Trip to Bali

Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Christine2203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trip to Bali

Hello, I'm Christine. I'm planning to visit Bali very soon and wanted to find out what it's really like from someone who has lived there and knows it well. I'm a little worried by all the negative reports about Bali that you can read on the web. It would be great to get a balanced view. My worries are upsetting my karma!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:23 am
Just Joined

JaniceRae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trip to Bali

Hi Christine don't know if this helps you but I always dreamed of going to bali so my husband and I went in 2004 and hated it we were there for one months holiday.You would be trying to lie down the beach and the hawkers would not leave you alone they were like flies you could not see the sun for them.You would get a manicure and before you knew it there would be two off them doing the manicure then they would demand double the money and get real nasty.it got to the stage that I was trying to avoid going down certain roads back to hotel as they would give you hard time for getting nails done else where.When you bought items of clothes you would get home to find things not in bag,and when we exchanged money at the exchange places they tried to rip us off for two hundred dollars,i was lucky a man had warned us to be on the look out for this or we would have been done yet I counted as he dealt the money up and it looked good .I had to have him do it three times to get it right and not allow him to touch it.The food is very cheap but I got bad Bali belly and thought I was dying my husband said he seen the cook in the toliet and he never washed his hand yuk.I always got the feeling that behind there eyes they do not like you.The beach is dirty in the morning with leaves that wash up on shore and they have to rake beach and bury the rubbish.There is nicer country's to visit I would never go back, sorry for all the negatives .

Last edited by JaniceRae; Feb 26th 2013 at 9:26 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Bali many many times and I love it there. Having said that I know several people who have been and hated it !!! I think its the little things that tip the balance.
If you are not used to the Bali hawkers it can be a difficult experience at first. It used to be worse a few years ago but I find they are less pushy than they used to be. However, I have never, ever seen an aggressive hawker. They would only get angry if they were dealing with someone very rude. If you ignore them they will soon go away. Be polite smile and say no thanks. No need to to repeat it or raise your voice when they dont immediately disperse. After you have smiled and said no just ignore them as if they were not there and they will soon be on their way ! They are not stupid and spot newby tourists a mile off (white untanned skin is a giveaway) and you will be targetted.

I have also never, ever been ripped off when changing money at the money authorised money changers. If you try to change at a regular shop because they advertise a good rate then yes take care and watch out for hidden commission. At the authorised money chagers there is no commission and the rate is clearly published.
Most people get the Bali belly, even regular visitors. Be prepared for it and be prepared for a 24-48 hours bout when you are laid low in bed !!!
However Bali is the Island of the Gods. The most perfect place on earth...to some
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

It's a matter of opinion.

I can take it or leave it now after 4 or 5 visits.
My wife doesn't want to return.

Any hawkers or scammers come up to you just say 'sudaaah' to them and they'll leave you alone.

There are other places in Indon we'd like to go to but the missus just has difficulties with possible riots and Tsunamis etc etc.
I think it's an age thing now.

We have an Indon maid btw and she's great.

One of my mates dies in the Bali bombing.
We holidayed there before and after that event.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ex-Reg you are right. Opinion is divided..
If your missus is worried about riots and Tsunamis then I would suggest the Himalayas for your next holiday although hope she hasn't seen the movie 2012 !!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Tip: Learn to say 'NOT WANT' in the local language then they don't think your 'fresh meat'