C++ programmers in Sydney

Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Blooregard Q Kazoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default C++ programmers in Sydney

How did you manage to get your first role and how long did you have to wait? I'm here on an ETA visa looking to get a role so I can get a 457 visa.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C++ programmers in Sydney

I can't directly comment on Sydney, but generally no-one in IT will even look at your CV unless :

a) You are in the country and available NOW.
b) You have a permanent visa or citizenship i.e. you can stay long term.

I'm sure loads of people will be able to correct me on the above two points, but that's the consensus I've picked up on [and have personal experience of] during the last year.

Plenty of jobs here in Perth in java and .net - don't know about C++ to be honest, not seen much corporate work in that.

To be blunt if you here on a hols visa and looking for a 457 sponsorship, I think you are wasting your time. Having said that, I'd like to be proved wrong.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Point A isn't a problem since I'm already in Sydney, hopefully point B won't be one either. I'm sure plenty of other people have taken the same route as I have...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blooregard Q Kazoo
Point A isn't a problem since I'm already in Sydney, hopefully point B won't be one either. I'm sure plenty of other people have taken the same route as I have...
Indeed. However, I stand by my comment about it being hard without a visa
However, on reflection my initial post was somewhat 'negative' in tone. Having read through your previous posts I do admire your bottle in jumping on a plane and coming here to look for something. Have you tried the usual agencies ? Robert Walters, Talent, People in Computers are three I can think of straight away. They might know of something. Also, the usual standby seek.com.au [although I'm sure you are aware that anything on there is to be taken with a pinch of salt].

It would be better to try and get to speak to people in person - submitting your CV on-line will probably means it gets dumped as you don't appear to have a work visa.

If you wish PM me and I can email the chap who represents me in Perth - he might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

I wasn't aware of the 3 you've mentioned, I'll be sure to give them a call tomorrow. Recruitment agencies are pretty much the same the world over so I'm under no illusions about what I'll have to go through to get a job.

I'm not too fussed where I work, have laptop will travel.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

LukeS is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my current role in Sydney with ThoughtWorks (Software Developer) shortly after arriving in November. I went through a couple interviews in the UK and then finished the process over here. I arrived on a working holiday visa and now have a 457.

If you like programming and have an interest in the newest languages/frameworks and agile methodoligies then feel free to shoot me a PM with your CV and I can forward it for you.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Cheers, I'll send you it via PM. Doesn't hurt to have it submitted to as many places as possible
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:34 am
Just Joined

adlewis71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in an IT Recruitment Agency and we are in the process of bringing someone over from South America for a position in Sydney (on a 457).

We actually have the capability to bring over approximately 100 individuals on the 457 program (from memory). So it is definitely possible - no question about that.

Obviously, it does depend on your skill set - and the two points that were mentioned previously do generally hold true (without being negative) - in the sense that very few agencies would consider anyone from outside of the country. However - we are currently considering a number of individuals from outside of the country - just so you know. And I am sure that there are other agencies out there that do the same.

It all depends on your:
(a) Skill set; and
(b) Communication skills (generally);

Feel free to PM me with your CV - if you are looking for a position in Sydney. I can't promise anything - but more than happy to see if we can help you.

Last edited by adlewis71; Apr 12th 2007 at 10:35 am. Reason: Quick comment about CV
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

I've sent you a PM
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:43 am
Just Joined

adlewis71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Back again.

Just one more quick comment.

In relation to your skillset - it will obviously depend on the demand for your particular skillset and/or experience and whether or not there is a shortage of Australians who can do that particular job.

For example, if I were to be advertising for a Java/J2EE Programmer with a particular skillset - and there were very few Programmers on the market with that particular skillset - then a company would be more than happy to look at people from overseas. However, if there were 2 million Australians (slight exaggeration) that have that skillset and are looking for a position - then the situation would be different.

Hope that makes sense. All the best to everyone with their search. Just remember when there is a will - there is a way! I mean that seriously!

I always wanted to teach in South America from the beginning of my teaching career (which was a few years ago now) - and found a way of getting to the U.S. (on a particular type of visa) and then found a way of getting a job in an international school. It wasn't easy - I will be completely honest - and required a lot of patience and hours and hours of searching on the internet. But it happened - and I taught in South America for 3 years as a result - and loved it.

Enough of my essay for today.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

hottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nicehottroc is just really nice

This will sound a daft question but how do I PM my CV to you?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:25 am
hr1
We need more POMS in Oz!

hr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002

To be blunt if you here on a hols visa and looking for a 457 sponsorship, I think you are wasting your time. Having said that, I'd like to be proved wrong.

This is incorrect.
Many employers and recuitment agencies have been able to sponsor IT staff with say min 2-3 years IT experience under the 457 Visa category, and that is still happening as far as I know. Many backpackers who enter Australia on a 417 ( Working Holiday Visa) convert it to a 457 Visa after first securing a job offer through an employer or a sponsoring Recruitment company. Only takes 4-6 weeks to apply for 457.Might cost you approx AUD$1200 ( please check this figure yourself)

I was an IT recruitment consultant previously but got into Software Testing 7 years ago. I used to be the guy who filled up the 457 Visa application forms for IT staff coming in from Ireland and UK.

Have a look at how sucessful the 457 has been:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1556981556

Last edited by hr1; Jun 20th 2007 at 6:34 am.