Software Engineer in NZ

Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Software Engineer in NZ

Help .. any advise would be gratefully received.

I have PR, and we fly to NZ in August. I am sending CVs off left, right and centre but don't feel like I am getting anywhere.

I have 12 years experience, in a mixture of languages. Really, REALLY want to settle in christchurch, but not sure how realistic this will be.

Will it improve actually being in the country? any tips?

thanks

Lou
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Software Engineer in NZ

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Help .. any advise would be gratefully received.

I have PR, and we fly to NZ in August. I am sending CVs off left, right and centre but don't feel like I am getting anywhere.

I have 12 years experience, in a mixture of languages. Really, REALLY want to settle in christchurch, but not sure how realistic this will be.

Will it improve actually being in the country? any tips?

thanks

Lou
If it's anything like OZ, no-one will really bother with you until you are in-country and available. I'm sure that once you are there it will be easier.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Software Engineer in NZ

I think hoofie2002 is generally correct. I was trying to secure an NZ gig from the US, and the recruiters would not work with me until I provided them with a date that I would arrive in NZ. I argued that I could show up anytime I'm needed, and that I needed to have a job to go to. NZ recruiters could not be motivated.

I did encounter an exception. An NZ recruiter arranged a phone interview for a gig in Christchurch. But the client dropped the ball. They gave no warning, and simply flaked. They did not followup with an apology of any kind either. The recruiter then dodged my calls to find out what happened. Most likely, they hired a local at the last minute.

Last edited by jgombos; Jul 15th 2008 at 8:10 pm.