Are IT jobs in demand in Oz?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

mrsminkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are IT jobs in demand in Oz?

Hi,

I've just had a bombshell dropped on me that although teaching positions are on the SOL, it seems that there are too many teachers out there already.

Does anyone know if this is the case for IT professions?

My husband worked as an IT Suppport Technician for about 3.5 years before trying his hand in construction as a planner. Recently he's actually been a stay at home dad since March 08 to allow me to get a business off the deck.

He is now wanting to get back into work and to revive his IT career. He wants to do his MSCE with other little courses (A+ or something?) and get a job over here to gain some experience before we manage to get to Australia (if we do).

However, we've been told that the experience required to be considered a skilled migrant in IT is quite a lot. My OH doesn't have a degree in IT, he did a GNVQ at college and then has done some courses during his 3.5 year stint. We've been told that he would need about 8 years experience before being considered skilled.

please can anyone shed any light on this and give us some advice?

Many thanks in advance

Lorraine
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:50 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Are IT jobs in demand in Oz?

Originally Posted by mrsminkie
Hi,

I've just had a bombshell dropped on me that although teaching positions are on the SOL, it seems that there are too many teachers out there already.

Does anyone know if this is the case for IT professions?

My husband worked as an IT Suppport Technician for about 3.5 years before trying his hand in construction as a planner. Recently he's actually been a stay at home dad since March 08 to allow me to get a business off the deck.

He is now wanting to get back into work and to revive his IT career. He wants to do his MSCE with other little courses (A+ or something?) and get a job over here to gain some experience before we manage to get to Australia (if we do).

However, we've been told that the experience required to be considered a skilled migrant in IT is quite a lot. My OH doesn't have a degree in IT, he did a GNVQ at college and then has done some courses during his 3.5 year stint. We've been told that he would need about 8 years experience before being considered skilled.

please can anyone shed any light on this and give us some advice?

Many thanks in advance

Lorraine
You might be best approaching a migrant agent or posting this in the Immigration subforum under Australia.
The SOL for general skilled migration can be found here.
You can find the relevant info on the requirements from the ACS.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are IT jobs in demand in Oz?

Taking your husband's IT experience and IT qualifications into consideration, there is no way he can get approved as an IT professional from ACS (Austrlian Computer Society).