British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   4 season tyres (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/4-season-tyres-901518/)

heritagestanley Aug 11th 2017 2:23 pm

4 season tyres

We have to have winter tyres or carry snow chains between mid-November and mid-April here. Does anyone know if 4 season tyres count as winter tyres for the purposes of complying with this legal requirement? I know it's a bit odd to be asking this just when we've come through the hottest spell on record!

philat98 Aug 11th 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 4 season tyres

I had 4 season tyres fitted on my car last November in a local garage. It saves keeping a spare set of tyres.

37100 Aug 11th 2017 5:16 pm

As long as they are stamped M+S you are good to go.

philat98 Aug 11th 2017 5:33 pm

I just checked my 4 season tyres and they are marked with sun,rain and snow symbols as well as M+S. I suspect they wouldn't be much good in difficult snow or ice conditions.

heritagestanley Aug 11th 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks both: much obliged

Pulaski Aug 11th 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12314681)
I just checked my 4 season tyres and they are marked with sun,rain and snow symbols as well as M+S. I suspect they wouldn't be much good in difficult snow or ice conditions.

As Philat hinted, I think there are two issues: do four season tyres meet the legal requirements? And are four season tyres actually any good for driving on snow and ice?

If you don't have much snow and/ or rarely venture out when the roads are covered in snow or ice then four season tyres may be adequate, but if you live in the mountains and regularly have snow and need to drive on it, then I think proper winter tyres would be a good investment. If it was me, I would invest in a set of wheels from a scrap yard to mount winter tyres on to use in the winter, to avoid having to switch tyres twice a year.

BRIAN 1 Aug 12th 2017 7:22 am

Hi,probably a silly question,we are driving back to UK in December.We will be on motorways mainly,but will overnight a few miles off,probably Lugano.Do we need these tyres?Cheers,Brian.

37100 Aug 12th 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1 (Post 12315035)
Hi,probably a silly question,we are driving back to UK in December.We will be on motorways mainly,but will overnight a few miles off,probably Lugano.Do we need these tyres?Cheers,Brian.

You need winter tyres - M&S stamped- or chains in the boot in Northern Italy.

Geordieborn Aug 12th 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12315044)

Same here in Abruzzo and I suspect most places in Italy and indeed countries within Europe.

Seldomseenkid Aug 12th 2017 9:08 am

I go back to the UK at the end of November every year through Switzerland. My snow chains are still in the original wrapping unopened. But as Pulaski wisely points out it's where you live that matters.

BRIAN 1 Aug 12th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12315044)

Where can I find a Marks and Spencer in Calabria,lol.No, joking apart,I broke the law last year not knowing this,although we overnighted in Arezzo and Colmar staying on motorway inbetween.So is that illegal also,staying on motorway,cheers,Brian.

37100 Aug 13th 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1 (Post 12315231)
Where can I find a Marks and Spencer in Calabria,lol.No, joking apart,I broke the law last year not knowing this,although we overnighted in Arezzo and Colmar staying on motorway inbetween.So is that illegal also,staying on motorway,cheers,Brian.

Well....staying on the motorway is not illegal. However chains or winter tyres are a legal requirement.

BRIAN 1 Aug 13th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12315544)
Well....staying on the motorway is not illegal. However chains or winter tyres are a legal requirement.

Well,I dont know whether to thank you or not after that sarcy answer.

Geordieborn Aug 13th 2017 10:08 am

Brian I think the simple answer is that you need snow chains or the equivalent in Italy or in France, Germany and others for that matter. A quick search "do i need snow chains in Italy" came up with this from Europcar and many more links. Here a few years back the police had a stop point at a busy road junction and stopped lots of people and many were fined €36+ , but I'm sure it can be a lot worsein different areas. They have no carried out this exercise since as far as I know, many think they just needed some cash at that time!

BRIAN 1 Aug 13th 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Geordieborn (Post 12315592)
Brian I think the simple answer is that you need snow chains or the equivalent in Italy or in France, Germany and others for that matter. A quick search "do i need snow chains in Italy" came up with this from Europcar and many more links. Here a few years back the police had a stop point at a busy road junction and stopped lots of people and many were fined €36+ , but I'm sure it can be a lot worsein different areas. They have no carried out this exercise since as far as I know, many think they just needed some cash at that time!

Cheers,I googled it and some say mountainous regions only and some all roads.I suppose the A1 climbs a fair bit in places so is in that category,I will look around for snow chains,cheers,Brian.