Yogyakarta

Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yogyakarta

Aha -Chateau Refugee perhaps!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Aha -Chateau Refugee perhaps!
hahaha...you're probably right...they were destined for Australia but under King Abbott's policy the venerable Ozzie navy gave the smugglers some money to return them to Indonesia...
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
haha..I see thru' your subtlety IVV...but it doesn't bother me as I'm currently on a detox program.
You know, the ability to go 24 hours without alcohol proves conclusively that we are NOT alcoholics - although due to social commitements I've had to substitute that with 2 x 12 hour periods
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita

I don't know about Malaysia but here in RI as 'residents' there are ways and means to get some decent plonk, at 'reasonable' prices.
If you keep your ear to the ground here, you do hear about places. A certain temple where cheap beer off the back of a boat can be found. A certain banana leaf restaurant. I even heard about a hairdresser in Bt Ferringhi with a wine sideline. It happens. But do you want to risk doing it?
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you keep your ear to the ground here, you do hear about places. A certain temple where cheap beer off the back of a boat can be found. A certain banana leaf restaurant. I even heard about a hairdresser in Bt Ferringhi with a wine sideline. It happens. But do you want to risk doing it?
Quite a few years ago I took my newly arrived boss to the open air food market/coffee shops in Johor Bahru as he wanted to get a feel for the place.

The food as always was great but the rats running around between our feet might be considered off putting.

We'd got stuck into the beer as well when an old lady from one of the food stalls rushed up and took all the beer bottles, empty and full, and the glasses off the table. How she carried them all in one go I don't know.

Some official ish looking geezers walked passed and a couple of minutes later all the beer bottles and glasses reappeared.

Apparently the blokes were government inspectors or summat and beer wasn't supposed to be sold although as in any food market there were three or so stalls selling beer.

My new boss loved it.
We went back often but never saw the inspectors again.

I may have told this tale on BE before.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:39 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Quite a few years ago I took my newly arrived boss to the open air food market/coffee shops in Johor Bahru as he wanted to get a feel for the place.

The food as always was great but the rats running around between our feet might be considered off putting.

We'd got stuck into the beer as well when an old lady from one of the food stalls rushed up and took all the beer bottles, empty and full, and the glasses off the table. How she carried them all in one go I don't know.

Some official ish looking geezers walked passed and a couple of minutes later all the beer bottles and glasses reappeared.

Apparently the blokes were government inspectors or summat and beer wasn't supposed to be sold although as in any food market there were three or so stalls selling beer.

My new boss loved it.
We went back often but never saw the inspectors again.

I may have told this tale on BE before.
Reminds me of alcohol bans in Thailand for religious holidays where they serve you in plastic cups, should any official walk by....
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

and the Kuwaitis that have pots of "tea" in hotel lobby bars in London.