Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Teresa Kibb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

We have just bought a property for very silly money between Bisenti and Castiglione MR. We love the area so much we are thinking of moving to Italy permanently and are trying to establish how we could make a living. My husband is a choral director and would probably have to set up from scratch. His real passion is childrens choirs. I am looking at obtaining the CELTA qualification in order to teach English either privately or otherwise. Does anyone know if there is any call for English teachers in Abruzzo? I realise it is the first foreign language children learn at school. Also, does anyone have any experience of the education system? We have 2 pre school children.
Our next visits to Italy are 5 Feb to 14 Feb, possibly over Easter and 21 May to 3 June. We would love to meet up if anyone is around during those dates.
I can highly recommend checking out www.abbruzzoreality.com if you are looking to buy in the region. This is an English couple living near Elice who have an apartment to rent, contacts with local estate agents, will see the process through for you and maintain your property when you are not in Italy.

Look forward to hearing from you!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

welsh_john is an unknown quantity at this point

Re. TEFL/CELTA, I work as a teacher in Macerata, Le Marche (as I'm sure you know it's just to the north of you), and if my little private school is anything to go by, there are loads of people keen to learn English. We are over subscribed. I think that the English teaching is so poor in public schools that people are crying out for quality lessons from mother tongue speakers. They need it for work and travel. Who speaks Italian in China, for example? As for wages, you're looking at about 10-12 Euros (net) per hour, by the way. Be prepared for unsociable hours. Check out tefl.com. Hope this helps!

Last edited by welsh_john; Jan 14th 2008 at 10:07 pm. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

That is really helpful, thank you. It is good to hear from those with first hand experience of what is possible. It makes me realise we are not completely mad and these things are possible if we put our minds to it!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

pescarapest is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

I'm driving out from London to Pescara in March and I notice that there are several people on this site who yearn after English(?) food. As there will only be me and a few tools in the car I don't mind adding a couple of boxes of UK provisions if anyone is desperate for Marmite, tea bags or similar.

I'm not looking to make any money on this; it's just that the car will be nearly empty. The only proviso is that I will not carry ' a box of stuff from my aunt'. I will only carry non-perishable items in their original packing - I think you know why ("Did you pack this yourself, sir?).

I'm not sure of the exact date but if anyone's interested please let me know.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

emily7957 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Atessa, Abruzzo

Hi, We have just purchased a house near Atessa, Abruzzo. We have approx 130 vines and 10 olive trees that need pruning, anybody out there who can help/offer suggestions?
We are unable to get back the house until June/July and need help now. Look forward to comments, no matter how abusive!
John & Farnces.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
Just Joined

jaize is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct link is:

www.abruzzoreality.com

Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Essex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by out [url
www.abbruzzoreality.com[/url] if you are looking to buy in the region. This is an English couple living near Elice who have an apartment to rent, contacts with local estate agents, will see the process through for you and maintain your property when you are not in Italy.
In my humble opinion, I wouldn't recommend staying here, unless you like their two dogs barking during the day and night! As I say, in my opinion!

E
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Dogs are a fact of life in rural Italy and can be found wandering every roadside. They are very much part of Italian life outside of the towns and cities. The dogs in this case were extremely friendly, good fun and asleep at night. My young children loved them.

I have now decided to unsubscribe to this, as I have only had one positive and helpful response to my initial message.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

jazzie47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on the same mission! My partner and I are off to Abruzzo on the 15th March - 18th for viewings. I must say this part of Italy looks like paradise. I would love to hear more from residents. Let me know some of the pitfalls, I can take it.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

tim gordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The major pitfall you have at the moment is the strengh of the euro
also the cost of buying as agents want 3% from each party!!
We are still looking my wife is flying out today as it happens Italy
is not that cheap to live in. But Abruzzo is wonderful be mindful about buying
some derelict building in the mountains it is a bit naive. You might
not even be able to get in the winter and it would be very cold

Tim
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Loreto is an unknown quantity at this point

Agency fees are a killer, especially if you're used to UK fees. However I offered our agent 2.5% and he was more than happy to accept this. Did think I should have gone even lower. Some will also accept cash, so no IVA.

Loreto
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tim gordon
Hi
The major pitfall you have at the moment is the strengh of the euro
also the cost of buying as agents want 3% from each party!!
We are still looking my wife is flying out today as it happens Italy
is not that cheap to live in. But Abruzzo is wonderful be mindful about buying
some derelict building in the mountains it is a bit naive. You might
not even be able to get in the winter and it would be very cold

Tim
Thanks so much, i hope your wife has some luck.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loreto
Agency fees are a killer, especially if you're used to UK fees. However I offered our agent 2.5% and he was more than happy to accept this. Did think I should have gone even lower. Some will also accept cash, so no IVA.

Loreto
Thanks for the advice, taken on board. Jill
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice on the agency fees - I stupidly paid a whopping 7.5% fee because I didn't think to bargain with the (UK-based) agent. Doh!

On house hunting - don't forget the lovely interior of Abruzzo. You've got cheaper property, wonderful mountains and are closer to the Rome airports (and Rome sightseeing/shopping of course!). L'Aquila and the Navelli valley are gorgeous, while the Sulmona area is even cheaper and absolutely stunning.

I prefer the untouched villages and dramatic peaks of the interior to the coastal region with gentler hills and more human presence, tower blocks, industry etc. And you're still close enough for daytrips to the beach.

For suggestions on nice spots to try, just drop me a line.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Ed Foley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by genzana
Good advice on the agency fees - I stupidly paid a whopping 7.5% fee because I didn't think to bargain with the (UK-based) agent. Doh!

On house hunting - don't forget the lovely interior of Abruzzo. You've got cheaper property, wonderful mountains and are closer to the Rome airports (and Rome sightseeing/shopping of course!). L'Aquila and the Navelli valley are gorgeous, while the Sulmona area is even cheaper and absolutely stunning.

I prefer the untouched villages and dramatic peaks of the interior to the coastal region with gentler hills and more human presence, tower blocks, industry etc. And you're still close enough for daytrips to the beach.

For suggestions on nice spots to try, just drop me a line.
Yep I did the same thing with agents. We bought an apartment near Lanciano last November. I haven't had a lot of chance to explore inland yet but the places I have visited (Chieti, Pescoconstanza, Passo Lanciano on La Majella, val di Sangro) have been pretty impressive. If you have other suggestions I for one would be really grateful. The guidebooks tend to focus on buildings etc. and whilst I am interested in those as well I would also be interested in places for picnics, walking etc or just some of the great views or even restaurants/ agritourismos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.