Brisbane IT jobs....

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane IT jobs....

Thanks for the advice. I have a job to apply for today, closing date on Monday and I think I will then pull my CV apart and as you say, "dumb it down" a bit. Will keep you posted
Kelly
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

wow look at this, I posted this over a month ago and guess what? still no job I am at a point where I've lost all my confidence and am in a state of dispair. If it goes on much longer I will have to go home or lose the plot. Theres not much to enjoy about Oz when you have no job/no money and see your bank balance almost zilch
Anyone else taken longer than 3 months to find a job? how do you cope?

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Thanks for the advice. I have a job to apply for today, closing date on Monday and I think I will then pull my CV apart and as you say, "dumb it down" a bit. Will keep you posted
Kelly
Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

wow look at this, I posted this over a month ago and guess what? still no job I am at a point where I've lost all my confidence and am in a state of dispair. If it goes on much longer I will have to go home or lose the plot. Theres not much to enjoy about Oz when you have no job/no money and see your bank balance almost zilch
When I was backpacking there many many moons ago, I had such a buzz in my 1st few months I was determined not to go back early due to lack of cash. The fact I had met some great people and had such a life-broadining experience spurred me on, so I went knocking on doors, visit job centre, agencies, local ad's, yellow pages etc. and applying for anything that came my way...well almost I narrowly escaped a job selling kids educational aids where I had to rehearse the cheesiest lines and even point to my name tag, I circled a park memorizing this crap until I got a call for a warhouse job. I dont think they'd ever seen anyone so enthusastic !

The point is do any job that pays to get some short term cash, then your confidence will trickle back and you can plow efforts into the kinda job you really do. Why restrict your options to just IT if its only short-term ?
You may feel a bit humble but worth a try before booking return filghts I'd say.

PS what do u do in IT ?

Chin up & good Luck,
SB
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Hi, How are you doing now? Did you find a job or head home? It might sound like I'm just being nosey but I'm in the process of doing my skills assessment now and it's a lot of work, money & heartache just to find no bugger will give you a job you are qualified & experienced for when you get there!

kevin
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kevin
I've been working now for 2 weeks! I got a job as a Software Support Analyst working on helpdesk with SQL and Access databases.
It took me exactly 4 months to find this job and the money isnt what I was hoping for but the prospects are good. Its hard work and I feel a real sense of achievement that I stuck with it and didnt give up
GOOD LUCK!
Kelly
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that! A bit of good news!

When you say the money is not what you wanted, is it enough to keep the wolf from the door or just to help spend less savings each month?

If I'm prying too much feel free to tell me to Bu@@er off!

If I can ask 2 more questions,
Do you think it is a problem with your specific field or IT in general?
Now you have an OZ employer on your CV do you think your next step could be back to where you were or do you think it will be 'work your way up' al over again?

Kevin
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuckinswansea
Thanks for that! A bit of good news!

When you say the money is not what you wanted, is it enough to keep the wolf from the door or just to help spend less savings each month?

If I'm prying too much feel free to tell me to Bu@@er off!

If I can ask 2 more questions,
Do you think it is a problem with your specific field or IT in general?
Now you have an OZ employer on your CV do you think your next step could be back to where you were or do you think it will be 'work your way up' al over again?

Kevin
Hi Kevin
I earn enough to live on a tight budget unless I break into savings, but as I said, prospects are good and there is a possibility of a pay rise in June which will make things easier. However, i'm here with my two daughters so I have 3 mouths to feed not one! I found that there are plenty of jobs out there but as I was a jack of all trades, I didnt quite fit into alot of them. SQL and linux are v big over here, I had experience with both but not enough, I do think that with 6 months Oz experience on my CV I will be in a much better position though. Getting that first break is definitely the hardest.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:00 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

Kellyjs!!
I just wanted to say congratulations!!
My heart was really going out to you last month when reading your thread!!
We fly out on the 28th Feb and hubby has just starting sending his resume off. The fun starts now!!
He is a SAP Business Analyst.
Good luck for the future and I am really pleased it has worked out for you!
The Quinns
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou It was pretty hard going for a while I must admit
The best of luck to you both
Kelly x
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kevin
I've been working now for 2 weeks! I got a job as a Software Support Analyst working on helpdesk with SQL and Access databases.
It took me exactly 4 months to find this job and the money isnt what I was hoping for but the prospects are good. Its hard work and I feel a real sense of achievement that I stuck with it and didnt give up
GOOD LUCK!
Kelly
THAT IS GREAT NEWS! Congratulations...
If there is anything that you think that other IT hopefuls can do would appreciate your advice and experience... My OH is a bit of a jack or all trades too so I do worry.
Was there any employment agencies that were particularly helpful (or NOT!)?
Can you tell me what sort of pay range you saw when you were looking? Just to give me an idea.

Thanks and Well Done. I hope that you and your girls are happy with your move and that they have settled well. Think it's very brave of you to go it alone...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Well done Kelly,
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Brisbane IT jobs....

I do like the sound of Brissy but always thought IT jobs would be more thin on the ground...maybe too sweaty in Summer too for me & our fair-haired boys.

Opinions anyone ??
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi sunburn
Thanks!
I'll give my opinion on Brissy and IT for what its worth. Well first of all, I have found the weather to be less extreme than other states, its not snowing in the morning and 40 degrees in the afternoon for starters! and thats not a joke Yes its hot but if you like heat it is bearable. If you dont like the heat I would question anyones motives of moving to australia in the first place he he
As for your fair skinned boys, I am the original celtic stereo type, blondish red hair, freckles and green eyes, nuff said! As long as you make sure you slip slop slap its all good :-) I love Brissy because there is so much to do, especially if you have sons they will love it!
We are having an IT boom and I must say there are loads of jobs out there if you have the right skills.However from my experience be prepared to get in the back of the queue as a fellow Ozzie with the same experience will get the job first and although disheartening fair enough I think. Its so true what people have said on here, you will either fall into the category of getting a job as soon as you get here or wait about 4 months and apply for about 100 jobs before the right one comes along (As you know I was in the later category)
Hope that helps?
I can always point you in the direction of a few good websites and agencys if your interested just pm me.
Kelly x
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there sorry its taken me a while to reply, I dont come on here very often these days!
Being a jack of all trades is a good thing because they are quite big on skill matrices here or having bullet point key skills at the top of the resume, so the more youve touched on the more your cv will be flagged up. I am afraid if I am honest my real problem was selling myself at interview, I'm really bad at that!
I'm sure you will be fine, I now see that I was lucky to have to wait so long because the people that I work with now are a really good fit

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
THAT IS GREAT NEWS! Congratulations...
If there is anything that you think that other IT hopefuls can do would appreciate your advice and experience... My OH is a bit of a jack or all trades too so I do worry.
Was there any employment agencies that were particularly helpful (or NOT!)?
Can you tell me what sort of pay range you saw when you were looking? Just to give me an idea.

Thanks and Well Done. I hope that you and your girls are happy with your move and that they have settled well. Think it's very brave of you to go it alone...
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

[quote=kellyjs;4331039]Hi sunburn
Thanks!
I'll give my opinion on Brissy and IT for what its worth. Well first of all, I have found the weather to be less extreme than other states, its not snowing in the morning and 40 degrees in the afternoon for starters! and thats not a joke

...Guess yoy mean Melbourne ?

Yes its hot but if you like heat it is bearable. If you dont like the heat I would question anyones motives of moving to australia in the first place he he
As for your fair skinned boys, I am the original celtic stereo type, blondish red hair, freckles and green eyes, nuff said! As long as you make sure you slip slop slap its all good :-) I love Brissy because there is so much to do, especially if you have sons they will love it!
We are having an IT boom and I must say there are loads of jobs out there if you have the right skills.

"right skills"...Pls quantify ?

However from my experience be prepared to get in the back of the queue as a fellow Ozzie with the same experience will get the job first and although disheartening fair enough I think. Its so true what people have said on here, you will either fall into the category of getting a job as soon as you get here or wait about 4 months and apply for about 100 jobs before the right one comes along (As you know I was in the later category)
Hope that helps?
I can always point you in the direction of a few good websites and agencys if your interested just pm me.

will do,
Cheers
SB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.