Brisbane IT jobs....

Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:35 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane IT jobs....

Where do we start looking for an It job for my OH - no one seems to rate recruitment agencies and it is very hard to know from here where to start. Any ideas? He is a technical engineer. Also - any idea what sort of wage we should be expecting?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane IT jobs....

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Where do we start looking for an It job for my OH - no one seems to rate recruitment agencies and it is very hard to know from here where to start. Any ideas? He is a technical engineer. Also - any idea what sort of wage we should be expecting?
Start looking on www.seek.com.au, yes its full of agencie ads (and jobs repeated several times) but it does have some adverts in direct from the companies hiring

http://australianit.news.com.au/?from=ninews_leftnav

This link will take you to the Australian IT website, if I remember rightly you can put in your skillset, quals etc and it will give you a general market rate.

As a very rough figure I would say $50,000 but then again I dont know his quals, so I could be out by quite some dollars.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:03 am

gedge has disabled reputation

salary zone may help with an idea of wages
Old Sep 29th 2006, 2:46 pm

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what quals he has either but he has 25 years experience with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Ministry of Defence (MOD) does that count for anything?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

I don't know what quals he has either but he has 25 years experience with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Ministry of Defence (MOD) does that count for anything?
Experience is of the essence of course, and 25 years should count for quite a bit, unless ageism comes into play!

Actually though, I did some work with the MOD some years ago and their computer systems were bespoke and totally useless for the outside world, what I am getting at here is that if your hubby has only worked for 25 years with the MOD he may have issues putting his skills to use in lets say a 'Financial environment'. Can you ask him what he does, if he is a coder or developer, what language? If he is a hardware, Networks sort of guy then he will have no problems with any of the above, as most 'hardware' is the same if not similar.

Find out from Hubby exactly what he does and I am sure you will get a lot of responses detailing wages etc.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again have you gone through the skills assesment? If so, what ASCO code did you use/get? State the number when you reply.

Cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jayjd12
Hi again have you gone through the skills assesment? If so, what ASCO code did you use/get? State the number when you reply.

Cheers
Sorry to sound like an idiot but what is a ASCO code?
We are not using his employment to get to Oz... I am applying when I qualify as a midwife. Hubbie working now but I will ask him the other stuff when he gets back and get back to you. He mainly worked for Foreign office and only recently works for MOD. Thanks for your help
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to sound like an idiot but what is a ASCO code?
We are not using his employment to get to Oz... I am applying when I qualify as a midwife. Hubbie working now but I will ask him the other stuff when he gets back and get back to you. He mainly worked for Foreign office and only recently works for MOD. Thanks for your help
Sorry as well, asumptions eh! If your husband had been applying as a Computing professional he would have chose an ASCO code that most suited his Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications etc, you will also choose an ASCO code (Australian Standard Classification of Occupation) ie Midwife = 2324-11. If you go to the below link you can see the whole range of codes and occupations.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:19 pm

Sorry as well, asumptions eh! If your husband had been applying as a Computing professional he would have chose an ASCO code that most suited his Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications etc, you will also choose an ASCO code (Australian Standard Classification of Occupation) ie Midwife = 2324-11. If you go to the below link you can see the whole range of codes and occupations.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Cheers
Hi jayjd12 - Ok I know a bit more now - think we will be going on a temp visa based on my profession apparently i should be able too find an employer that will do the visa for me!!! wooohooo! However it is hubbies job am worried about - he does 'networking'? Any ideas if he has a hope in hell?
If none of this makes sense it is because of the following a long day at the Emigrate show!
Bye for now
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi jayjd12 - Ok I know a bit more now - think we will be going on a temp visa based on my profession apparently i should be able too find an employer that will do the visa for me!!! wooohooo! However it is hubbies job am worried about - he does 'networking'? Any ideas if he has a hope in hell?
If none of this makes sense it is because of the following a long day at the Emigrate show!
Bye for now
Hi Babycatcher, just clicked onto the name by the way, very good .

Your hubby will be absolutely fine in networking dont worry, there is plenty of opportunities for that and his current work will be relevant.

As for you going on a temp visa, why? I would have thought you would have definately been up for a permanent one as a Midwife!

Any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Old Oct 8th 2006, 6:36 pm

[QUOTE=jayjd12]Hi Babycatcher, just clicked onto the name by the way, very good .
Baby catcher = midwife

Your hubby will be absolutely fine in networking dont worry, there is plenty of opportunities for that and his current work will be relevant.

That's brilliant news! Thanks.

As for you going on a temp visa, why? I would have thought you would have definately been up for a permanent one as a Midwife!

I need to get a job offer as I do not have the 12 mths experience for a PR - looking for a job offer and apparently unlikely to get offered permenant employment until I have been there. I think that's how is works anyway
Thanks again
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Brisbane IT jobs....

[QUOTE=Babycatcher]
Hi Babycatcher, just clicked onto the name by the way, very good .
Baby catcher = midwife

That's brilliant news! Thanks.

I need to get a job offer as I do not have the 12 mths experience for a PR - looking for a job offer and apparently unlikely to get offered permenant employment until I have been there. I think that's how is works anyway
Thanks again

No probs,

Take care and good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
Wel I been here for 2 months now and not found a job despite applying for quite a few. I am at the point where I am applying for things I could do with my eyes shut, some even totally unrelated to IT. What makes me laugh is that I am considered overqualified for most of them but I am quite happy to do it so why dont I even get a foot in the door? If I dont get a job in the next month I'm in big trouble so any idea what I can do that I havent already done? I have registered with agencies, seek.com.au, jobsearch and queensland gov, couriermail websites every day. I was an IT Manager, windows based, hands on AD, server, exchange, helpdesk support experience etc, also with line management exp, worked in education and before that an isp..quite happily do helpdesk but nope, they take a look at my experience and tell me I am underselling myself but dont find me something else!
The question is, why let me here in the first place if there is no bloody jobs? Ok I know there are loads of jobs out there but no one is interested in me My ego has taken a bashing but more to the point I wont be able to live here much longer so any advice appreciated please
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi guys
Wel I been here for 2 months now and not found a job despite applying for quite a few. I am at the point where I am applying for things I could do with my eyes shut, some even totally unrelated to IT. What makes me laugh is that I am considered overqualified for most of them but I am quite happy to do it so why dont I even get a foot in the door? If I dont get a job in the next month I'm in big trouble so any idea what I can do that I havent already done? I have registered with agencies, seek.com.au, jobsearch and queensland gov, couriermail websites every day. I was an IT Manager, windows based, hands on AD, server, exchange, helpdesk support experience etc, also with line management exp, worked in education and before that an isp..quite happily do helpdesk but nope, they take a look at my experience and tell me I am underselling myself but dont find me something else!
The question is, why let me here in the first place if there is no bloody jobs? Ok I know there are loads of jobs out there but no one is interested in me My ego has taken a bashing but more to the point I wont be able to live here much longer so any advice appreciated please

Have you considered "downgrading" your CV and telling a few white lies just to get your foot in the door ?
You may want to try it answering to an ad in a paper or individual job to avoid this lesser CV doing the rounds.
Another option would be contact companies directly.

If its any consolation I hear once you have an Oz employer on your CV then you are viewed in a different light.

Good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi guys

Really sorry to hear this Mate - suggest you try Sunburn's suggestion. Keep us posted and I will keep my fingers crossed for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.