IT skills shortage

Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice
Default IT skills shortage

I think they're lying to us!
I'm been in Melbourne 3 weeks now, i've worked in telecoms 7 years.Last year i took a year out to self study Cisco kit, i have now CCNP/CCIP . The only job adverts i see are from agencies. I've gone for an interview and technical test with one agency and scored 100%. I keep hearing about lack of commercial experience with Cisco even though i have 7+ years with other vendors , a little here are there with Cisco and hours of practise on my own Cisco lab purchased on ebay.
If there is a skills shortage surely the employer cant be so fussy, shouldn't they be happy to get someone that knows the technology?
Also most job adverts i see require you to know a hugh scope, routing,switching,security, voice etc.. In the Uk a couple of these is enough.
When i looked for jobs in the UK as soon as i put my CV online my phone was hopping and i'd have a job in afew days.Here in Oz its a different story i have spoke to a couple of agents and it hasn't moved on from there.
How can i bypass these agencies? where can i get a list of companies in Melbourne? This is starting to get to me as i've put in a hugh amount of time and effort to become competent in Cisco , i'm even considering returning to the UK as i'm eager to work.
So is there a job shortage or is it a case of companies being extremely fussy?
Or is it the agencies are brutal?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT skills shortage

Hi Hope you dont mind, have posted this on BritVics http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=3028 As I'm currently doing TRA & am a Cisco Network Manager with an IT degree but no cisco certs (not even CCNA) so you have got me worried!
Kevin

>Guys I have committed the cardinal sin of copying someone elses post on >BritishExpats but it has died in the "Working Abroad/IT" forum and >certainly has me very worried

>How typical is this?

>Does anyone else have same / different experiences?

####################QUOTE######################### ##

ed_the_lad

Default IT skills shortage
I'm been in Melbourne 3 weeks now, i've worked in telecoms 7 years.Last year i took a year out to self study Cisco kit, i have now CCNP/CCIP . The only job adverts i see are from agencies. I've gone for an interview and technical test with one agency and scored 100%. I keep hearing about lack of commercial experience with Cisco even though i have 7+ years with other vendors , a little here are there with Cisco and hours of practise on my own Cisco lab purchased on ebay.
If there is a skills shortage surely the employer cant be so fussy, shouldn't they be happy to get someone that knows the technology?
Also most job adverts i see require you to know a hugh scope, routing,switching,security, voice etc.. In the Uk a couple of these is enough.
When i looked for jobs in the UK as soon as i put my CV online my phone was hopping and i'd have a job in afew days.Here in Oz its a different story i have spoke to a couple of agents and it hasn't moved on from there.
How can i bypass these agencies? where can i get a list of companies in Melbourne? This is starting to get to me as i've put in a hugh amount of time and effort to become competent in Cisco , i'm even considering returning to the UK as i'm eager to work.

####################QUOTE######################### ##
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice

No Problem, one month down and still nothing.I'm working towards my ccie so hopefully when i get it things will change.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

You really have me worried, what do you mean by 'nothing'?
Is the recruiting cycle long so you still have some interviews you haven't heard about or have you not been offered interviews.
Are more lowly jobs like helpdesk available to get some Oz experience or is it a closed door all round?
Given the number of vacancies on seek is 20x what is available in swansea, cardiff or bristol put together I was rashly expecting it to be quite easy LOL!
Are you getting any feedback or reasons from the agents or are they as sh1t as in the UK.

Kevin

Kevin
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

When i arrived i contacted alot of agencies and regularly applied for jobs i saw on seek.Now i dont bother anymore,if i see a job advertised by a company i will apply, if its via a agency i dont bother.
The agents in the UK are great compared with here in Oz, the agents in UK are proactive and are trying to make money, the agents in Oz are hopeless,maybe they dont work on commission, thats the only thing that makes sense to me.
More than half the jobs adverted on seek and definitely fake, agents just fishing for cv's,they must have so many and thats why the response is so brutal.My firend is here to he had the same problems when he arrived 2 years ago, he works on microsoft servers etc, he finally got a job direct with a company and vows never to use agents again.
The problem is alot of companies just use agents for recruiting, and as far as IT agents go they are braindead, so these clueless guys make a decision to forward your cv on or not.So maybe the IT skills shortage in Oz is a result of the agents.
Lots of Cisco jobs everyday on seek and i cant get a look in because i've never worked a pure Cisco role even though i've got 7+ years telecoms exp and cisco certs to prove ability.
Even when i apply for jobs i have the experience for i never get a callback.
I seem to fall into a nice category of no Cisco commercial experience or im over skilled.
I think the agents give preference to Australians, just be prepared to be out of work for afew months.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Ed, it sounds to me like you are applying for jobs in an area of IT where you have no experience.

You mention you have lots of experiecne with other vendors products apart from Cisco. Are there any jobs going using this experience?

Buzzy
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Yes, i've applied for afew, but i used to work on Alcatel kit and its not so popular over here.The jobs i've applied for on Alcatel kit, i could do easily but still no callbacks.
I worked on Alcatel kit for 7+ years, i studied hardcore on Cisco for 1.5 years and i can safely say my Cisco knowledge is now greater than my Alcatel knowledge.Just a shame i cant get an interview as yet to show my knowledge, but i'm not worrying about it anymore, i'll just see what pans out over the next 6 months.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Ed, sorry if you're doing this already, but can I suggest calling them, instead of waiting for callbacks. Just keep ringing everybody, get out there and meet people, join your industry assoc if there is one.

Or go to Darwin and get a job working for wmoore!

Buzzy
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
Hi Ed,

I should really place a disclaimer on what I am about to write here, oh well here goes!

As a senior Cisco network engineer of 7 years I read your post with much interest as the company who I work for is currently looking to recruit a new member of staff here in the UK. We have been using agencies who help to perform the 1st level of screening and help to weed out the wheat from the chaff so to speak, or at least that's how it should be. I have had over half a
dozen supposed CCNP's come and go and as I am sure you are well aware given your background not all engineers are of equal technical ability. Whilst many of them have come across well during interview and have a CV to back them up we feel that we would not be able to recruit the correct candidate if we did not push them a litle bit further, so to speak. To that end we have been putting all prospective technicians through a Cisco lab which I have put together to ascertain their skill set, not one of them has come out the other end and this is a lab which is pitched at a good CCNP candidate. Given what you say with regards to your Cisco credentails and knowledge, hand on heart do you think that you would be capable of getting through said lab yourself? I'm talking about configuring elements of R&S, route redistribution, QoS and IPSec (Via CLI) here, all fair game for people who have stated on their CV's that they are capable of doing all of the above.

Personally, if I was looking to recruit a new member of staff and I had x number of candidates with 7 years of pure Cisco experience Vs x number of staff with 7 years of experience in Telecoms and 12-18 months experience in Cisco then I am always going to give the former candidates the nod over the latter. When it's 2am and part of the network has just burnt down who is going to be able to get the network back up and running with the minimal amount of downtime? I would like to think the former and like it or not I imagine that most employers would be thinking along the same lines.

If I was you I would look to gain my CCIE ASAP if you are up to it, that way you stand head and shoulders above most candidates. If necessary get a job at a more junior level than what you have in mind, I would suggest at the level of a CCNA who had just gained their CCNP and look to start impressing upon your employer your technical abilities ASAP.

Good luck and let us know how you go on.

Cheers,

Ste&Dawn
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ste, nice to hear from the other side.Regarding your lab i'm sure i could get through it,on the spot the only thing i would have difficulty with is ipsec as its more of a memory thing rather than understanding and i find it a little boring.
My routing,switching and qos are great.Anyway good news today, i met with a nice agent and she's putting me forward for a job, i have a good feeling about this one and i'm pretty sure i'll get an interview.
I think the whole problem with Cisco jobs is that too many people are dumping the certs and the market is flooded with paper ccnp's.
Yes i agree with you about the ccie and i hope to have it in the next 6 months or so.
I still think its unfair to request specific commercial Cisco experience as i have my own lab and since i've worked with live networks before, i'm not exactly a novice.I think a Cisco hobbiest is potentially better than someone who's just doing the job and shouldn't be overlooked.
Maybe if things dont work out in the next 6 months i'll send you a mail :-) .
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Hi Ste, nice to hear from the other side.Regarding your lab i'm sure i could get through it,on the spot the only thing i would have difficulty with is ipsec as its more of a memory thing rather than understanding and i find it a little boring.
My routing,switching and qos are great.Anyway good news today, i met with a nice agent and she's putting me forward for a job, i have a good feeling about this one and i'm pretty sure i'll get an interview.
I think the whole problem with Cisco jobs is that too many people are dumping the certs and the market is flooded with paper ccnp's.
Yes i agree with you about the ccie and i hope to have it in the next 6 months or so.
I still think its unfair to request specific commercial Cisco experience as i have my own lab and since i've worked with live networks before, i'm not exactly a novice.I think a Cisco hobbiest is potentially better than someone who's just doing the job and shouldn't be overlooked.
Maybe if things dont work out in the next 6 months i'll send you a mail :-) .
Ed, did you get the job you mentioned in your above post?

Buzzy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Just did the interview today, got a technical exam to begin with which was no problem.After the exam came a nontechnical interview,seemed to go smoothly, the interviewer was a decent guy.Hopefully i came across ok, i'll find out tomorrow.It's the first interview i've done in years so its really hard for me to tell if it went good or bad.
If all was ok i'll have a technical interview next week.
Fingers crossed,i'll keep you updated.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Just did the interview today, got a technical exam to begin with which was no problem.After the exam came a nontechnical interview,seemed to go smoothly, the interviewer was a decent guy.Hopefully i came across ok, i'll find out tomorrow.It's the first interview i've done in years so its really hard for me to tell if it went good or bad.
If all was ok i'll have a technical interview next week.
Fingers crossed,i'll keep you updated.
Mmmm keep us posted. Don't understand why they do a technical exam and then a technical interview.....

Buzzy
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Ok i passed the first interview, now i have a the second on Monday, i'll let you know how it goes.Safe to say i'm going to have a bad weekend.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Try and relax Ed, if they asked you back you've obviously passed their 1st stage, so thats good news. Worst case take this as valuable interview experience and perhaps take things in your stride in the interview so you dont come across to eager/desperate, I know thats easy for me to say back here!
Good Luck for Monday

SB - a fellow Cisco bod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.