Visiting Bali

Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Visiting Bali

Originally Posted by Davita
When I posted 'trained monkeys' I meant they are very smart.
My brother in law visited this temple last year ..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pura_Luhur_Uluwatu

When there taking pictures a macaque stole his prescription glasses and threw them over the cliff edge...they got caught in some shrub branches further down the cliff but far too steep for my b-i-l to recover.
A very kind 'gentleman' said he could get them but would cost Rp100,000 (US$7:50 MYR28) so my b-i-l thought the guy would climb down but NO! he pulled another macaque out of a sackbag and pointed to the glasses. The monkey, on a long leash, went down and brought them back.
The 'gentleman' got the money and the 'monet' was put back into the bag with a cookie....to probably wait for another sucker tourist...
That in itself would be worth watching as long as it wasn't any of my possessions

Erm. Think we would miss the Sky Garden experience. Wouldn't want to show them up.

Enjoy the beach & sea for swimming. Is swimming OK ? Or is it a bit like New Zealand beaches can be. Massive undertow and surf.

Would love to see dusky monkeys and toucans in the trees. It is a fact that I love the feathered friends
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Erm. Think we would miss the Sky Garden experience. Wouldn't want to show them up.

Enjoy the beach & sea for swimming. Is swimming OK ? Or is it a bit like New Zealand beaches can be. Massive undertow and surf.
wub:
I can imagine your visit to SkyGarden would cause some controversy... especially when you asked the DJ to play some 'Twist' music or the Beatles. BTW there is a 'Beatles' band play in "Nirvana' in Seminyak on Mon; Wed; Fri. It's fun to watch the oldies dancing and sing-along.....from my stool at the bar...

There are some beaches in the tourist areas where swimming is done but the water isn't clear. Keen swimmers usually travel to snorkel and scuba-dive areas. I've seen many kids splashing around on the beach in Sanur, as it is shallow, but most tourists swim in the abundant pools in all resorts.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:22 am
`

I did as suggested. I looked away from the beach.

I'm big into birdlife of the feathered variety. It is something I cannot help . It's a love. What is there please by way of avian interest.
I would like to see any of that whilst Mr BEVs finds something to trek through or up.

Sanur looks to be more us as you recommended. We are now thinking perhaps two centre. Interior and then coast. Do you feel that a good idea?

New Zealand holiday guides are a bit bereft of information . They only list accommodation which is not much use.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you'd be comfortable in Sanur or Ubud but they are only about 1 hr apart...depending on traffic, which IS a big concern. The Bird park and Safari park are between the two.
I'd check into a resort hotel on the beach side of Sanur for a few days and try a day-trip to Ubud, if you like the place change...or extend in Sanur.
An alternative is to go to the North shore like Lovina (3 hours from Sanur) but you might be a bit lonely there as not much to do except take a water taxi early in the morning and see the dolphins. The sand is black from lava.
There is a lot to do in the interior like river-rafting...elephant walking in the safari park...hiking up volcanoes or driving 4 wheelers. Lots rent open top jeepneys to go off-road or off the beaten path. If you wish to drive yourself bring an International Driver's permit issued in NZ....or hire a driver... very cheap.
Bali is also famous for spa and massage. I don't recommend the old biddies on the beach...you never know where their hands were before they touch your body. Look for a decent spa on the roadside with A/C and sterile conditions, especially if having manicure/pedicure or facial. Massages and treatment are really good and cheap, except in the bigger resorts.
example: I just had 90 min massage where the girl came to our villa, as we have a massage bed, for NZD16.
Lots of brochures availble at the airport while waiting for luggage and all streets have cubicles selling all types of tours.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Right BEVS, let's head for the Bird Park, and the guys can go take a hike up the volcano
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The Bali myna bird looks like a sweet little thing. A bit different to the myna birds we get here.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Right BEVS, let's head for the Bird Park, and the guys can go take a hike up the volcano
No need to send your guys to Bali...send to Mount Sinabung near Medan, Sumatra....not far from your house BB. Wonderful views and they can bbq their steaks as they picnic....
Watch pyroclastic flow surge down the hillside during Sinabung volcano eruption - The Washington Post

Just make sure the life insurance is up to date
I'll PM my full name and address and send a check for the premium as I'd like to make money....
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:29 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
No need to send your guys to Bali...send to Mount Sinabung near Medan, Sumatra....not far from your house BB
Ooh, err, BB sounds like we need to move....the haze is one thing but having hot ash in your hair is the limit
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought I was kidding but now I look at the location it just needs a SW wind and you guys in Penang could suffer. Of course medan would be cindered.... and if the wind was straight from the West KL would be canned. Either way not good for either country. And if this was compounded by Mount Toba farting...you guys better get your shovels out.
I have a 2 bed apartment in Jakarta sleeps 6 at a push and a 3 bed villa in Bali sleeps10 at a push and have friends that could help so...remember my nic is Davita.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:42 am

Cheers Davita. Someone already told me that Mount Sinabung was a little active these days.

Someone told me once that if Mount Toba ever blew big time, the whole lot of us would be finished

Yeh I know, being so cheerful keeps me going.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

A few years ago we whole in-law family went to a small resort for Xmas...it was opposite Anak Krakatoa (child of Krakatoa) between Java and Sumatra in the Sunda Straits.
I'm the only bule (foreigner) but all the kids (nephews/nieces) learn English...so, armed with a couple of Bintang beers I had them sitting around for story-time by uncle 'bule'.
I recounted the history of when 'Papa' Mount Krakatoa blew up in 1883 with a force 13,000 times the first atom bomb and how 36,000 people died and the mountain vanished. I could see the interested big eyes so took another beer and gesticulated how the sound was heard aaaalllllll the way to Australia and debris is scattered aaaallllll over the planet.

"Any questions?" I asked.

One little hand went up..."Uncle...were you there!"

So BB the lesson is.....if Mount Toba blows...don't be there.... otherwise you'll never be able to tell the story.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:34 pm

Wonderful.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:02 am
`

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Ooh, err, BB sounds like we need to move....the haze is one thing but having hot ash in your hair is the limit
You still have hair?

So. Bali.

Should we have preparatory jabs in case of infection peril and disease?

Donkeys years ago I had to have a cholera jab that wiped me out for weeks. Was very poorly.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I think if you look-up any gov't health warnings for travel they have a plethora of jabs needed...it is generally left to the individual, unless a current infection is prevalent.
Bali is no different to most S.E. Asian countries in that respect, except it is a declared rabies area and I read that the hospitals don't have any vaccines available.
I would have good travel medical insurance rather than jabs....and don't pet dogs or monkeys...or even an occasional Ozzie.

The only prick i've suffered since I left the RAF in 1974 was my boss in an airline I joined.

Having said that it is Ramadan and many Muslims go to mini-haj in Saudi. I'd be worried some would return carrying MERS and I doubt if Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) is prepared....but that is something to keep an eye on before travel. Bali os 90%+ Hindu and not many Muslims would return directly to Bali as the Haji flights generally leave/return Jakarta or Medan.

Last edited by Davita; Jun 24th 2015 at 9:32 am.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:05 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Do you recommend renting a car and, if so, can you recommend a good hire company?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.