Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Help needed looking for IT work - please you lovely people

Help needed looking for IT work - please you lovely people

Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all
Default Help needed looking for IT work - please you lovely people

Hi all

I really really really want to moveaway from not so Great Britain. A family member and her family are moving to Mackay in 3 weeks and i'm really jealous. Anyhow I am currently am an IT teacher in a 6th form college, nut I want to look for work as an IT trainer or something similar. I have lots of experience with lots of different IT packages and have taught young and old alike. I've registered with Seek and a few others - but what do you think my prospects are like. My OH is a plumber/welder/pipefitter but unfortunately he's over the hill at 45!!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed looking for IT work - please you lovely people

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hi all

I really really really want to moveaway from not so Great Britain. A family member and her family are moving to Mackay in 3 weeks and i'm really jealous. Anyhow I am currently am an IT teacher in a 6th form college, nut I want to look for work as an IT trainer or something similar. I have lots of experience with lots of different IT packages and have taught young and old alike. I've registered with Seek and a few others - but what do you think my prospects are like. My OH is a plumber/welder/pipefitter but unfortunately he's over the hill at 45!!!
Hi Emz,
If you are under 45 you may be the principal applicant and therefore be eligible for regional/state sponsorship.

While this means, in a lot of states in Oz, you would not be able to live in some of the bigger cities (outside regions) you would be able to live anywhere you liked in South Australia (all considered a region and you could live/work in Adelaide) and ACT (though Canberra is the only real place to live/work there).

Take a look at the SA website http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.php - from here you can find more details about the IT skills in demand.

Of course, if you decided Oz is not for you the NZ will take people who can score enough points up to the age of 55...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Thanks Steve

I'm 37 so I know i'm ok there. I originally looked at NZ, beautiful country but the money is non too great. I dont understand when you say that I couldnt go to the big cities!!!

I'll also take a look at the skills shortage too - thanks for that. I'm so impatient - wish things would just magically happen!!! So you off soon - I hope you dont mind me asking and being nosey but will your job role be - is it anything to do with IT???

Emz
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hardly any states sponsor for ITteaching and IT trainers/teachers are not so in demand as skilled plumbers or welders ...Plumbers and welders are on the MODL list which means good chance if you can find an employer to sponsor your hubbie if he has at least 3 years work experience and been working at skilled level (not done a quick course in plumbing etc). At 45 he isn't too old if he can show he has done a proper training, usually for 3 years.

I recently got a 45 year old a 457 visa as a plumber as he had a friend here who found him a sponsor, I would suggest you do the same, maybe you need a trip to Oz to see if you want to be state sponsored and visit plumbers, welders etc but make sure hubbie is sufficiently skilled in one main occupation, in Oz they don't want jack of all trades, master of none!!

Sherie Blakesley
MARN 0639618
www.migratemates.com
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sherie

Thanks for your reply. My OH has a brother who lives I think just outside Adelaide. Would this help him? So age really doesnt matter he just needs to get sponsored. I think it would be a good idea for us to get hold of his brothers email address promptly!!! My OH (Martin) part owns his business with his son. Now it is his son who gained all the relevant plumbing quals. So do you think it would be better that he looked for pipefitting/weldding work (which he did for years). What kind of money are they paying for a job like that?

Thanks
Emz
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve

I'm 37 so I know i'm ok there. I originally looked at NZ, beautiful country but the money is non too great. I dont understand when you say that I couldnt go to the big cities!!!

I'll also take a look at the skills shortage too - thanks for that. I'm so impatient - wish things would just magically happen!!! So you off soon - I hope you dont mind me asking and being nosey but will your job role be - is it anything to do with IT???

Emz

Sorry Emz,

Just re-read my original message and realised it's not very clear.

What I meant to say is that REGIONAL is just that - a region within a state. These areas do not usually cover the big cities like Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Regional areas don't cover the Gold Coast of Queensland either.

However, ALL of South Australia is classed as a region - meaning that you can live anywhere in the state including ADELAIDE.

I have read rhe message from Sherie too. Sound advice.

Have you considered asking your brother-in-law to sponsor you as the principal applicant. Family sponsorship is far and away the easiest and best way to get Permanent Residence.

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Steve
Well since I chatted to you last i've had a right good search on the internet for jobs for my OH (Martin). I've found a couple of recruitment/migration agencies;

http://www.globaltradesearch.com.au/trades.html
and
http://www.ozgorecruitment.com.au/in...tpage&Itemid=1

Are these sort of things any good? In the mean time I am going to get Martin to get in touch with his brother and see if he nows anyone, also I have some family connections over there, just need to find out exactly where and see what we can do. You can get really obsessive about this cant you? Once you've made your mind up that you want to go, its like your on a mission
What stage are you at Steve?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Sorry Emz,

Just re-read my original message and realised it's not very clear.

What I meant to say is that REGIONAL is just that - a region within a state. These areas do not usually cover the big cities like Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Regional areas don't cover the Gold Coast of Queensland either.

However, ALL of South Australia is classed as a region - meaning that you can live anywhere in the state including ADELAIDE.

I have read rhe message from Sherie too. Sound advice.

Have you considered asking your brother-in-law to sponsor you as the principal applicant. Family sponsorship is far and away the easiest and best way to get Permanent Residence.

Steve

Agree Stephen family sponsorship should be the way to go, esp if hubbie cant prove the training

Sherie Blakesley
www.migratemates.com
MARN 0639618
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Steve
Well since I chatted to you last i've had a right good search on the internet for jobs for my OH (Martin). I've found a couple of recruitment/migration agencies;

http://www.globaltradesearch.com.au/trades.html
and
http://www.ozgorecruitment.com.au/in...tpage&Itemid=1

Are these sort of things any good? In the mean time I am going to get Martin to get in touch with his brother and see if he nows anyone, also I have some family connections over there, just need to find out exactly where and see what we can do. You can get really obsessive about this cant you? Once you've made your mind up that you want to go, its like your on a mission
What stage are you at Steve?

Hi Emz,

These kinds of things are fine. You could also look at the website:

http://www.workingin.com/

However, if you are the principal applicant why don't you try teaching IT. I would be very surprised to find that there is no demand for that in somewhere like South Australia and it would be useful if you were looking at State or Regional sponsorship. If you manage to get Family Sponsorship you can do whatever job you want, wherever you want to do it.

We haven't started the process yet.

As I mentioned in my pm, we were looking to go the Family Sponsorship route but got let down. We looked at State Sponsorship in SA and ACT before I was 45. SA didn't sponsor IT personnel at athat time and ACT didn't want my particular skills.

Of course, now I am 45 the rules on both states have changed and if I were below 45 I would now meet their criteria! Typical of our life!

So, my last throw of the dice on all this is to somehow land sponsorship from a kindly employer in South Australia. Else I will be having to sign up to ID Cards and all the other c**p the British Govt. throws our way!

Hope everything works out for you.

Steve

Last edited by Stephen Jones; Aug 31st 2008 at 4:19 pm. Reason: mistype on website address
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Steve

So am I write in thinking then as Martin is 45 there would be no point getting sponsorship from his brother, or does that not matter. I'm now thinking, get sponsorship via his brother, me then get registered as a teacher (because thats what I am any how). In the mean time, Martin will still be searching for jobs on the interent and applying.

I also have other relatives in Oz, my Aunty and my dads cousins (apparently these cousins dad were my Grandads brothers kids and my Grandads brother went to Oz, in the late 20's never to be seen again. The family tracked my dad down via the net about 3 months ago - they even want to write a book about it all)!!!

I think we must be at about the same stage of looking - so I think thats motivational for us both. Where abouts in Oz are you thinking about going?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Steve

So am I write in thinking then as Martin is 45 there would be no point getting sponsorship from his brother, or does that not matter. I'm now thinking, get sponsorship via his brother, me then get registered as a teacher (because thats what I am any how). In the mean time, Martin will still be searching for jobs on the interent and applying.

I also have other relatives in Oz, my Aunty and my dads cousins (apparently these cousins dad were my Grandads brothers kids and my Grandads brother went to Oz, in the late 20's never to be seen again. The family tracked my dad down via the net about 3 months ago - they even want to write a book about it all)!!!

I think we must be at about the same stage of looking - so I think thats motivational for us both. Where abouts in Oz are you thinking about going?

Hi firstly with regard to Martin, it depends on the kind of sponsorship you are looking for.

If it's a straight-forward family-sponsored type visa then the answer is no as Martin is 45 and the age-limit cut-off is 45.

If however your brother-in law was in a position to offer Martin employment then they may be able to find their way around the age limit by using the RSMS kind of visa that Sherie mentions in her earlier message.

If you are looking for state-sponsorship instead of family sponsorship then this would fall upon you to be the principal applicant. This does happen - see Wanted Down Under for numerous examples... Similarly for family sponsorship. I believe from my own experiences that your brother-in-law would be able to sponsor you.

Have you any children? If so, what ages are they?

Steve
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Steve and Sherie

What does RSMS stand for please Steve (Regionsal Skills Migration??)- I'm just being a bit numb!!! So if Martin's brother knows a plumber or a welding company willing to take him on - then we should stand a better chance???

I've been on the phone today to a solicitor who deals with this - you got a free initial assessment. I was assessed off my own skills. She told me that because i'm a 6th form teacher then I dont fall into the secondary school teaching band. Anyhow when she worked out my points I had 100 points - 20 short!!!! She said that a couple of states (Tasmania and Murray (NS Wales) will sponsor only if I got sponsored by my aunty - am I talking a load of rubbish. Felt really p*ssed off about it.

I also didnt realise until I was talking to my sons barber today (whos also in the process of emigrating) - how much it all costs. Did you lay a lot of money out to go through the family visa route - god I would have been so peeved about that. I'm really sorry about that Steve I didnt realise.

Feel like i'm back to square one - but we mustn't give up!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Steve and Sherie

What does RSMS stand for please Steve (Regionsal Skills Migration??)- I'm just being a bit numb!!! So if Martin's brother knows a plumber or a welding company willing to take him on - then we should stand a better chance???

I've been on the phone today to a solicitor who deals with this - you got a free initial assessment. I was assessed off my own skills. She told me that because i'm a 6th form teacher then I dont fall into the secondary school teaching band. Anyhow when she worked out my points I had 100 points - 20 short!!!! She said that a couple of states (Tasmania and Murray (NS Wales) will sponsor only if I got sponsored by my aunty - am I talking a load of rubbish. Felt really p*ssed off about it.

I also didnt realise until I was talking to my sons barber today (whos also in the process of emigrating) - how much it all costs. Did you lay a lot of money out to go through the family visa route - god I would have been so peeved about that. I'm really sorry about that Steve I didnt realise.

Feel like i'm back to square one - but we mustn't give up!!

have a look at this...
http://www.acitybycityguidetolivinga...ent_Residence/

it explains various visa options etc

Steve