Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Indonesia?

Where to live in Indonesia?

Old May 24th 2013, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Will21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Indonesia?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a base outside of the UK where I can spend about 5 months a year. I have a location independent job so I'm basically free to go anywhere. Indonesia really stood out as a great place to go.

My question, though, is where in Indonesia should I base myself?

I'm looking for somewhere with the following criteria:

1. Reasonably cheap
2. Good weather (especially around November-March time)
3. High speed internet (for business)
4. Low pollution
5. Modern accommodation available (preferably serviced too)

Slightly less important criteria include:

1. Good nightlife and social scene
2. Close to beach
3. Not massively touristy
4. Good surfing nearby
5. Good gym facilities in area
6. Near to international airport.

Obviously not all of these criteria HAVE to be met, but the more the merrier

By way of background, I'm 26, like to have fun and live life to the fullest.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Further, if anyone thinks these criteria would be met in another country please fire away!

Will
Old May 25th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Indonesia?

I would suggest 3 locations. Bali, Bali or Bali !!!!
Away from the tourist areas up in the mountains.
Have you investigated the visa situation. A tourist visa only gets you 30 days. If want a longer term visa / residency then you are going to have fun and games in your situation.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Haha, thanks HK. I thought Bali would be suggested Any suggestions on how I go about finding an apartment? The mountains won't be too far from the beach and social scene will it?

Yeah, I know need to investigate the visa issue more. I will get to that shortly.
Old May 25th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Will and welcome to the forum. As is evident this Indonesian forum is not well contributed so I promised baked bean I will try to create a thread to give my impression of the country, and your post has opened the door for that.

Indonesia is a Republic and, after 300 or so years of Dutch colonial occupation it gained independence, after a struggle, around 1948. There is still a lot of Dutch influence in buildings and infrastructure. It has a population of over 240 million and is thus the 4th largest populated country in the world. It is an archipelago and runs principally from the North West in Sumatra, East to Papua and New Guinea. I think it has 3 time zones although, I hear, they may soon change those zones into one. It also consists of over 17,000 islands and is famous for having some of the most unusual collection of rare animals, flora/fauna and volcanoes.

The main export are its resources such as timber products, crude oil (although a net importer of processed gasoline) coal, natural and liquid gas and agriculture. There are also many manufactured products such as automobiles and motor cycles (Millions per annum). A friend of mine is CEO of an electrical transformer co. and this kind of manufacturing is expanding. The abundance of low cost labour is helpful but the lack of good infrastructure is detrimental to this obvious development expansion…they are working on that.

Tourism is also a huge contributor to the economy but that is largely concentrated in Bali and a few other smaller islands. Again the Government (which is battling corruption) is slow to exploit this market. Jakarta is the capital and is a huge metro-city with problems. It floods a lot and the traffic is horrendous. There are some of the biggest and modern malls and 5+star hotels I’ve ever seen but the city is dirty and unattractive and only expats with jobs would choose to live there. Ooops, we have an apartment in the centre of the city but I rarely go there from our villa in Bali. My wife goes on her own to see her family whilst I stay behind and see my ‘family’ in my local pub, where today’s lunch conversation was about Arsenal and the match at Wembley tonight!

For the OP’s requirement I also recommend Bali. It is predominately Hindu and is very spiritual, whereas the rest of Java/Sumatra is Indonesian style moderate Muslim and Sulawesi and the Spice Islands are Christian. Bali offers a lifestyle of, not only bars and clubs and restaurants, but aquatic sports like surfing and snorkelling and mountain hiking. It is also easy to use Bali as a base and explore many of the other islands as an eco-tourist as travelling, fares and food are cheap. Do NOT come for recreational drugs….the punishment, even for possession, is harsh.
Accommodation in Bali is very varied and very available. There are few apartments as the island has a height restriction on buildings but, if anyone has interest I can offer advice and answer specific questions on this thread. With regard to visas, once again, the Indonesian Gov’t is not too accommodating for long term stay. It needs reform but the politicos in Jakarta hardly get off their arse to do anything other than lining their pockets. A Visa on Arrival (VOA) is available after landing and costs US$25 for 30 days…..this is extendable for another 30 days for another US$25. A Tourist Visa can be processed in the visitor’s home country at the RI Embassy/Consulate and lasts 60 days after arrival. It is not extendable but I know some, in Bali, who have. There is another Social visa which lasts up to 6 months but needs a sponsor from Indonesia.

I hope this post will stimulate interest and I'm available for any questions and hope that others living in Indonesian will also contribute.
Thanks for reading.
Old May 26th 2013, 4:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Err not really for me Davita. More for Sue our Administrator who took the trouble to make an Indonesia forum after a request by someone. I think the someone has gone missing. Anyway, very nice to hear about a different country. Keep up the good work Davita you're doing a splendid job in between pub visits
Old May 26th 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Davita
Hi Will and welcome to the forum. As is evident this Indonesian forum is not well contributed so I promised baked bean I will try to create a thread to give my impression of the country, and your post has opened the door for that.

Indonesia is a Republic and, after 300 or so years of Dutch colonial occupation it gained independence, after a struggle, around 1948. There is still a lot of Dutch influence in buildings and infrastructure. It has a population of over 240 million and is thus the 4th largest populated country in the world. It is an archipelago and runs principally from the North West in Sumatra, East to Papua and New Guinea. I think it has 3 time zones although, I hear, they may soon change those zones into one. It also consists of over 17,000 islands and is famous for having some of the most unusual collection of rare animals, flora/fauna and volcanoes.

The main export are its resources such as timber products, crude oil (although a net importer of processed gasoline) coal, natural and liquid gas and agriculture. There are also many manufactured products such as automobiles and motor cycles (Millions per annum). A friend of mine is CEO of an electrical transformer co. and this kind of manufacturing is expanding. The abundance of low cost labour is helpful but the lack of good infrastructure is detrimental to this obvious development expansion…they are working on that.

Tourism is also a huge contributor to the economy but that is largely concentrated in Bali and a few other smaller islands. Again the Government (which is battling corruption) is slow to exploit this market. Jakarta is the capital and is a huge metro-city with problems. It floods a lot and the traffic is horrendous. There are some of the biggest and modern malls and 5+star hotels I’ve ever seen but the city is dirty and unattractive and only expats with jobs would choose to live there. Ooops, we have an apartment in the centre of the city but I rarely go there from our villa in Bali. My wife goes on her own to see her family whilst I stay behind and see my ‘family’ in my local pub, where today’s lunch conversation was about Arsenal and the match at Wembley tonight!

For the OP’s requirement I also recommend Bali. It is predominately Hindu and is very spiritual, whereas the rest of Java/Sumatra is Indonesian style moderate Muslim and Sulawesi and the Spice Islands are Christian. Bali offers a lifestyle of, not only bars and clubs and restaurants, but aquatic sports like surfing and snorkelling and mountain hiking. It is also easy to use Bali as a base and explore many of the other islands as an eco-tourist as travelling, fares and food are cheap. Do NOT come for recreational drugs….the punishment, even for possession, is harsh.
Accommodation in Bali is very varied and very available. There are few apartments as the island has a height restriction on buildings but, if anyone has interest I can offer advice and answer specific questions on this thread. With regard to visas, once again, the Indonesian Gov’t is not too accommodating for long term stay. It needs reform but the politicos in Jakarta hardly get off their arse to do anything other than lining their pockets. A Visa on Arrival (VOA) is available after landing and costs US$25 for 30 days…..this is extendable for another 30 days for another US$25. A Tourist Visa can be processed in the visitor’s home country at the RI Embassy/Consulate and lasts 60 days after arrival. It is not extendable but I know some, in Bali, who have. There is another Social visa which lasts up to 6 months but needs a sponsor from Indonesia.

I hope this post will stimulate interest and I'm available for any questions and hope that others living in Indonesian will also contribute.
Thanks for reading.
Wow, thanks Davita. Some interesting and useful stuff there.

How do you recommend I go about looking for a villa? (I'm ok with not having an apartment) Is it cheaper sorting it out once I get out there? Any parts of Bali in particular you recommend?

Also, very roughly, how long does it take to drive from one end of the island to the other?
Old May 27th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Will...I see from your profile you also considered visiting Las Vegas. As someone who used to live in Scottssdale AZ, and drove to Vegas often, I can say it is very different to Indonesia.
The USA is organized and generally everyone obeys law and order...Indonesia is 'managed by chaos' and no-one even knows how to obey anything. It is important to come here and forget logic and normalcy. Indonesian national pride and 'way of getting things done' is considered superior to their actual intellectual ability. Having said that with respect, one can find a certain charm once the culture shock is depressed, or at least, denied!

Re your questions of Bali.
Bali is split into different regions with respect to 'bule', the name they give to all white foreigners.
I suggest you open a map or google for Bali. Here you will see the island runs west to east and the airport is in the south shore. This is where most tourist action takes place. Further south from the airport is an area called Nusa Dua...it is almost an island and beautiful but mostly filled with 5+ star resorts and hotels...no-one actually lives there except wealthy tourists who may own expensive and private holiday homes.
Further east along the coast is another area called Sanur....this was the original tourist area and the beach is long but the tide goes out quite far. Sanur used to be called 'snore' by the young crowd but these days there is much more night life and things to do like fishing, bicycling/walking/jogging the beachwalk, eating and people watching. It is a one street area and I personally like it, but still believe it is more for seniors than a 26 year old.
Leaving the airport the opposite way west is where you will find Kuta, which is the most popular, and full of all the touristy traps of any resort island. I don't recommend living there but it can be fun for night-time entertainment.
Further northwest is an extension to Kuta called Legian which becomes Seminyak. This a more sophisticated area and has become more the choice area for living and still near the hub for night activity. There is a mixture of bars/restaurants/boutique street shopping but frequented less by the drunken youth type and more by couples. There is also a street predominately attended late at night into the wee hours by the Gay crowd.
Continuing north west on the main road, there aren't many so getting lost is almost impossible, is Kerobokan and Canggu where most expats live in villas, including myself. It isn't far from the beaches where surfing is considered safe but there are areas for more professional surfing.
Aboout an hour+ from the airport is another town in the hills called Ubud. This is also popular as it is considered the spritual and artisic capital. One certainly gets a feeling of tranquility there but it shuts down at night.

I could go on but just trying to keep this to the OP's questions.

You could drive totally around the island in a very full day but a casual 2 day trip with a stop on the north shore beaches (black sand and seeing dolphins) is more pleasant. There is a coast road and the island has a bisecting road thru' the volcanic mountains...so plenty for the adventurous. btw nearly everyone rents motor scooters...costs about US$5per day and cheaper, depending on length of rent, and needs an international driving licence.
Re accommodation. If on a budget I recommend arrive and check into a motel(US$30-60), rent a motor cycle and get a street map, learn a couple of Indonesian words and drive around and check with other expats or notices that abound on cafe walls etc. Many singles rent villas then sublet rooms or cabins within the villa grounds for months at a time.

Please shoot specific questions and I'll attempt less verbosity.

Last edited by Davita; May 27th 2013 at 1:40 am.
Old May 27th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Addit to my #7 above...too late to edit.

My maid has just rented a Honda Vario motor scooter (most popular model here) for our visitor arriving tomorrow and leaving Saturday. Cost was Rp 40,000/day approx US$4. Helmet thrown in but insurance....not sure.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi again Will...I see from your profile you also considered visiting Las Vegas. As someone who used to live in Scottssdale AZ, and drove to Vegas often, I can say it is very different to Indonesia.
The USA is organized and generally everyone obeys law and order...Indonesia is 'managed by chaos' and no-one even knows how to obey anything. It is important to come here and forget logic and normalcy. Indonesian national pride and 'way of getting things done' is considered superior to their actual intellectual ability. Having said that with respect, one can find a certain charm once the culture shock is depressed, or at least, denied!

Re your questions of Bali.
Bali is split into different regions with respect to 'bule', the name they give to all white foreigners.
I suggest you open a map or google for Bali. Here you will see the island runs west to east and the airport is in the south shore. This is where most tourist action takes place. Further south from the airport is an area called Nusa Dua...it is almost an island and beautiful but mostly filled with 5+ star resorts and hotels...no-one actually lives there except wealthy tourists who may own expensive and private holiday homes.
Further east along the coast is another area called Sanur....this was the original tourist area and the beach is long but the tide goes out quite far. Sanur used to be called 'snore' by the young crowd but these days there is much more night life and things to do like fishing, bicycling/walking/jogging the beachwalk, eating and people watching. It is a one street area and I personally like it, but still believe it is more for seniors than a 26 year old.
Leaving the airport the opposite way west is where you will find Kuta, which is the most popular, and full of all the touristy traps of any resort island. I don't recommend living there but it can be fun for night-time entertainment.
Further northwest is an extension to Kuta called Legian which becomes Seminyak. This a more sophisticated area and has become more the choice area for living and still near the hub for night activity. There is a mixture of bars/restaurants/boutique street shopping but frequented less by the drunken youth type and more by couples. There is also a street predominately attended late at night into the wee hours by the Gay crowd.
Continuing north west on the main road, there aren't many so getting lost is almost impossible, is Kerobokan and Canggu where most expats live in villas, including myself. It isn't far from the beaches where surfing is considered safe but there are areas for more professional surfing.
Aboout an hour+ from the airport is another town in the hills called Ubud. This is also popular as it is considered the spritual and artisic capital. One certainly gets a feeling of tranquility there but it shuts down at night.

I could go on but just trying to keep this to the OP's questions.

You could drive totally around the island in a very full day but a casual 2 day trip with a stop on the north shore beaches (black sand and seeing dolphins) is more pleasant. There is a coast road and the island has a bisecting road thru' the volcanic mountains...so plenty for the adventurous. btw nearly everyone rents motor scooters...costs about US$5per day and cheaper, depending on length of rent, and needs an international driving licence.
Re accommodation. If on a budget I recommend arrive and check into a motel(US$30-60), rent a motor cycle and get a street map, learn a couple of Indonesian words and drive around and check with other expats or notices that abound on cafe walls etc. Many singles rent villas then sublet rooms or cabins within the villa grounds for months at a time.

Please shoot specific questions and I'll attempt less verbosity.
This is golden, thanks Davita.

Regarding Las Vegas, I do actually spend about 5 months of the year there and absolutely love it For visa/tax reasons I unfortunately can't spend much longer.
I'm now looking for somewhere else to be for about another 5 months a year, whilst still returning to my UK homeland for a few months a year (I'm not a big fan of the weather and cost!)

I guess these leads me to a few more questions:

- What is the wet season like? Does it rain often or just hard every now and then? When LV cools down in Nov, I'd probably be looking to head over to Bali for a few months.

- Do you have any experience of doing visa runs? i.e. is it feasible to make a a quick return trip to Malaysia to get a new one month visa?
Old May 28th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm familiar with the tax requirements in USA for non-residents (NR) as I was a snowbird from Vancouver to Arizona for many years. One can stay 182 days in the U.S. but after the first year that can aggregate down to 90 days before having to file a 1040NR. I made the mistake of being honest and got hammered for Capital Gains when I sold our property.
Also, our welcome at the land border became an ordeal after 9/11 so we voted with our feet and left the USA. It is also too expensive to stay there as a retiree.
I'm surprised you can stay in NV/AZ during the summer...it was too hot for us and we would go there in late October and return north in April.

Re: in Bali the rains start in Nov to April, although it rained heavily 2 days ago, but they are more like storms and quickly move to other parts of the archipelago. It is also hotter during that time, so the rain is a welcome coolant and air cleaner although, unlike Jakarta, Bali's air is not so polluted. The sea quality is problematic from storm drain run-off and tidal flow from Java but there is work afoot to correct. Xmas/NY is not a good time to visit as half of Australia seems to come here...everything is congested. The season from June to late August is best weather but also good for tourists and hotel prices reflect this.
Most long-term foreigners quickly recognize the tourist timings and make appropriate arrangements to avoid. In fact, once someone arrives and intends to stay for long term there are many tricks to learn which makes a lot of the 'problems' diminish.

Re: the visa. Many expats here, without long-term visas, go to Singapore in the morning, give their passport to an agent and pick-up later, buy a duty-free bottle of hooch and return to Indonesia that evening.
Many others plan a short visit to KL get a new visa in 2 days and integrate into a Malaysian holiday. Visas are also available in Hong Kong if planning to visit there.
If correctly planned ahead airline tickets can be very cheap.

Last edited by Davita; May 28th 2013 at 1:58 am.
Old May 28th 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

I'm familiar with the tax requirements in USA for non-residents (NR) as I was a snowbird from Vancouver to Arizona for many years. One can stay 182 days in the U.S. but after the first year that can aggregate down to 90 days before having to file a 1040NR. I made the mistake of being honest and got hammered for Capital Gains when I sold our property.
Also, our welcome at the land border became an ordeal after 9/11 so we voted with our feet and left the USA. It is also too expensive to stay there as a retiree.
I'm surprised you can stay in NV/AZ during the summer...it was too hot for us and we would go there in late October and return north in April.

Re: in Bali the rains start in Nov to April, although it rained heavily 2 days ago, but they are more like storms and quickly move to other parts of the archipelago. It is also hotter during that time, so the rain is a welcome coolant and air cleaner although, unlike Jakarta, Bali's air is not so polluted. The sea quality is problematic from storm drain run-off and tidal flow from Java but there is work afoot to correct. Xmas/NY is not a good time to visit as half of Australia seems to come here...everything is congested. The season from June to late August is best weather but also good for tourists and hotel prices reflect this.
Most long-term foreigners quickly recognize the tourist timings and make appropriate arrangements to avoid. In fact, once someone arrives and intends to stay for long term there are many tricks to learn which makes a lot of the 'problems' diminish.

Re: the visa. Many expats here, without long-term visas, go to Singapore in the morning, give their passport to an agent and pick-up later, buy a duty-free bottle of hooch and return to Indonesia that evening.
Many others plan a short visit to KL get a new visa in 2 days and integrate into a Malaysian holiday. Visas are also available in Hong Kong if planning to visit there.
If correctly planned ahead airline tickets can be very cheap.
Many thanks once again Davita. The next thing seems to be figuring out when I'm going to fly out there! I will keep you updated. And I'm probably going to have some more questions at some point if you don't mind me picking your brain again
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Bangkok is an unknown quantity at this point

Enjoyed my recent trip to Bali - went to Ulawattu - Nusa Dua ( a friend has a massive and plush spa treatment - had a full treatment on the house.. ) Kuta ( too much hassle with persistent sellers and Ayana Resort ( especially the Rock Bar - Wow!! )
Hoping to go back soon!!!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Flight booked to Bali! Heading out there this week. Just for 4 or 5 weeks this time, but hoping I can find a home away from home and I come back often

Davita, if you're around, it would be great to go for a drink or a coffee sometime. It would absolutely be on me.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Will21
Flight booked to Bali! Heading out there this week. Just for 4 or 5 weeks this time, but hoping I can find a home away from home and I come back often

Davita, if you're around, it would be great to go for a drink or a coffee sometime. It would absolutely be on me.
Thanks for the invite Will...we are off to Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, mainly to renew our Make Malaysia our 2nd Home (MM2H) visa in our new passports, then we will tour South Malaysia for a while. We have open tickets so don't yet know when returning to Bali.
You can now breathe a sigh 'whew!' because you said 'it's on me' and you don't even know how much I drink!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

we are off to Kuala Lumpur on Sunday,
Bring a brolley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.