Confused about jobs

Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Confused about jobs

Im currently in the UK looking to move to Melbourne Florida, i do not mind commuting 1 hour each day in any direction.

I understand that I will have to arrange for sponsorship for my visa, which i understand people may be reluctant to do due to the fact that im currently in the UK, would it be better for me to move over on a K3 Visa then get a job??

Or should I sit and wait till the company I currently work with have any openings in the US and negotiate where I can work from, bearing in mind their offices are in:

San Francisco CA
Phoenix, AZ
Metairie, LA
Havertown, PA
Chicago, IL
Austin TX

I know that my company is happy to relocate people as one of my colleagues from here in the UK has just moved to Sweden (head office for the company)

Terri (my Fiance) is starting to get anxious that im not going to make it across so we had a sit down last night and talk about the best possible route, I said i think it would have been me waiting till a job comes up in the US for me then marrying her which she understands however that means having to wait for a job to pop up meaning we would have to let fate decide...

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

micheller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused about jobs

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
Im currently in the UK looking to move to Melbourne Florida, i do not mind commuting 1 hour each day in any direction.

I understand that I will have to arrange for sponsorship for my visa, which i understand people may be reluctant to do due to the fact that im currently in the UK, would it be better for me to move over on a K3 Visa then get a job??

Or should I sit and wait till the company I currently work with have any openings in the US and negotiate where I can work from, bearing in mind their offices are in:

San Francisco CA
Phoenix, AZ
Metairie, LA
Havertown, PA
Chicago, IL
Austin TX

I know that my company is happy to relocate people as one of my colleagues from here in the UK has just moved to Sweden (head office for the company)

Terri (my Fiance) is starting to get anxious that im not going to make it across so we had a sit down last night and talk about the best possible route, I said i think it would have been me waiting till a job comes up in the US for me then marrying her which she understands however that means having to wait for a job to pop up meaning we would have to let fate decide...

Any thoughts?
Sounds like this is a personal choice to make here so ultimately it's up to you, but personally I'd go ahead and get married and apply for residency (green card) based on that. Make sure you have 'proof' that you have met and in a real relationship - photos, letters, cards from loved ones - and then set up a bank account together with both your names on it and keep the statements. It (green card) will give you freedom to work anywhere you like. Your fiance may have to support you for a while though at first because you won't be able to work legally before you get your paperwork back. All the best with your decisions!

Michelle