Visiting Bali

Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Bali

This is a response to IVVs Q. in 'happy b'thday' but thought I'd start a new thread so others may chip in.

October is good weather in Bali but November on it gets hot, sticky and rain.
A week before and 'till a week after Xmas/New Year is very busy in Bali as high season due to kids holidays. Restos are packed and prices tend to increase in hotels, resorts etc. The roads are jammed as big tour buses block the generally narrow road system.
I don't recommend this time to visit, in fact, we go to Jakarta where we have an apartment...just to get away from the Bali crowds.

Bali has a number of beaches which are all different. The personality and age of the visitor will determine the beach area best suited. Most resort area is in the South corner and taxis are readily available and cheap. There is a new minibus tour operator that I've often seen taking tourists further afield than a taxi would. Most visitors rent a motor cycle....or a car, usually with a driver.

Any questions please fire away and I'll attempt answers.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:14 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Bali

Good idea to start a new thread, thanks Davita. If I understand what you are saying, October is good weatherwise but December and January are a bit too hot and sticky, is that correct? Of course the Christmas/New Year period is to be avoided for other reasons.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The best weather window in Bali is July to October when it is generally cooler. July/August is also high season for visitors. Actually, with a slight breeze it is very pleasant right now.
November on is when it's hot, humid and sometimes wet.... but you're from Penang so very similar, just different timing.
We get what some say is the Australian summer storms.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

My wife has reminded me that October is also a bit hot and humid so I have to correct.

Last year we went to Canada/USA in late June and returned in mid-August. It was delightful in Bali till the end of September, when it started to heat-up...I incorrectly thought we returned a month later.

This year we will go back to Canada towards the end of August to still enjoy a late summer cruise between Vancouver and Seattle on a friend's yacht, as mine was sold...or rather, almost given away...
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:47 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

We might just be able to do September
Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I note your smiley xfingers and agree...these days nobody can guarantee weather but September is quieter as far as crowds go although I've noticed more locals travel to Bali than before...also Chinese.

I'll be in N. America when you arrive but, if there's anything I can help in your planning stage, please ask here if useful to others as well, or by PM or email if personal. I'll PM my email to you.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
We might just be able to do September
And a good time to escape Penang as September is usually the rainiest monsooniest month of the year. Just might be a little bit hairy taking off from Penang airport.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I expect a lot of those in the Antipodes will have Bali as a winter holiday destination. We have friends that have just come back from holidaying there.

Would you feel August a good month to visit?

What area would be good for an older couple just looking to chill out a bit but also interested in excursions to see the sights.

Is there much bird & wildlife that could be perhaps seen please?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Anytime between now and August is a little cooler and breezier than other months but August is also quite busy and the roads get jammed and hotels and restaurants are busy...I believe this gets reflected in the prices. The later in August into September will be better.
Bali is best known for sun, surf, snorkel and partying but there are lots of other things to do.
There is a Bali Bird Park and not far away from it is the Bali Safari and Marine Park. As Bali is such a spiritual place there are many, many temples to see. The Temple on the Lake Bedugul, as depicted on the back of Rp50,000 note, for example, and the fountains at Tirta Gangga and Ujung water palace.
Search things to do in Bali and eliminate anything to do with beach.... will produce days, if not weeks, of interesting excursions. Generally, it is best to go on an organised tour to view or, if more than 2 couples sharing, a private tour driver and minivan can be arranged on a daily basis, before arrival, or through a hotel/tour Co..
For the more mature visitors I suggest staying near the beach in Sanur. This was the first resort area and is still considered by older people as the best as there is a beach pathway which parallels a single street full of shopping and restaurants.....but night-life is more subdued than Kuta/Legian/Seminyak.
If not wanting to be near the beach then I suggest Ubud (made well known in the movie "Eat, Pray, Love") It is a little cooler as at a higher elevation and has a monkey park and a beautiful 'Hanging Garden' restaurant which has a dining verandah hanging over a ravine...quite spectacular. Also, some of the areas for excursion may be closer to Ubud.
BTW from next month Kiwis don't pay for 30 day Visa on Arrival (VOA)...Ozzies still do...something to do with bitching about executing some Australians.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:56 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is there much bird & wildlife that could be perhaps seen please?
Well done Davita, for not concentrating too much on this question
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well done Davita, for not concentrating too much on this question
Hahaha...hadn't had enough Bintang beer or Hatten Rosé when I wrote my post at 6:10pm to notice the opportunity for innuendo.....but I'm better now..

For Birds and Wildlife try SkyGarden pub in Legian street, Kuta...SkyGarden, #1 Clubbing Destination with 8 Great Pubs & Clubs
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that wasn't quite what BEVS had in mind

The Monkey Park sounds interesting
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I misnamed...it's called the Monkey Forest....http://monkeyforestubud.com/index.php

I can see why BB is interested...looking at her portrait avatar I'm sure she can find some long lost relatives living there.

BTW anyone going should ensure their sunglasses, jewelry, cameras, purses etc are all secured or attached.....these monkeys are trained thieves.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Davita
I misnamed...it's called the Monkey Forest....Sacred Monkey Forest Ubud Sanctuary - Mandala Wisata Wenara Wana - Padangtegal Ubud Bali

BTW anyone going should ensure their sunglasses, jewelry, cameras, purses etc are all secured or attached.....these monkeys are trained thieves.
Yeh same at the Penang Botanic Gardens. The Macaques (my current avatar) are little devils. Best not to get too close. Whereas the dusky leaf monkeys are very well behaved.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I posted 'trained monkeys' I meant they are very smart.
My brother in law visited this temple last year ..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pura_Luhur_Uluwatu

When there taking pictures a macaque stole his prescription glasses and threw them over the cliff edge...they got caught in some shrub branches further down the cliff but far too steep for my b-i-l to recover.
A very kind 'gentleman' said he could get them but would cost Rp100,000 (US$7:50 MYR28) so my b-i-l thought the guy would climb down but NO! he pulled another macaque out of a sackbag and pointed to the glasses. The monkey, on a long leash, went down and brought them back.
The 'gentleman' got the money and the 'monet' was put back into the bag with a cookie....to probably wait for another sucker tourist...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.