Visit to Lombok

Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:17 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visit to Lombok

While researching a trip to Bali in November/December I came across many recommendations to visit Lombok as well as, or even instead of, Bali.

I also see that Air Asia do direct flights to Lombok out of KL.

So any tips/thoughts on this idea would be most welcome.

++IVV
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit to Lombok

Be very careful entering or exiting Lombok by air...I understand it is NOT a designated port for the free Visa on Arrival (VOA). Today's Jakpost has an article written by a tourist from Capetown who had a problem recently with his visa. He entered RI in Bali on a free VOA but planned to exit from Lombok till he found he couldn't, due to Indonesia's stupid immigration rules. He nearly missed his connection in Singapore back to Capetown.
Better make sure before planning to visit Lombok

The joke here is that Lombok was supposed to be a new version of Bali...it is NOT.
Firstly, it is seriously Muslim and the people are called 'Sasak' which, imo, mean unfriendly. The beaches are nice and some are pristine but there is little else. There are 3 islands just NW offshore that have become quite touristy...Gili Trawangan is the most popular with the snorkeling/partying crowd...the other 2 are more laid back...no cars on those islands. It is easier to get there by fast ferry from Bali than by air as Lombok International airport is in the middle of nowhere.
Story is the Abu Dhabi investors stirred the RI government to build this airport as they were going to develop the south shore beaches but Abu Dhabi Development Corp. went bankrupt so Lombok now has a 'white elephant' airport. The smaller one, just outside the main town Mataram, was more convenient but now closed.
The place will surely be developed for tourism but it aint gonna happen in my life. A Chinese Co. wanted to build but the Muslim community only want Arabs to get involved.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:40 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that insight Davita - just what was needed. If the volcano behaves then it sounds like Bali is the better bet. Incidentally Yogyakarta (my review to come soon) is not a designated port for free visa either and a VOA was a hefty $35 each.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Correction to my post #2...it was the Dubai Emaar Dev. Co. that went bankrupt...not Abu Dhabi.
Emaar, Indonesia part ways on Lombok project - Emirates 24|7
Old Oct 30th 2015, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Further to my non-recommendation for infidels who may wish to visit Lombok...here is a link to an article recently published in many newspapers.
It basically says what I said above...that Lombok...other than the 3 Gilis I mentioned.... is fanatical Muslim.....
Near Bali, Lombok invests in Sharia tourism | The Japan Times
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:45 am
Hostage Negotiator

I see Lombok has a misbehaving volcano now, Davita, which has caused many flights to and from Bali to be cancelled.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I see Lombok has a misbehaving volcano now, Davita, which has caused many flights to and from Bali to be cancelled.
Mount Rinjani on Lombok is spewing Ash but, so far, Bali airport isn't closed...only Virgin Australia and Jetstar have cancelled flights in/out Bali.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Lombok, oooh 24 years ago.

Didn't like any of it except for the hotel and the snorkeling from the hotel grounds.

Outside the hotel it was yuk.

Smells of horse everywhere, which is fine for some I suppose.
And as said above not very friendly.

Bound to have changed over 24 years but for the better???
We wouldn't want to try it again.