) the ring road and go anti clockwise heading south looking for the sign for l'aquila then on to teramo. i think there will be a turn off when you get up towards pescara. re things to do and see around atri. well atri is a lovely town and there are some nice restaurants fantastic views all around the town. there is a jazz festival next week that is very popular so there will be plenty going on. also pineto on the coast is lovely very clean beaches surrounded by pine trees. teramo is worth going to they have a great market on saturday mornings. if you get near to my area bisenti give me a call and we can meet up for a coffee. best wishes, sheila
Hi Sheila,
Thank you for all your advice. Also with advice from Lorna, I feel a bit better about driving already. I am coming out with my son for a short break to view some wee houses for a holiday home. I probably won't be able to visit far afield. I do intend to do sime exploring though. I don't know how far away in driving terms Bisenti is from Atri. But if I can get near it ( a lot of my trip is scheduled at the weekend for viewing etc.) However the Thursday and Friday are exploring days. It would be great to meet for coffee if it is at all possible. Thank you for the invite.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genzana
Hi Maur-Ross,
Welcome!
Don't worry about the driving - you'll be absolutely fine. As soon as you're out of Rome, it's the quietest motorway ever.

So here's what you do:
1. From the airport go onto the GRA (Grande Raccordo Annullare, or ring road to you and me). It's only a few stops NORTHwards to exit 14 for L'Aquila (to make sure you go northwards, take the direction for Firenze).
2. After exit 14, you'll stop at the booth to get a ticket and then continue east on the A24/E80 motorway. The motorway splits in two for Pescara and L'Aquila. For Atri, it's a bit quicker to go via L'Aquila.
3. Come off the motorway at the Val Vomano and follow blue signs for Pescara (green signs refer to motorways, blue to normal roads). You'll follow the SS150 for 14km before you come to the Atri turn off.

Here's the route map:
http://maps.google.it/maps?f=d&sourc...3,0.06712&z=14

Have fun!
Hi Genzana,
This is just the kind of idiot proof instructions that I need, thanksyou so very .I will print all the info off. Good to hear that the road gets quieter out of Rome. Feel more confident already
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:46 am

Glad you got some positive help from the friendly members on this forum.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road

hi there well i'll be in mutignano on friday the 10th.,july meeting with a friend so if you have time and want to meet up either there or in atri then that would be great but if not another time. hope all goes well have a great trip. (pm me if you do want to meet up).
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheilamarsco
hi there well i'll be in mutignano on friday the 10th.,july meeting with a friend so if you have time and want to meet up either there or in atri then that would be great but if not another time. hope all goes well have a great trip. (pm me if you do want to meet up).
Hi Sheilamarsco,
I will pm you later today when my son comes to show me how to do it.
thanks
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:53 pm

PM just means sending a private message through this forum.

Click on the person's username that you wish to PM and this will give you a drop down menu of options.

I'll send you one now so that you can see how it works.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

PM just means sending a private message through this forum.

Click on the person's username that you wish to PM and this will give you a drop down menu of options.

I'll send you one now so that you can see how it works.
You are so kind Lorna, could you send me one on the back of a 50€ note, ta. ;-))
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:29 pm

I am, as you say, very kind.

Unfortunately I am not made of money and 50 euro notes are well looked after in my purse and not sqaundered.

Try again after I have won the lottery
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Hi Sheilamarsco,
I will pm you later today when my son comes to show me how to do it.
thanks
Hi All,
Well I managed with your help to drive in Italy although returning to Rome was a nightmare. But I am still here and I have put a deposit down on a wee flat near Cellano Attunazia about 15minutes from Atri. Did quite a bit of exploring in the area and loved it all. So can't wait to go back. My son and I also had lunch with sheilamarsco and friend so being on this form has been very positive for me and Abruzzo is just magic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.