Alitalia

Old May 2nd 2017, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alitalia

Hi,Im quite surprised this hasnt been discussed here.I know this is an endless saga, but it does seem quite serious today with bankruptcy being declared and no lifelines.I fly Ryanair anyway but that could have a knockon effect with prices etc .What do you guys think,cheers,Brian.
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alitalia

Alitalia has collapsed because so many people, like you, prefer to fly Ryanair for lower fares and greater reliability. It's serious for the Alitalia staff, certainly; but they voted to reject changes in pay/conditions that might have led to the airline's survival. Presumanly they knew what they were doing. I can't see that it matters to anyone else, except Italian taxpayers if the government is silly enough to put public money into another rescue plan
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
Alitalia has collapsed because so many people, like you, prefer to fly Ryanair for lower fares and greater reliability. It's serious for the Alitalia staff, certainly; but they voted to reject changes in pay/conditions that might have led to the airline's survival. Presumanly they knew what they were doing. I can't see that it matters to anyone else, except Italian taxpayers if the government is silly enough to put public money into another rescue plan
AZ staff didn't do much to attract passengers. Seems Etihad had enough of throwing money down a bottomless hole.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Alitalia has been in its death throes for the last 15 or 20 years - never restructured, and never told to stand on its own feet, safe in the knowledgethat as the 'bandiera' line it wouldbe bailed out. They voted no this time assuming it would be the same. Thankfully after the last noses in the trough under Berlo, where he literally gave Alitalia to his best friends who then took bonuses of 180 million and walked away, the govt has had enough. O LEary will be chuffed- he has been waiting for this for years, the competition from Ryanair on Alitalia routes has been mounting over the last couple of years, because O'L doesn't want Alitalia with all its 1960's contracts and baggage, he just wants the slots - and then he will be the new alitalia by default. Given my flying experience with Alitalia, I prefer Ryanair, AZ staff were the rudest and most arrogant of all, and by all accoutsn the pilots were the most drunk.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Alitalia has been in its death throes for the last 15 or 20 years - never restructured, and never told to stand on its own feet, safe in the knowledgethat as the 'bandiera' line it wouldbe bailed out. They voted no this time assuming it would be the same. Thankfully after the last noses in the trough under Berlo, where he literally gave Alitalia to his best friends who then took bonuses of 180 million and walked away, the govt has had enough. O LEary will be chuffed- he has been waiting for this for years, the competition from Ryanair on Alitalia routes has been mounting over the last couple of years, because O'L doesn't want Alitalia with all its 1960's contracts and baggage, he just wants the slots - and then he will be the new alitalia by default. Given my flying experience with Alitalia, I prefer Ryanair, AZ staff were the rudest and most arrogant of all, and by all accoutsn the pilots were the most drunk.
Hi,sounds like an investment for Phillip Green lol.Does anyone think that if Ryanair take over all the slots that a lot of our direct flights from UK to all our locations here will cease and will operate from the 2 hubs indirectly like Alitalia.That would be a pain in the arse,cheers,Brian.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never flown Ryan Air nor would I dream of doing so ever. Watched them once doing check in in Malta and how friendly staff was. Not very different to AZ.
Got a free upgrade on AZ once :-)). Only time I ever used them.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I have never flown Ryan Air nor would I dream of doing so ever. Watched them once doing check in in Malta and how friendly staff was. Not very different to AZ.
Got a free upgrade on AZ once :-)). Only time I ever used them.
Hi,we use Ryanair about twice a year and our UK home is only half hour from stansted.Other than the companys money scamming tactics that we try to keep on top of,the staff mainly have been curtious and efficient.I suppose thats all you can expect nowdays,cheers,Brian.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Given my flying experience with Alitalia, I prefer Ryanair, AZ staff were the rudest and most arrogant of all, and by all accoutsn the pilots were the most drunk.
I used to fly with Alitalia quite regularly between London and Rome and found the flights were very comfortable. They had a much better gates than the budget airlines and pleny of space in the planes.
My last Ryanair flight from Perugia to Catania was the exact opposite. Uncomfortable seats, 2 hours late and every seat taken. They also took our hand baggage just before boarding the plane and stuck it in the hold.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
I used to fly with Alitalia quite regularly between London and Rome and found the flights were very comfortable. They had a much better gates than the budget airlines and pleny of space in the planes.
My last Ryanair flight from Perugia to Catania was the exact opposite. Uncomfortable seats, 2 hours late and every seat taken. They also took our hand baggage just before boarding the plane and stuck it in the hold.
Hi,might be worth being 2 hrs late not to get that stupid fanfare lol.It is what it is,you get what you pay for,although for us it is direct and cheaper,cheers,Brian.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Too many people not prepared to pay for what things cost these days, including a decent wage for airline staff.

Incidentally, there has been talk of Ryanair and other budget carriers facing problems post-Brexit if they continue to be HQ'd in the UK due to EU air treaties. Basically, the whole deregulation of EU airspace which allowed the likes of Ryanair, EasyJet and so on to proliferate might no longer apply to UK-based operators. I think EasyJet is registered in Cyprus so will be ok but not sure about others.
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Ryanair registered in Ireland?
Old May 4th 2017, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Too many people not prepared to pay for what things cost these days, including a decent wage for airline staff.

Incidentally, there has been talk of Ryanair and other budget carriers facing problems post-Brexit if they continue to be HQ'd in the UK due to EU air treaties. Basically, the whole deregulation of EU airspace which allowed the likes of Ryanair, EasyJet and so on to proliferate might no longer apply to UK-based operators. I think EasyJet is registered in Cyprus so will be ok but not sure about others.
Hi,I used to do my bit to help these poor underpaid workers by paying 500 quid to go 40+ stops on the tube to LHR to fly to FCO or LIN and wait up to 6hrs for a connection to SUF.When they lost our luggage for 2 days we had to drive 1hr each way to retrieve,where every other airline in the world would put it in a taxi with their apologies.Then Ryanair came back on the scene,thank god,cheers,Brian.
Old May 4th 2017, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

It always amazes me seeing theantipathy towards Ryanair. If you read the T&Cs then you know exactly what you get. For those of you young ones who can't remember Frddy Laker adn how much flights used to cost, Ryanair has been a revolution in flying. Catania Londonwith Ryanair can cost 19 euros, plus a seat with legroom and a case - and it costs 60 euros. The same day flight with alitalia, with forced change in Rome due to their ridiculous hub cost 1200 euro. Admittedly on AZ some sulky staff would chuck a small bag of raisins in my general direction and might grace with me some warm orange jiuce.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This shows some of basic statistics .
Alitalia e le altre: il confronto con Ryanair e Lufthansa - Repubblica.it

Alitalia doesn't have a niche anymore , it can't compete for the business travel and its lost the economy business . When I had to go to Naples on business the travel agent apologised '' Sorry , it will have to be Alitalia .... ''
Old May 4th 2017, 7:58 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

In my first couple of years here I earned 800.000 Lire a month and flights home used to cost between 600 and 700 thousand Lire. Not direct flights either because there were none to the north of England so I had to change in London.
I used to save up all year just to get home for Christmas.

Telecom was the same though. Back when it was SIP it cost me 250.000 Lire to have a phone put in my flat. More than a quarter of what I was earning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.